Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m in Wyoming and have access to several national forests in my backyard with tons of options for off-roading. Most of our trails are old logging roads, mining, and Recreation for fishing holes. You simply find a trail with a fs number/Jeep symbol and wheel on. Very little restrictions.

So with that said what are Off-road Parks? Is this a east coast thing? I keep hearing the term but have no idea what that is. Sounds like you may have to pay to wheel and they are located mostly in high population areas.
Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You've got the general idea. It's like going to a private shooting range as opposed to just going to the mountains or dry river bed. Or a ski resort instead of backwoods with your friends.

The parks are usually well maintained and recovery vehicles are on hand to help when you get stuck. There will also be features not found in the local geography (mud pits, bouldering, etc). There are free public state-sponsored OHV parks, and also privately owned ones.

We're lucky and have the Rockies close by, but for most folks it's a way to do serious off-roading with driving 6+ hours each way.

OP
OP
telenerd

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool thanks for the info.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In mass you can’t offroad anywhere. Exceptions are a few beaches and farms that open up to events now and then. You’re lucky.
A lot of guys head to New Hampshire for trail roads like you described.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In mass you can’t offroad anywhere. Exceptions are a few beaches and farms that open up to events now and then. You’re lucky.
A lot of guys head to New Hampshire for trail roads like you described.
I read this and thought you meant "en masse" as in most places...you meant in Massachusetts. They both made sense but it made me laugh when I put it together.

I spent a summer in Rhode Island during college and was surprised by the lack of public spaces like state forests or national parks. Everything seemed privately owned, and if it was public there were way too many other people to get any kind of solitude. Really made me appreciate the "Open West."

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are an alternative for a lot of off roaders. They are mostly in the east due to the lack of relief. But do not make the assumption that an off road park is for Princesses. In the east i know of Rausch Creek in Tremont PA, and AOAA in the same region. The offer all kinds of off road experience , from the Green beginners trails to Black's and Reds for heavy crawling. In TN there's the Windrock park. Events are often help there, trails are minimally groomed. Yes you have to pay to wheel there. They are a great place to gather groups of different level wheelers.

This is to give you an idea of the trails, this is from our Annual Toy for Tots event a couple of weeks ago
Ford Bronco Tell me about Off Road Parks 262152828_4575011939255568_5334762065455963713_n

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Offroad parks are the only way for people who dont live near public OHV trails to wheel without trespassing(done plenty). They are often affordable and have recovery and even concessions available. Unfortunately they are usually lousy with atvs and dirtbikes, literally have had both crash into me while on trails. But they are alot of fun and there isnt much worry about going balls out and breaking stuff because you arent in the back country. I used to go to a small place near Xenia Ohio called Thrashing Trails. It was hilly, had a stream, had a drag strip type field, long climbs, tight woods, and pits and jumps. It was only about 90 acres but a helluva good time. Plus it was 12 min(if driving under your own power lol) from my house. Sure I had alot of other spots available that werent fenced or cared about, but there was always the risk of a ticket. I could even leave my vehicle there(broken) while I went home for parts or a tow rig. If I was in the mountains I would never attempt a 4 foot deep hills n' holes type mud pit in a CJ with a 4" lift and 33s open diffs. But there i made it 99% of the way through till my electrical system grounded out in the last hole. I winched out with long jumper cables, cleaned the distributor, then had a a atv tow me round and round till it fired up. Then drove home.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They are an alternative for a lot of off roaders. They are mostly in the east due to the lack of relief. But do not make the assumption that an off road park is for Princesses. In the east i know of Rausch Creek in Tremont PA, and AOAA in the same region. The offer all kinds of off road experience , from the Green beginners trails to Black's and Reds for heavy crawling. In TN there's the Windrock park. Events are often help there, trails are minimally groomed. Yes you have to pay to wheel there. They are a great place to gather groups of different level wheelers.

This is to give you an idea of the trails, this is from our Annual Toy Trot event a couple of weeks ago
262152828_4575011939255568_5334762065455963713_n.jpg
Agree. I'm not far from Rausch creek and I see a lot of groups from NY/NJ there because offroading options are very limited. I feel lucky to be only 30 minutes from two large offroad parks on the east coast as options are so limited unless you know someone with private land.

For reference Rausch creek is 3000+ acres and I believe AOAA is even bigger than that.

Sponsored

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I read this and thought you meant "en masse" as in most places...you meant in Massachusetts. They both made sense but it made me laugh when I put it together.

I spent a summer in Rhode Island during college and was surprised by the lack of public spaces like state forests or national parks. Everything seemed privately owned, and if it was public there were way too many other people to get any kind of solitude. Really made me appreciate the "Open West."
Ha.

there is a bus load of state parks, but they’re different than other states. They are more for preservation and to keep the whole thing from being paved. Mostly people are made unwelcome and invited to leave posthaste. A pretty good chunk of the cape is preservation, and Plymouth area too. It is nice that the whole state isn’t built up, but really would like them to open it up to more people to enjoy.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish I could teleport my Bronco to Banff Canada and go wheeling there amongst the Mounties
No need to teleport. There's a paved road that goes right there.

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, Explore ST, MG, Isetta, Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ha.

there is a bus load of state parks, but they’re different than other states. They are more for preservation and to keep the whole thing from being paved. Mostly people are made unwelcome and invited to leave posthaste. A pretty good chunk of the cape is preservation, and Plymouth area too. It is nice that the whole state isn’t built up, but really would like them to open it up to more people to enjoy.
I'm a recent transplant to RI (from MI and CA) and surprised at the lack of places to wheel around here.. very depressing as other area's I lived, I could drive 1/2hr to trailheads.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a recent transplant to RI (from MI and CA) and surprised at the lack of places to wheel around here.. very depressing as other area's I lived, I could drive 1/2hr to trailheads.
Yup. You just have to join some groups and go when a farm opens for a weekend. There also primative logging roads around, but mostly you need to go to nh and maine.
Sponsored