Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tested out the towing yesterday and in general it was great. Had to switch hitches to my weight distribution hitch since it is longer and the spare was in the way for my short trip hitch. Found out it has sway control. Didn’t add my brake controller because I couldn’t find the plug or maybe it’s different but the trailer weighs 2900 lbs so just under the required weight for needing one. I’ll get one added before I head into the mountains as it gives some good piece of mind.

Specs: 2.7 Badlands high package w/ tow package

Ford Bronco Tested out towing a 2900 lbs trailer with 2.7 Badlands w/ tow package 0184D920-10E5-4EB7-B189-DE12BF0F22ED
Ford Bronco Tested out towing a 2900 lbs trailer with 2.7 Badlands w/ tow package 5D0C2658-2E79-4BD2-ABD4-7BE5A62CEBFB
Ford Bronco Tested out towing a 2900 lbs trailer with 2.7 Badlands w/ tow package 3D22E722-9914-4839-8B0A-706F55050C14
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the pics, I hadn't thought about the spare interfering, I'll need to check that out.

Great looking rig BTW. Report back on highway manners when you can please.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Looks like it didn't squat much either. Do you have an estimate on the tongue weight of that trailer?
And I second the request for a report on highway road manner!

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That little thing weighs 2900 pounds!? I have a 20' R-pod that I have pared down to 3150 without water and propane onboard. Looks nice and level, do you know your tongue weight? I am assuming around 350 pounds. Looks like the Bronc rear suspension is taking it like a champ.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like it didn't squat much either. Do you have an estimate on the tongue weight of that trailer?
And I second the request for a report on highway road manner!
It had a little squat. Noticed when I sat back in to drive off that I was leaned back, lol. Not much but could tell it did. Highway drive was great. Went on some bouncy roads as well and it settled quickly.

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about a few glamour shots of the Bronco?
Looks like my build, would be nice to see what it will look like. (if it ever gets built)

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Looking good. I had to deal with the same issue on my FJCruiser with the spare sticking out. Your trailer is the right height and everything behind the Bronco.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

About how much clearance between the top of the trailer coupler and the bottom of the spare?

(Edit): Thanks for posting this - especially with a two door. Like others: very interested in your experience.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As people tow with these, especially when getting near the max tow, keep an eye on the water temp on long grades. The 2.7 shouldn’t have much of an issue as it’s oversized for the tow capacity but the 2.3 might see some issues.

When the ecoboost motors run, they like to shift up to still keep fuel Econ’s, even in a tow/haul mode. What this leads to, when pulling a large grade, is lots of boost being pushed and the water pump not turning very fast. The turbos are water cooled so the extra boost means extra heat.

It may not even be an issue with the Bronco’s but I know my 2nd gen 3.5EB in my F150 will run warm on big grades. I’ll lock out 8/9/10 to keep out of the overdrive gears and keep the RPM’s spinning when towing. Long grades or trying to pull hard acceleration on grade will warm it up too. I’ve never went into limp mode (251 water temp I believe) but I’ve seen 241 several times. The motors have the power but not the cooling for high boost, low coolant movement.

I’m curious to see how the bronco’s fair when towing and water temps.
Sponsored