Sponsored

Test Drove 2.3L Ranger & 2.7L in F150 and was disappointed... Options to improve off the line?

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1605543241595.jpeg

this pic shows the stop/start shut off. It’s the little A with the circle around it. So no worries on the automatic shut off, you’ll be able to turn it off when you want to. ??
Thank goodness. I have to admit, some of the options others were suggesting were making me think a little negative on Ford. It should be our choice if we want our engine to start and stop all day long. Glad they made it easy like Jeep and BMW.
Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First of all I promise I am not a troll. If you see my posts they are just like everyone else's. Excited about the new Bronco and am willing to still get it on day 1 even though I wish some of the options were more available (mostly MIC Top and interior choice concerns). But I am new to Ford and have no idea about the performance of the 2.3 or 2.7L engines (or Ford Performance in general). Even though I am already 99% sure I will opt the 2.7L, I wanted to atleast get a feel between the two choices by back to back test driving. My Dealer was kind enough to let me do so last night by test driving a new Ranger w/ 2.3 and F150 w/ 2.7L. Disclaimer: I do not expect the Bronco to be a race car but would like to have above average power/acceleration to get in and out of traffic (I live off a freeway where I have to pull out in front of cars going 60 to 70 mph every day). However, I do like spirited driving as well and always opt my vehicles with the most power available. For comparison I do have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the optional 5.7L Hemi as well as a BMW M4, the latter of which is also a twin turbo I6. I do not expect the Bronco to be up there with them. I am sure after a couple of years Bronco will have power options closer to what the more established GC offers while M cars are for performance and not offroading.

Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I could test. I would hope the Bronco would be slightly better due to weighing less than F150?? Where I was very disappointed was the low end from simply flooring it from a dead spot. It seemed to take forever to get going with what even felt like a delay. Even the sales guy admitted that Ford's turbos have some significant turbo lag. The naturally aspirated hemi powered GC can easily throw your head back from a stop position. My twin turbo BMW obviously can and with no turbo lag. I recall when BMW put out their twin turbo engines 15 years ago there was so much pushback about worry from turbo lag. But that went away once enthusiasts realized they did a great job to eliminate lag. I previously had a lower model BMW (335) that also had a twin turbo I6 and never experienced any real lag. To be honest, I didn't even know what turbo lag felt like but think I just did last night. Is Ford simply behind in turbo engines?

One thing I am wondering about that could have made the issue worse is that awful feature of engine cut off at stop. Both my Jeep and BMW have that but you can turn that off in the settings (which I did on Day 1). The sales person said that you can't disengage that in the Ford models!!! Could that be true?? I will have to look into a tune/reprogramming to get that removed ASAP.

Sorry about long post but I really just want to know from Ford Enthusiasts if this slow to takeoff issue can be overcome? Perhaps I can feather the gas instead of just mashing the accelerator. I only drove it for 10 mins so really didn't have enough time to play around with acceleration technique. I am also hoping a new tune could remove that lag as well. Is there hope for such improvements?
If you go with the 4.7 gearing it should help your torque and speed when getting the Bronco going.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
First of all I promise I am not a troll. If you see my posts they are just like everyone else's. Excited about the new Bronco and am willing to still get it on day 1 even though I wish some of the options were more available (mostly MIC Top and interior choice concerns). But I am new to Ford and have no idea about the performance of the 2.3 or 2.7L engines (or Ford Performance in general). Even though I am already 99% sure I will opt the 2.7L, I wanted to atleast get a feel between the two choices by back to back test driving. My Dealer was kind enough to let me do so last night by test driving a new Ranger w/ 2.3 and F150 w/ 2.7L. Disclaimer: I do not expect the Bronco to be a race car but would like to have above average power/acceleration to get in and out of traffic (I live off a freeway where I have to pull out in front of cars going 60 to 70 mph every day). However, I do like spirited driving as well and always opt my vehicles with the most power available. For comparison I do have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the optional 5.7L Hemi as well as a BMW M4, the latter of which is also a twin turbo I6. I do not expect the Bronco to be up there with them. I am sure after a couple of years Bronco will have power options closer to what the more established GC offers while M cars are for performance and not offroading.

Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I could test. I would hope the Bronco would be slightly better due to weighing less than F150?? Where I was very disappointed was the low end from simply flooring it from a dead spot. It seemed to take forever to get going with what even felt like a delay. Even the sales guy admitted that Ford's turbos have some significant turbo lag. The naturally aspirated hemi powered GC can easily throw your head back from a stop position. My twin turbo BMW obviously can and with no turbo lag. I recall when BMW put out their twin turbo engines 15 years ago there was so much pushback about worry from turbo lag. But that went away once enthusiasts realized they did a great job to eliminate lag. I previously had a lower model BMW (335) that also had a twin turbo I6 and never experienced any real lag. To be honest, I didn't even know what turbo lag felt like but think I just did last night. Is Ford simply behind in turbo engines?

One thing I am wondering about that could have made the issue worse is that awful feature of engine cut off at stop. Both my Jeep and BMW have that but you can turn that off in the settings (which I did on Day 1). The sales person said that you can't disengage that in the Ford models!!! Could that be true?? I will have to look into a tune/reprogramming to get that removed ASAP.

Sorry about long post but I really just want to know from Ford Enthusiasts if this slow to takeoff issue can be overcome? Perhaps I can feather the gas instead of just mashing the accelerator. I only drove it for 10 mins so really didn't have enough time to play around with acceleration technique. I am also hoping a new tune could remove that lag as well. Is there hope for such improvements?
I know I'm late on this one, but WOW this seems to disagree with just about everything else out there. I was in the market for a truck before settling in on the Bronco and read many reviews. While they find plenty to complain about with the Ranger the engine (2.3L) is not one of them. For example Edmund's first entry in the "pro" column is a strong and powerful engine, and despite being the only engine option it outperforms the competitions optional engines (according to them). Some reviewers comment on the lack of turbo lag. Comparing trucks to a small sports car is nonsensical. How much does that bimmer weight? The massive V8 is probably going to give you more neck snapping sensation, more important is 0 - 60 time. The Bronco like other off road vehicles is more about trails, not racing. If 360HP 400 ft lbs of torque is not enough to get on the freeway you need to take a serious look at your driving skills. 90% of the vehicles on the road are 4cyl Toyota Camry and the like, and they have no trouble getting on the freeway. Even where I live, the speed limit is 75 MPH and everyone is doing 80+. When it comes down to it, a "standard" engine with 270HP and 300 torque quite impressive, and certainly capable of "spirited" driving. I get it, you're a power freak. If neck snapping is your objective, an off road vehicle is probably not the best choice for you.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know I'm late on this one, but WOW this seems to disagree with just about everything else out there. I was in the market for a truck before settling in on the Bronco and read many reviews. While they find plenty to complain about with the Ranger the engine (2.3L) is not one of them. For example Edmund's first entry in the "pro" column is a strong and powerful engine, and despite being the only engine option it outperforms the competitions optional engines (according to them). Some reviewers comment on the lack of turbo lag. Comparing trucks to a small sports car is nonsensical. How much does that bimmer weight? The massive V8 is probably going to give you more neck snapping sensation, more important is 0 - 60 time. The Bronco like other off road vehicles is more about trails, not racing. If 360HP 400 ft lbs of torque is not enough to get on the freeway you need to take a serious look at your driving skills. 90% of the vehicles on the road are 4cyl Toyota Camry and the like, and they have no trouble getting on the freeway. Even where I live, the speed limit is 75 MPH and everyone is doing 80+. When it comes down to it, a "standard" engine with 270HP and 300 torque quite impressive, and certainly capable of "spirited" driving. I get it, you're a power freak. If neck snapping is your objective, an off road vehicle is probably not the best choice for you.
Yeah, your a little late to the conversation is right. This truck is for me as I will keep the BMW for true performance on the road. I like unique cars and find the Bronco's off roading ability very inspiring. I just want to make sure my DD is at least in the realm of similar performance to the Jeep G.C. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe the 0-60 time is similar to the hemi and if so that's a win win. That still doesn't change the fact it felt a little uninspiring during my limited test drive of simply "mashing the gas". There was a significant delay to get up and go. Glad to see others have shed some light on this as I am looking forward to doing a few mods to improve it. Heck, it could be the fact that the vehicle had 10 miles on the odometer with cheap factory gas in the tank. I guess I will find out when I pick up my ordered vehicle!

Not sure why you felt the need to say I needed to improve my driving skills as that really has nothing to do with it. Just because I want more power than the average guy?? Sounds like you would be happy with the Camry :) Agree to disagree.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I test drove a Ranger and F-150 on Monday. I really liked the responsiveness of the 2.3 engine, apart from some inherent turbo lag. To me the 2.7 felt sort of "boring" for lack of a better word. I'm used to my Subaru boxer engine so maybe I'm just biased towards the smaller engine as a result. I think I'll be perfectly happy with it in the Black Diamond 4 door. If Ford offers a tune it would be tempting to go that route eventually; there is a Youtube video showing the Ranger with 5.4 0-60 time after getting a tune which is crazy. I think it was 7.5 stock.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I test drove a Ranger and F-150 on Monday. I really liked the responsiveness of the 2.3 engine, apart from some inherent turbo lag. To me the 2.7 felt sort of "boring" for lack of a better word. I'm used to my Subaru boxer engine so maybe I'm just biased towards the smaller engine as a result.
Right, I think we went away with some similar thoughts. I think aftermarket is going to improve on both greatly. I have seen some good stuff out there. Maybe something to look into after keeping it factory for a year.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, your a little late to the conversation is right. This truck is for me as I will keep the BMW for true performance on the road. I like unique cars and find the Bronco's off roading ability very inspiring. I just want to make sure my DD is at least in the realm of similar performance to the Jeep G.C. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe the 0-60 time is similar to the hemi and if so that's a win win. That still doesn't change the fact it felt a little uninspiring during my limited test drive of simply "mashing the gas". There was a significant delay to get up and go. Glad to see others have shed some light on this as I am looking forward to doing a few mods to improve it. Heck, it could be the fact that the vehicle had 10 miles on the odometer with cheap factory gas in the tank. I guess I will find out when I pick up my ordered vehicle!

Not sure why you felt the need to say I needed to improve my driving skills as that really has nothing to do with it. Just because I want more power than the average guy?? Sounds like you would be happy with the Camry :) Agree to disagree.
Cheers mate. I don't disagree with you at all, and apologize for that driving skills comment. I know its a good way to justify more power. I do drive a Mazda6 (Camry clone) for the past 8 years and its been a great car, but heck even I entertained the idea of getting a Hellcat! Grandpas grocery getter that can blow away a Porsche (some of them anyway), how cool is that? I think the issue is when you mash the pedal you're not actually controlling the throttle, the computer is. And they have to make emissions and CAFE standards. I notice this difference even on my 2004 vibe (cable throttle) and newer vibes and corollas with computer throttles. One thing I hope we can agree on, burn all the gas now before the morons in Washington make it illegal. And don't forget to wear your mask when driving!!!

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheers mate. I don't disagree with you at all, and apologize for that driving skills comment. I know its a good way to justify more power. I do drive a Mazda6 (Camry clone) for the past 8 years and its been a great car, but heck even I entertained the idea of getting a Hellcat! Grandpas grocery getter that can blow away a Porsche (some of them anyway), how cool is that? I think the issue is when you mash the pedal you're not actually controlling the throttle, the computer is. And they have to make emissions and CAFE standards. I notice this difference even on my 2004 vibe (cable throttle) and newer vibes and corollas with computer throttles. One thing I hope we can agree on, burn all the gas now before the morons in Washington make it illegal. And don't forget to wear your mask when driving!!!
Yeah, that's cool. Hey, we have more in common than I thought if you wanted to get that Hellcat. The Hellcat was my runner up to the BMW M4 and probably the only reason I didn't go with it was because Dodge in 2014 couldn't even allow me to reserve one. So M4 it was. Hellcats are pretty cool though. Right, computers do way to much now. Altgeast we can add some mods to force them to behave more like we want (if you want to ;) Cheers.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The smaller engines on Ford cars sucks big time, My Dad's 2018 Fusion has the 1.6L Turbo, it goes to 60 in like forever, always get the bigger engine with Fords, fuel economy is horrible anyway so just opt for the bigger engine.
My Dad gets 21 MPG ( Rated 23 city / 34 highway) on his 4 banger turbo Fusion and he used to get 20 on my 2016 Charger RT (5.7L V8 )!!!

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I....."

I found the 2.3 to be appalling. I got a lot of hate in return but I'm use to that now from this site. But I stand by my statement of, driving the 2.3 is less fun than drowning.

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Concerning test drive, I will not even bother to discuss the 2.3L... For the 2.7L, I felt it had good midrange, maybe even similar to the Hemi's midrange; upper end seemed fine too for what I....."

I found the 2.3 to be appalling. I got a lot of hate in return but I'm use to that now from this site. But I stand by my statement of, driving the 2.3 is less fun than drowning.
I’m going to have to drive a Ranger and an F150. I’m pretty set on a manual so 2.3 for me. The Ranger has great reviews from just about every tester so I’m thinking a 2dr Bronco with 2.3 and 4.7 gears will be decent. With a tune and an extra 80-100 hp and torque it will be nice. There’s guys running in 13s in their Rangers for reference so I’m not worried about power. I’m more concerned with a boring auto transmission

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I got to thinking. When they drove and parked the Overland build at the Celebration East, it didn't start/stop as they were moving it around. They came to full stop a few times.
Could have been disabled with the switch on the dash, but there are also many parameters the system has to meet in order for it to start/stop. These relate to AC/heat setting, engine operating temp, battery charge/electrical usage, and several other things.

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove my 2017 Lincoln MKX with AWD and 2.7L for 3 years. Can tell you in sport it was a rocket with the torque and continued to pull through 70 mph. Just a few times the turbos would spool late. Plan on driving the BL in sport mode most of the time.
Bad News.. No sports mode on BL.. lol

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going to have to drive a Ranger and an F150. I’m pretty set on a manual so 2.3 for me. The Ranger has great reviews from just about every tester so I’m thinking a 2dr Bronco with 2.3 and 4.7 gears will be decent. With a tune and an extra 80-100 hp and torque it will be nice. There’s guys running in 13s in their Rangers for reference so I’m not worried about power. I’m more concerned with a boring auto transmission
I want the exact same build 2 door with a manual. I drove the ranger and yes, its a fine little truck but that engine just did not do it for me. I want power and excitement when I decide to send it.

That 2.7 though, that is a little rocket. I owned the first gen for 3 years and loved it every time I drove it. Go test a ranger out. Is the 2.3 adequate? Ok, sure. But more is better in most important parts of life.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs