Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're not alone.

I bought a loaded Sierra AT4 in 2020 and at the end my only regret was not spending a little more and getting a Raptor. Love my Sierra though. I did the same with the Bronco, I've had Jeeps and appreciated the basicness of the base Willys with manual windows vs a Rubi, but still fawned over Rubis, so I ordered a loaded BL now that money isn't a issue. But I still keep building base/BD, and have a second reservation to use on one.
Sponsored

Rizz512

Base
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Zo6, Acura TSX
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not alone, went from BL non-sas, high, to Baseaquatch/v6/switches/rack. I too like to modify my cars and look forward to making it mine. A baseaquatch will be more than capable for any trail I feel comfortable taking on. In addition I can use the saved $10k+ on mods, vacations, gear, investing ect. I know off roading is going to give it some scratches and dents as well. I would feel less bad about taking on cosmetic damage and enjoying the trails on the base vs. banging up a loaded 50k truck. Like it's been said a million times here get what you want and can afford.

David196

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Traverse
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

base is a waste of money imo.

you will miss the washout flooring and big screen unless you only hold onto cars for a few years
Wash out flooring and the MGV is going to be horrible in a few year. I've worked in fleet vehicles with vinyl seats and wash out floor. They look like shit in a few years.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am a 7/1 res holder, got pushed to 2022 so I went to dealer and finalized a 2022 badlands (green), MT, high package and roof rack. No other extras. Around 47k

I keep going back to, all I really want is a pure driving experience.
But I got sucked into the glam of the fancy cameras, washout flooring, fancy extra goat modes and that slick swaybar disconnect.

So here is where I'm wondering if I'm crazy because it's almost and obsession.

I keep building a base mansquatch (green), roof rack, aux switches, and floor liners.
Comes in around 38k.

Nearly 10k cheaper.

So I'm in a tailspin of is the badlands really 10k better? After the shinny newness fades away, all I will really care about is wheeling and overlanding.

The washout lining and seats sound great to me because I take my dogs with me everywhere, but I do that now in my cloth seat ranger.

It's not a money issue but who doesn't want to save some cash if they can.

Anyways I'm rambling. Just hoping I'm not alone and if anyone wants to weigh in I'd be happy to listen. Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Lastly I'm considering buying some base wheels or similar with some basic tires for everyday driving. If I change to base mansquatch.

I've decided on going Big Bend after a ton of debate. I was able to drive around a Wildtrak for a day and loved it. I love the idea of the Badlands and Black Diamond for the floors, but have worries about water getting under the rubber mat and not getting back out. If you look at the wat the floor is laid into those two trims, there are holes for the rear vents on the floor and where the seatbelts are who knows where else.

MGV seats are pretty awesome, but in the winter, those are going to be cold seats and the summer, I believe that they are going to be hot.

Based on all of that, I was really leaning towards a base, but in the end, I thought that going Big Bend was a pretty good upgrade.

It gave me above the base: tinted windows, leather wrapped steering wheel, an additional GOAT mode (Mud and Ruts), allowed me to pick the interior color trim I wanted (I went SandStone), gave me all the grab handles and allowed me to go to the Mid Package interior (which is the highest I was willing to go).

What I lost from either Black Diamond or Badlands: underneath full length bash plates, one GOAT mode (Rock Crawl or Baja, depending on what trim you are looking at).

If I could have ordered a Black Diamond with cloth I probably would have done that. I could have gone Badlands, non-SAS, base interior for about the same price as the Big Bend with SAS that I ordered, but I think I would have had buyer's remorse not having SAS.

Money is a factor for me. My price before taxes on my build is approx $45,100 before taxes. This will be the most I've ever paid for a vehicle. I have owned a few Shelby GT500s (one was new, one was used) and a few new F-150s.

I envy people that money is not a factor and they can order a $50k plus vehicle without batting an eye. Other than vehicles or my house, I pay cash for everything. This is a second vehicle for me that I do not need, but want for fun. I figure a few years down the road, I will probably be able to trade in my Big Bend for a lightly used Badlands as I'm guessing 98% will not go off road beyond a light trail. In the mean time, I will upgrade my Big Bend with armor underneath, change out the front and rear bumpers as my budget and aftermarket permits and enjoy riding with the top down with my five year old little guy 😁 He and I will hit the trails, go camping and see where the winds take us....Probably mostly from the pickup line at school to home 😂

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 International Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4 door Base 2.7 auto sasquatch package, modular bumper, auxiliary switches, paint protection, cargo & floor liners, wheel locks, brush guard, door bags $45,000

2 door base 2.7 hardtop with same options as 4 door plus roof rack and bags for top $43,000

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am a 7/1 res holder, got pushed to 2022 so I went to dealer and finalized a 2022 badlands (green), MT, high package and roof rack. No other extras. Around 47k

I keep going back to, all I really want is a pure driving experience.
But I got sucked into the glam of the fancy cameras, washout flooring, fancy extra goat modes and that slick swaybar disconnect.

So here is where I'm wondering if I'm crazy because it's almost and obsession.

I keep building a base mansquatch (green), roof rack, aux switches, and floor liners.
Comes in around 38k.

Nearly 10k cheaper.

So I'm in a tailspin of is the badlands really 10k better? After the shinny newness fades away, all I will really care about is wheeling and overlanding.

The washout lining and seats sound great to me because I take my dogs with me everywhere, but I do that now in my cloth seat ranger.

It's not a money issue but who doesn't want to save some cash if they can.

Anyways I'm rambling. Just hoping I'm not alone and if anyone wants to weigh in I'd be happy to listen. Just wanted to get this off my chest.

Lastly I'm considering buying some base wheels or similar with some basic tires for everyday driving. If I change to base mansquatch.
Depends what you are going to do with it. If you plan on going off road then either get a Badlands or plan on spending 4k or more on some good shocks and probably that much more on new tires and rims. If just a mall crawler then save your money

EJC

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
The way I see it is, if you have the money to throw away then go right ahead and get the Badlands trim. If you don’t want to spend $10k+ go with the basesquatch. The basesquatch can do everything the other expensive trim levels can do beside the sway disconnect bar (which you can buy aftermarket manually) and the expensive tech which you don’t need it’s a want. I still see people off-roading over rocks with old broncos and outdated Toyota FJ cruisers with some mods.

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm of the mindset that simpler is better. I honestly wish there was an option to get a Base with no power locks or windows, no touchscreen, etc. My 2016 Jeep was flawless and had the old green LCD radio display. I had Waze on my phone and could AUX in and hear warnings and stuff like that over the speakers. Never needed CarPlay. I got caught up in the "new" and traded it for a 2020 Willys. The touchscreen was iffy and the trip odometer wouldn't reset. It was a known issue and the only way to fix it was to pull the dash and replace the entire cluster. No way my Jeep would ever be the same after that. I sold it 9 months in and ordered a Basequatch Bronco.

I was originally excited about a BD with the washout floors, but after seeing a video of how they actually work, I decided it wasn't worth the upgraded package. I've always put decent mats in my Jeeps and never had an issue with farting up the carpet. If anything did get on them, Simple Green and a soft brush made short work of it. I had a 2008 Chevy truck with vinyl floors and didn't see that they were any better or worse than carpet - I cleaned and treated them the same way.

For around a grand, you can add tint (to your liking), floor mats, and sliders to a Basequatch. What gets hard to add are things like heated seats, dual zone A/C, integrated cameras, etc. If those really matter to you and you think you'll miss them, upgrade. If not, stick with the Base. People have wheeled for decades without fancy cameras and crazy tech. Over your ownership, how many times would you *really* use those? Maybe a ton, but maybe not. That will drive your answer.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Opinions are like....and....we all have one. It matters very little what other people think, but it does matter how you react to them.
One life to live. Never look back. Do it right the first time.
Always make 'it' your own, which includes your Bronco.
Don't worry about what other people think.
Love your family and take care of them, and never take advantage of your family, always sacrifice for them. Take care of your material things, but make and use them well.
Three score and ten is a fact. Enjoy life, and yes, you are your brother's keeper.
Get the bronco you want and make it yours. Ride it hard and enjoy it.

DadLife

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah. This is what I keep going back and forth about.

It's damn near obsession at this point. Can I afford it, yes.
Do I really want to spend that much? I dunno know. Yes and no. The guy techy in me says hell ya you do.

The logical side says you can pocket the extra money if your damn a/c explodes in the house.

Up to this point the most expensive car I ever bought was 37k. I was much younger then and making terrible money so it was what I out all my money into. Had alot of pride in that ride.

Since then I bought used and honestly have been happy. So I constantly ask my self. Just because I can afford it do I need it?

I'm also worried that I will be hesitant to push a near 50k truck hard. Beating on 38k sounds much more appealing.

I need to sleep more on it for sure. All I know now is I'm waiting like most of us.
I can certainly appreciate this mindset. I’m a 4dr OBX with high package, 2.7, aux switches, tow package….. 50k when it’s all said and done…. The most I’ve ever spent on a new car was $17k when I was 19… drove it for a while and then replaced it with a used Honda Accord and have had that for a while. Just cuz I have the money doesn’t always mean I should spend it. So I do get a little hesitant thinking I don’t need to spend that.

my dilemma is I need a new car very soon… my 2010 accord exl has 165k miles and I need a bigger vehicle as I coach my sons baseball team and have two kids and wife to tow around… so anytime we all go somewhere in my vehicle it’s tough to bring a bunch of extras due to space.

my choice is coming down to wait for the new tundra or get this bronco. Idk but I will saymy plan is to use my monthly gains from options trading to pay for the monthly payment in hopes of essentially getting the car for free.

Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had the black diamond ordered originally. After doing the Bronco offroadeo, I converted to basesquatch. I see the cameras and 12" screen as fluff. I like the mgv and washout flooring but there are such things as seat covers and aftermarket floor liners. As much as I like the sway bar disconnect, I suspect it will become more of a liability or hindrance for as much use as I would get out of it. In my area, those cameras will always be covered in mud and or dust too.

4X4XFAR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, GT500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the black diamond ordered originally. After doing the Bronco offroadeo, I converted to basesquatch. I see the cameras and 12" screen as fluff. I like the mgv and washout flooring but there are such things as seat covers and aftermarket floor liners. As much as I like the sway bar disconnect, I suspect it will become more of a liability or hindrance for as much use as I would get out of it. In my area, those cameras will always be covered in mud and or dust too.
Fluff is the key word . . . I also went from BL SAS to Base SAS when re-ordering for 2022.

The lease residuals, and my experience with a couple of Focus ST1s (versus the ST2 or ST3), point towards the Base holding a greater percentage of value than the more expensive versions.

Reenmachine

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You do know that the sell the grill separately, right??? ;)

I had wanted a Badlands or WildTrak personally, but I didn't like the rims and tires on the 2 door. I really think the SBD is a game changer too. What I didn't want was 4.7 gears, MGV, and washout floors.

Must haves were adaptive cruise control and at least one locking differential. I, like others, ended up at right around $47-50k. Now, the high package is the best value in the upper trim levels, but crazy as it may sound adaptive cruise control was worth the $2300 difference between high and lux, because I do a lot of highway miles. I was really disappointed how the interior trim was locked to the capability trim, it made it impossible to get what I really wanted.

The OBX was a compromise of sorts. I am adding a Badlands suspension to it (without the SBD) and I am installing a helical limited slip in the front differential (not quite a locker, but it works above 20 MPH). I do more high speed off-road stuff than I do rock-crawl type trails. I am going with 33.5" tires. I suppose that I could have purchased a Badlands, installed carpet and seat covers in it... but I didn't think enough prior to ordering to come to that conclusion. Still, even when I re-did the builds over and over, I kept coming back to the OBX - and I want the BB grill!!! LMFAO.
Yeah I know the grills are interchangeable. I just remember the grill debacle from the 2018-20 F150 (everyone wanted to put the STX grill on Lariats and Platinums so they were unobtanium). My OBX kept coming out to 52k and all I really wanted was the roast seat covers and the heated steering wheel. Instead of 6 trim levels they really should have had three and had interior and wheel options on the top two. Sasquatch should be stage 1 with 33s or stage two with 35s and should include the swaybar disco. I would have spent the 52k or even more if I could have gotten what I wanted but decided to spend 34 and some change and find someone else to give the other 18k. (That might end up being Harley Davidson lol.)I certainly didn’t want to spend 52k then another 6 or 7 to change the stuff I didn’t want.

T.S.

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
moped
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I decided I didn't want to regret anything. I went BL, 2.7, lux.
That was my line of thinking as well, didn't want any regrets. Totally emotional, not based on any financial logic.

Squatchn'

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2021 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I went through a similar dilemma and wound up splitting the difference. Decided on a BD to get the MGV interior and wash out floors, along with full skid plates. Winds up being quite a bit cheaper than the Badlands, just doesn't have the fancy cameras (which I don't care much about anyway). I may replace the tires down the line with 33's but honestly the BD has everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.
Sponsored