First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I got to test drive a 4 door Bronco last week in Portland, OR. No photos or video (sorry). It was a Wildtrak 2.7 engine with the Sasquatch package (auto trans obviously) and the soft top. It had the 12" center console display and the full digital dash (so I think it had the High package)

Will try to keep this relatively short, just my overall impressions. I did not take offroad, just drove on surface streets and highway. I have not ordered mine yet, but did place my $100 down the first day available. Reason for not ordering was I wanted the manual and Sasquatch package which was not available for 2021, so was waiting for 2022 anyway.

Motor: The 2.7 has plenty of grunt. When I floored it, it went. The sound was fine. Not an old Mustang V-8, but I liked it. Pedal response was good IMO. I can only hope the 2.3 with manual feels somewhat close. No way I will order an automatic, I will live with the 4cyl. I just need to have 3 pedals on the floor. I hope Ford changes their mind and makes the manual available with the 6cyl in 2022. with the minor differences in gas mileage I would rather have the 6 if it is available.

Road noise: The tires do make a lot of noise, but they tracked well on Portand I-5 highway, which was impressive with the roadwear we get from folks with studded tires in the winter. The softtop was VERY noisy IMO. I planned on getting the hardtop anyway because of Portland weather and there is no way the rear side plastic windows will hold up over time (again IMHO).

Braking: I read all the articles on the Bronco forum as soon as the embargo was lifted. Lots of complains about nose dive during breaking. I broke hard twice, not enough to engage the ABS but still pretty hard. The nose dive wasn't bad at all.

Cornering: I didn't really push it, just because I didn't have a safe opportunity to do so. It is a BIG vehicle and I could feel some body roll, but again, no where near the limit. It felt fine/acceptable to me and I probably wouldn't corner aggressively anyway with this thing. I have a different mindset when driving 2 ton vehicles than I do a small sports car, so hard cornering/braking isn't a top priority.

Soft top: Kinda covered this in the road noise section. Not really impressed with it, especially the rear side windows. I expect those to crack and break within 7 years or less. Def going with the hard top, and probably will pay for the extra sound deadener.

Side windows: I read about the complaints with the frameless windows and how it could "hang" when opening the door quickly. I didn't experience it and I tried a bunch of times to make it hang up on the rubber seal. The main thing I don't like about this is it is just one more electronic thing to break over time, but with frameless doors, I guess there is no other option.

Dashboard/Infotainment: I really am not a fan of all-digital dashboards (again too easy to break/fail/expensive to replace). The layout was nice though (much better than the what was in the Corvette when they put in an all digital dash, or the Honda S2000). I am ordering a Black Diamond and I think it has part digital part analog dash. The center screen in the Wildtrak was nice but not for me. I was planning on getting the lowest level infotainment possible IF I can avoid getting the Co-Pilot system. I hate ADAS systems. They are intrusive and I don't trust their reliability. Side note: I am senior citizen and have only had 2 cars in my adult life that I paid for with my own $$$. I keep cars a long time and take care of them. I don't like fancy electronics in my cars, and the more I can minimize it the better. I am not a luddite, I love my iPhone, high-end PCs and big flat panel TVs. I just don't need them in my car. This is going to be a car for hunting and fishing and its gonna get dirty and dinged up and I am OK with that. I am willing to make some sacrifices to hopefully achieve better long-term reliability, especially on the technology side.

Rear-seating: I sat in a Black Diamond at a separate Ford day for the Bronco and I believe there was definitely more rear seat leg room. The Black Diamond had the marine grade vinyl seats. The Wildtrak had much fancier leather seats. I think the leather seats are "thicker" by at least an inch because when I set up the driver seat to be comfortable to me and then got in the back seat, my knees hit the back of the seat. I am 6'1". I was disappointed on the lack of rear seat room, more so in the Wildtrak vs. the Black Diamond. I would be interested to hear from others if my guess is correct that the Wildtrak leather seats do result in a loss of some rear seat legroom.

So all in all, I was pretty impressed with the Bronco, even though it was a trim that I was not going to get. Supposedly a 2 door manual is going to show up in the next few weeks and I will go back and test drive that one. For city driving, the Bronco was much better than the last Jeep Rubicon I drove. It felt good driving it, and the (city) driving dynamics were fine. Brake dive wasn't as bad as I had read about. Not sure if'/when I will be able to test drive a Bronco off-road before I buy, but my guess is it will do all I need and more. If a Ford F-150 can get me where I need to be, the Bronco will as well regardless of the configuration.

If one thing changed in my mind, it is that I may not go for the Sasquatch package after all and stay with the steel wheels of the Black Diamond. I didn't care for the look of the Sasquatch wheels and didn't like the overly large fender flares. I just need a very competent off road vehicle, it doesn't have to be the absolute best. I know I give up some off roading things by deleting the Sasquatch package but I think it will be OK and save me $4K or so.

So old plan was Black Diamond 4 door, 7-speed (and 4cyl), Sasquatch, hard top, and no Co-Pilot if possible

New plan is Black Diamond 4 door, 7-speed (with the biggest engine I can get), hard top, and no Co-Pilot if possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What is the quality feel of the marine vinyl?
So this test drive Wildtrak had full leather seats.

but I was at a Bronco day a month ago and sat in a BD with the marine grade vinyl seats and thought they looked and felt great. I have read other reviews that on a hot day the MGV seats get very hot. But I have no experience with that. But the look and feel was very nice and that is what I plan to order.

I could be mistaken but I think that the MGV seats are narrower front-to-back than the full leather seats. When i adjusted the driving position and then moved into the back seat, I think there was more leg room in the MGV seat Bronco than the full leather seat Bronco.
Sponsored