Tennessee to California

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Driving out to see my cousins in California, with a Off-Roadeo stop in 'Vegas. Will catch T-day in Bend, OR with my brother and then Hwy One down the coast of California and back from San Diego hitting another cousin in Arizona.

Just did the first leg from Nashville to Fort Smith, Arkansas R. Bronco is pretty much broken in by now. Fort Smith dinner @ Super Taco, full service Mexican drive through in a tiny building across the street from a Taco Bell. Still open at 10:30. Breakfast at Benson's Grill, although it was hard to pass up the Calico Cafe, but choices have to be made. I had plnned on camping at the Lake Ft. Smith State Park campground, but was tired and opted not to set up camp in the dark. This is supposed to be a fish camping trip, but have to make it to the Off-rodeo on time, so fishing is limited to after T-Day on the trip back.

Bronco has been great on the freeway, but will wander if I don't pay attention. Averaged 18 mpg, 2 dr. base with auto on 265/70r16s (31.46") with regular unleaded. I have done one tank of premium and had a short trip that reported an average of 22.6 mpg. Could be worth it on the freeway if I can get another 4 or 5 mpg. as that would be better than breaking even, and extending the range as well for fewer stops. Plenty of power with the 2.3l. Was surprised/pleased with auto-bright headlights when needed. Next stop, Tucamcari New Mexico.

Two Route 66 historical hotel/motels in a row. Blue Swallow in Tucumcari (Dels for dinner) and El Rancho in Gallup NM. Great tex Mex in the hotel restaurant.
Ford Bronco Tennessee to California IMG_0059
Ford Bronco Tennessee to California tempImageAuqk53
Ford Bronco Tennessee to California IMG_0074
Ford Bronco Tennessee to California IMG_0083
Sponsored

Last edited:

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tucumcari you say? Where have I heard that name before...
Ford Bronco Tennessee to California GBU

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Averaged 18 mpg, 2 dr. base with auto on 265/70r16s (31.46") with regular unleaded. I have done one tank of premium and had a short trip that reported an average of 22.6 mpg. Could be worth it on the freeway if I can get another 4 or 5 mpg. as that would be better than breaking even, and extending the range as well for fewer stops.
I'm always skeptical of significantly increased mileage using premium fuel - I've just never seen a big difference - but if these engines truly see a couple MPG increase, I'll do it. The increase in fuel range from even a 2 mpg bump would absolutely make it worth it, particularly on long road trips.

Around here, the added cost of premium right now is about 10-ish%, which would only require about a 2mpg bump to break even.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NIce, and only watched that like a bazillion times over the years and missed it .
Same here. I just remember a conversation there in the movie where Lee Van Cleef perks up when someone mentioned it, and he rode the train there.
Weird how things like that stick in your brain over the years!

OP
OP
andrusoid

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same here. I just remember a conversation there in the movie where Lee Van Cleef perks up when someone mentioned it, and he rode the train there.
Weird how things like that stick in your brain over the years!
p
Indeed, will have to pull that one back up when I return to the fleshpots.

OP
OP
andrusoid

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm always skeptical of significantly increased mileage using premium fuel - I've just never seen a big difference - but if these engines truly see a couple MPG increase, I'll do it. The increase in fuel range from even a 2 mpg bump would absolutely make it worth it, particularly on long road trips.

Around here, the added cost of premium right now is about 10-ish%, which would only require about a 2mpg bump to break even.
By this date of the mostest gas prices ever, I can promise that my 2.3L base gets 24+ on the freeway if I keep it below 1.9 K RPM. Less than 10 in town though. Need to do a reset to test.
Sponsored