Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After having a few people get a little TOO comfortable with the Bronco, I made the plan on replicating the Sentry Mode found in Teslas to the best of my ability.

Cameras:
DR900X PLUS 2 Channel with IR
DR750X PLUS 1 Channel
You could also use the DR750X PLUS 3 channel package for the same cost. The reason I used two different cameras was for the ability to record trail runs in 4K without having to also run a GoPro. The DR750X is a 1440p camera. You can see the quality difference in the examples below.

Misc Equipment:
Micro2 Fuse Taps
Wifi Hotspot with 12v charger & optional USB-C battery bank.

What it does:
This system is hardwired to backup power which in turn is charged off the internal vehicle battery. The backup power has the capability to be charged via solar panels I have for the roof when overlanding.

While driving, it's just your average dashcam setup. The magic happens when you park and the system goes into 'parking mode' - AKA, Sentry mode. Until I return to the vehicle, all cameras are recording 1FPS and will automatically activate and record videos of any motion (internally) or if the vehicle is tampered with in any fashion internally or externally (all cameras) via shock sensors. This works with the doors and roof on or off, and all cameras are shielded from direct rain. I have the option of external motion activated alerts if needed.

Any incidents are immediately transmitted over a wifi hotspot to the cloud and I get an emergency ping on my phone with the ability to view live video from anywhere.

For the wifi hotspot, I am using a spare cell phone plugged into a 10,000mAH battery pack via USB C, which in turn is topped off by the vehicle battery. This gives me approx. 1 week of standby power for wifi.

The system is set up to first attempt to use my home wifi. If it's unavailable, it falls back to the built in vehicle WIFI. If that is unavailable as well, it falls back to the wifi hotspot. This saves data when parked at home but assures instant notifications on the move.

The entire setup is designed to switch off if the vehicle battery crosses a voltage threshold to make sure I don't come out to a dead battery.

The Install:

Zero wires visible as I piggybacked off the rearview mirror harness and entered the vehicle trim that way. A little tricky to route it around the window frame but a trim tool helps greatly here.

Free Pro Tip: Despite the onboard vehicle owners manual stating the in vehicle fuse panel is behind the glove box, it is not. Those instructions and photos are actually from the Bronco Sport. You have to remove the entire bottom dash piece below the steering wheel and the the in vehicle fux box is tucked back by the A pillar. Most of the fuses are the new Micro3, which I could not tap. The left side is the older Micro2 and are available to tap for both intermittent and constant 12v.

Front & Internal Camera (inside view)
20211105_082747.jpg
20211105_161509.jpg
20211105_162041.jpg
As you can see, this setup is totally stealth from the exterior due to ceramic coating on windshield.

Rear Camera
20211105_161527.jpg
Rear Camera is mounted directly to the rear window with enough slack to allow the window to open without tension on the power cable.
20211105_162100.jpg
Totally stealth from the rear as well.
20211105_131513.jpg
This is the only visible cable in the entire install. There is absolutely no way to hide this cable going to the rear window, but Ford didn't try hide theirs either so it all blends.

Front Camera Test Footage:

Rear Camera Test Footage:

Inside Camera Screenshot (Infrared/Night Vision)
Screenshot_20211105-161847.jpg
Great job on the install is the camera system ford sells any good.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great job on the install is the camera system ford sells any good.
Yeh, not bad at all. The best for that cost bracket, or close enough.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a private person and don't enjoy the attention as much as some.
Yet you bought a newly designed vehicle with popularity off the charts. What the hell were you thinking, man?! You should have bought a Forerunner. 😂

PC Austin

Badlands
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep liberty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're a genius. I'm thinking I'll need to create a perimeter with cones to keep people away.

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's actually pretty insane some days. I'll come out of Costco to an entire army of boomers all around it. People like looking in the windows, touching it etc. Quite unnerving. I'm a private person and don't enjoy the attention as much as some.

Another issue is I've almost been driven into more than a few times by gawkers. I'm worried about insurance claims.. People drive where they look, and if they are staring at you, they tend to almost drive into you a lot.

Finally, I had some homeless dude randomly try to hit my rear glass window as I drove by.

Enough that it warranted this solution :).
People are weird, car shows pull the worst of it at times. Get the heck off of my stuff, let alone at Costco.

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yet you bought a newly designed vehicle with popularity off the charts. What the hell were you thinking, man?! You should have bought a Forerunner. 😂
I reserved day 0, then fell in love. The attention aspect was discovered long after that point, and by then, I was already committed. It is what it is. I got the windows blacked out and now it's not so bad. Less of that fish bowl feeling..

My wife loves the attention, so she wouldn't let me back out anyways.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Better to own a decent American vehicle, and get lots of unwanted attention, than own a piece of Japanese garbage, and be left alone.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Better to own a decent American vehicle, and get lots of unwanted attention, than own a piece of Japanese garbage, and be left alone.
I'm looking forward to the attention I get in the service bay. :D

Ford Bronco " Tesla Sentry Mode " feature install using Blackvue Cameras as security / surveillance recorder reliability

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

did you put in a quick disconnect in the rear harness for when you remove the top? or are you just going to pull the cam off the window and mount elsewhere with the top off?

Sponsored

Bee Bop

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 02 Mustang GT Vert, 91 S10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know the feeling of unwanted attention. Last Monday I was at the Dealer getting an issue looked at. While I was inside checking in this lady waked up to my Bronco an just got inside. The Service guy went out and to see what was up and she asked if my Bronco was for sale.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great mod and write up. having the extra cell is optional right? without it the system uses your home then your vehicle wifi?

OP
OP
Theherofails

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
did you put in a quick disconnect in the rear harness for when you remove the top? or are you just going to pull the cam off the window and mount elsewhere with the top off?
Yep. It's right behind the trim above the rear window. One screw to remove to access it.

TomD9807

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 / 2016 Infiniti Q50
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After having a few people get a little TOO comfortable with the Bronco, I made the plan on replicating the Sentry Mode found in Teslas to the best of my ability.

Cameras:
DR900X PLUS 2 Channel with IR
DR750X PLUS 1 Channel
You could also use the DR750X PLUS 3 channel package for the same cost. The reason I used two different cameras was for the ability to record trail runs in 4K without having to also run a GoPro. The DR750X is a 1440p camera. You can see the quality difference in the examples below.

Misc Equipment:
Micro2 Fuse Taps
Wifi Hotspot with 12v charger & optional USB-C battery bank.

What it does:
This system is hardwired to backup power which in turn is charged off the internal vehicle battery. The backup power has the capability to be charged via solar panels I have for the roof when overlanding.

While driving, it's just your average dashcam setup. The magic happens when you park and the system goes into 'parking mode' - AKA, Sentry mode. Until I return to the vehicle, all cameras are recording 1FPS and will automatically activate and record videos of any motion (internally) or if the vehicle is tampered with in any fashion internally or externally (all cameras) via shock sensors. This works with the doors and roof on or off, and all cameras are shielded from direct rain. I have the option of external motion activated alerts if needed.

Any incidents are immediately transmitted over a wifi hotspot to the cloud and I get an emergency ping on my phone with the ability to view live video from anywhere.

For the wifi hotspot, I am using a spare cell phone plugged into a 10,000mAH battery pack via USB C, which in turn is topped off by the vehicle battery. This gives me approx. 1 week of standby power for wifi.

The system is set up to first attempt to use my home wifi. If it's unavailable, it falls back to the built in vehicle WIFI. If that is unavailable as well, it falls back to the wifi hotspot. This saves data when parked at home but assures instant notifications on the move.

The entire setup is designed to switch off if the vehicle battery crosses a voltage threshold to make sure I don't come out to a dead battery.

The Install:

Zero wires visible as I piggybacked off the rearview mirror harness and entered the vehicle trim that way. A little tricky to route it around the window frame but a trim tool helps greatly here.

Free Pro Tip: Despite the onboard vehicle owners manual stating the in vehicle fuse panel is behind the glove box, it is not. Those instructions and photos are actually from the Bronco Sport. You have to remove the entire bottom dash piece below the steering wheel and the the in vehicle fux box is tucked back by the A pillar. Most of the fuses are the new Micro3, which I could not tap. The left side is the older Micro2 and are available to tap for both intermittent and constant 12v.

Front & Internal Camera (inside view)
Ford Bronco " Tesla Sentry Mode " feature install using Blackvue Cameras as security / surveillance recorder reliability
As you can see, this setup is totally stealth from the exterior due to ceramic coating on windshield.

Rear Camera
Rear Camera is mounted directly to the rear window with enough slack to allow the window to open without tension on the power cable.
Totally stealth from the rear as well.
This is the only visible cable in the entire install. There is absolutely no way to hide this cable going to the rear window, but Ford didn't try hide theirs either so it all blends.

Front Camera Test Footage:

Rear Camera Test Footage:

Inside Camera Screenshot (Infrared/Night Vision)
You've added new items to my Bronco to-do list...
Questions: In clicking on the links, there are 4 drop downs... Which options did you choose on these?

Thanks!!
Sponsored