Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a good looking Bronco you have there.

I'd be curious how it pulls without the WDH, even if it means strapping the spare to the trailer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a good looking Bronco you have there.

I'd be curious how it pulls without the WDH, even if it means strapping the spare to the trailer.
Thank you. I donā€™t think it would have been much different. I didnā€™t get the arm bars as tight as they could have been. When I had the smaller hitch on at first I didnā€™t notice much sag but just really changed because of the spare issue. Though I was going to pop the spare trying to get the hitch off and didnā€™t want to deal with that struggle again

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It may not even be an issue with the Broncoā€™s but I know my 2nd gen 3.5EB in my F150 will run warm on big grades. Iā€™ll lock out 8/9/10 to keep out of the overdrive gears and keep the RPMā€™s spinning when towing. Long grades or trying to pull hard acceleration on grade will warm it up too.

Iā€™m curious to see how the broncoā€™s fair when towing and water temps.
Yep, with my 1st gen 3.5 EB running heavy load, I will sometimes lock out 5 and 6 (6 speed) (especially on steep grades to keep the motor from lunching on a spark plug or if the plugs are marginal this will prevent misfires). Temperatures have never been an issue on my 1st gen 3.5 EB, but 2nd gen motors seem to be a little more finicky with regards to the cooling.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tested out the towing yesterday and in general it was great. Had to switch hitches to my weight distribution hitch since it is longer and the spare was in the way for my short trip hitch. Found out it has sway control. Didnā€™t add my brake controller because I couldnā€™t find the plug or maybe itā€™s different but the trailer weighs 2900 lbs so just under the required weight for needing one. Iā€™ll get one added before I head into the mountains as it gives some good piece of mind.

Specs: 2.7 Badlands high package w/ tow package

0184D920-10E5-4EB7-B189-DE12BF0F22ED.jpeg
5D0C2658-2E79-4BD2-ABD4-7BE5A62CEBFB.jpeg
3D22E722-9914-4839-8B0A-706F55050C14.jpeg
I really wanna see the inside of that trailer! Can you post more pics at the camp site? Do you put most of your gear in the trailer or the back of the 2dr? I'm seeing a good you tube video in the making šŸ¤” šŸ˜‚

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tested out the towing yesterday and in general it was great. Had to switch hitches to my weight distribution hitch since it is longer and the spare was in the way for my short trip hitch. Found out it has sway control. Didnā€™t add my brake controller because I couldnā€™t find the plug or maybe itā€™s different but the trailer weighs 2900 lbs so just under the required weight for needing one. Iā€™ll get one added before I head into the mountains as it gives some good piece of mind.

Specs: 2.7 Badlands high package w/ tow package

0184D920-10E5-4EB7-B189-DE12BF0F22ED.jpeg
5D0C2658-2E79-4BD2-ABD4-7BE5A62CEBFB.jpeg
3D22E722-9914-4839-8B0A-706F55050C14.jpeg
A Ford Unicorn!

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I commented on your fb post over the weekend. Beautiful ride! I think this might help alleviate how close and tight everything is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in...MI_LiGkc218gIVxfrICh05egJIEAQYASABEgL4EvD_BwE

It a heavy extender for sure. But be careful, these have a lot of play in them. So much so that I have to shim mine when I use my bike rack (on my Wrangler). The rack swings so hard I'm afraid something will break. I expect the ones sold at other stores are all built by the same company in China, so I wouldn't expect much better out of those. IMHO

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking at the numbers, It looks like with the trailer you still have around 600lbs left over for payload in your Bronco. Leaves some room for two passengers and some cargo. That is assuming the hitch weight is 350lbs.

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It a heavy extender for sure. But be careful, these have a lot of play in them. So much so that I have to shim mine when I use my bike rack (on my Wrangler). The rack swings so hard I'm afraid something will break. I expect the ones sold at other stores are all built by the same company in China, so I wouldn't expect much better out of those. IMHO
Experienced the same so ran a few beads of weld down one side then ground to fit.

OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really wanna see the inside of that trailer! Can you post more pics at the camp site? Do you put most of your gear in the trailer or the back of the 2dr? I'm seeing a good you tube video in the making šŸ¤” šŸ˜‚
Plenty of room inside the trailer. Iā€™ve slept 6 in it. Itā€™s a flagstaff 206SE. This was just a test drive. Donā€™t think Iā€™ll be driving to a campsite topless. Damn raccoons always tried to get inside my truck so no way Iā€™d let them free reign at the bronco

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
California requires brakes on trailers over 1500 pounds. A light weight WD hitch for 3000 pounds is a good idea to transfer some of the weight to the front wheels. When you get to the dirt road you can always remove the bars.

Sponsored

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be towing around ~2800 with a Badlands 2.3 manual.

Anyone have any manual-specific towing tips or tricks?
Turn on your boost gauge and get used to looking at it. Shift between 3-4K RPMs and run in 5th if need be on the 55mph highways and 6th (if itā€™ll pull it) when on the 70mph highways. I personally wouldnā€™t pull faster than 70 on these short wheelbase vehicles. Donā€™t be afraid to run the 2.3 Eco in the powerband when towing.

OP
OP
Kaopeterson

Kaopeterson

Badlands
First Name
Robert Peterson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

California requires brakes on trailers over 1500 pounds. A light weight WD hitch for 3000 pounds is a good idea to transfer some of the weight to the front wheels. When you get to the dirt road you can always remove the bars.
Yep and Colorado itā€™s 2999 I believe. Iā€™m using a WDH and plan to get the brake controller plugged in, just need to do a little more investigating or change the plug out

bgcfman

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Honda Accord, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As people tow with these, especially when getting near the max tow, keep an eye on the water temp on long grades. The 2.7 shouldnā€™t have much of an issue as itā€™s oversized for the tow capacity but the 2.3 might see some issues.

When the ecoboost motors run, they like to shift up to still keep fuel Econā€™s, even in a tow/haul mode. What this leads to, when pulling a large grade, is lots of boost being pushed and the water pump not turning very fast. The turbos are water cooled so the extra boost means extra heat.

It may not even be an issue with the Broncoā€™s but I know my 2nd gen 3.5EB in my F150 will run warm on big grades. Iā€™ll lock out 8/9/10 to keep out of the overdrive gears and keep the RPMā€™s spinning when towing. Long grades or trying to pull hard acceleration on grade will warm it up too. Iā€™ve never went into limp mode (251 water temp I believe) but Iā€™ve seen 241 several times. The motors have the power but not the cooling for high boost, low coolant movement.

Iā€™m curious to see how the broncoā€™s fair when towing and water temps.
I can't find a grade here in Florida, but I know what you mean from some out west trips.

Max1h

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-150, 1968 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

question when in tow mode does it turn off the auto start and stop?? if so would tricking the system into thinking its towing disable that annoying feature?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't find a grade here in Florida, but I know what you mean from some out west trips.
After living in FL for 15yrs and towing boats, steepest grades I ever found were the entrance ramps to I-75 lol.
Sponsored