Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Howdy. So we have decided to get the Bronco. Not only becuase it looks amazing but also because we are using it to start a lifestyle change. I want to take my family on overland trips to not only to disconnect from all the technology, but to also get back to nature and experience amazing scenic views. Honestly my wife and I grew up in cities so I think this will be as much for us as it is for our kids. With that being said I have two questions:

1. To get started overlanding what do we need? I'm a complete novice so any recommendations are welcome.

2. Recommendations on where to go? As a beginner is there anwhere I should look into first?
Sponsored

Lonestar777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check out this route. This is the first thing I'm taking my Bronco on: https://expeditionportal.com/overland-routes-the-texas-hill-country/

Also check out "The Road Chose Me" on youtube. The guy drove a jeep from Alaska to Argentina with not much equipment. Then he built up a nicer jeep and drove all over Africa. I don't know that it's applicable to anything I would do, but I love it for inspiration.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Howdy. So we have decided to get the Bronco. Not only becuase it looks amazing but also because we are using it to start a lifestyle change. I want to take my family on overland trips to not only to disconnect from all the technology, but to also get back to nature and experience amazing scenic views. Honestly my wife and I grew up in cities so I think this will be as much for us as it is for our kids. With that being said I have two questions:

1. To get started overlanding what do we need? I'm a complete novice so any recommendations are welcome.

2. Recommendations on where to go? As a beginner is there anwhere I should look into first?
Hey! Wife and I are in a similar situation. Grew up near big cities and never went to the outdoors much.

We definitely are in the same boat where we are getting a bronco for overlanding and have our sights set on a trip to Nova Scotia (from NY).

I would first suggest you and the family go camping at a local state park. If you can’t handle or don’t like a couple nights camping, over landing may not be for you.

we went camping for the first time last month and liked it. Went again two weeks later and just got back today from another trip.

As far as what you’ll need, it kind of depends. How many kids? A bronco with 2 adults and 3 kids is going to be tough unless you’re bringing a camper.

With a 4dr base and plans to get the 2.7 engine we will likely go for a lift and bigger tires at some point, traction pads in case we get stuck, roof top tent, fridge, maybe some new cooking utensils including a gas stove, storage for propane and extra fuel and maybe a drawer set up for med bag and some other items.

I would suggest watching TrailRecon videos on YouTube. It’s a great channel and the host is really great at explaining things and just overall dialogue.He has tons of videos of trips he takes overlanding through California and Midwest and you can see all the tools they use to get an idea of what you’ll need.

OP
OP
Kogi

Kogi

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
Kogi

Kogi

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey! Wife and I are in a similar situation. Grew up near big cities and never went to the outdoors much.

We definitely are in the same boat where we are getting a bronco for overlanding and have our sights set on a trip to Nova Scotia (from NY).

I would first suggest you and the family go camping at a local state park. If you can’t handle or don’t like a couple nights camping, over landing may not be for you.

we went camping for the first time last month and liked it. Went again two weeks later and just got back today from another trip.

As far as what you’ll need, it kind of depends. How many kids? A bronco with 2 adults and 3 kids is going to be tough unless you’re bringing a camper.

With a 4dr base and plans to get the 2.7 engine we will likely go for a lift and bigger tires at some point, traction pads in case we get stuck, roof top tent, fridge, maybe some new cooking utensils including a gas stove, storage for propane and extra fuel and maybe a drawer set up for med bag and some other items.

I would suggest watching TrailRecon videos on YouTube. It’s a great channel and the host is really great at explaining things and just overall dialogue.He has tons of videos of trips he takes overlanding through California and Midwest and you can see all the tools they use to get an idea of what you’ll need.
It's the wife and I with two young kids. So I figure the 4 door should be perfect. Looking at the black diamond trim with 32s and the 2.7 as well. Just started watching TrailRecon and its amazing. Can't help but binge watch.

Sponsored

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's the wife and I with two young kids. So I figure the 4 door should be perfect. Looking at the black diamond trim with 32s and the 2.7 as well. Just started watching TrailRecon and its amazing. Can't help but binge watch.
His videos are so well done which is probably what attracted sponsors. He definitely has stuff that is not needed but he has as a luxury but it still gives a good idea of things you may want.

2 kids should be fine. May want to get a large 5 person tent if not rooftop or even a smaller tent plus a rooftop. Comfort is key which is why we have the sleeping bags in addition to a floor blanket and two inflatable pads. Those three and our 3 person tent take up about 18% of the trunk in the tiguan. Cooler takes up about 35/40%. And then there's the big water jug which is crucial.

There's a million ways to play it (rooftop storage is probably a good idea as well). But those videos show people with a variety of set ups and vehicles to give you an idea of what will fit your needs.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny, this exact post could have been written by me. Tuning in, thanks.

Blitzinger

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cool video I figured I'd share. It's not a bronco but its a serious overlanding machine. I like to watch things like this to get ideas for things I could do in the bronco.

OP
OP
Kogi

Kogi

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cool video I figured I'd share. It's not a bronco but its a serious overlanding machine. I like to watch things like this to get ideas for things I could do in the bronco.

Awesome build. Lots of planning involved to get the build just what you want/need. I'm going to be starting with the basics so I've been looking at air compressors.

Has anyone put thought into where they will be going first. I heard there may be some beginner friendly spots near Austin.

t_bucket

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have run the hill country route posted above many times over the last few years it is a great drive but getting more and more popular. There is a rather big facebook group called "Texas Overland" that has a ton of good info in the files section.

Also there is a group called Texas Avid outdoors that has an Expo each year in central Texas that is a great resource to check out stuff hand on (It would have been 2 weeks back but obviously cancelled this year)

Texas Outdoor Expo

Definitely check out Big Bend Ranch State Park if you have the chance

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

hopefully they'll still be young when you get to enjoy your bronc smh @ ford ?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The wife, and I had always wanted to travel this beautiful country. Since retirement we have done just that. The way we started was my bucket list Route 66 journey, and it evolved for there. We now pick an area of the country, i.e. the northwest. I plot the course from North Carolina to say Montana, finding as many of the old highways and old roads to get there (remember this isn't about getting from point A to point B anymore. So, take your time if possible). Her part is to find points of interest from North Carolina to for instance Billings. We then set our ways points (stop overs for the night). We may not plan more than 250 miles between, but that usually takes a good 6-8 hours because of the stops along the way. We never go back the same way we went, so all of that planning goes for the return trip also. Our trips usually amount to 5K+ miles, and many times 3 weeks for there, and back. I do understand that many can't do the same, because they aren't retired. But, the plan can work for all durations. We just returned from a shorter 1 1/2 week road trip using the same equations. We've seen Camry's, Suburu's, and Harley's being built. New Corvette's drive off the assembly line, and potato chips and candies being made. We've even been to the middle of nowhere, took a left and drove farther. Life is good my friends.

JamesC

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HJ45, URJ200, W463
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with a previous post. Start camping in prepared sites now with whatever you have. To start, look for sites with restrooms and maybe showers available. Do a weekend or a long weekend. Plan an easy menu to begin so that you can focus on the experience and later you can measure in complicated cooks. Use a normal ground tent and car-camping equipment to be sure you all like it and then refine as you go. If you are already positive you like camping in general then get better equipment up front that will last. Like certain kitchen gadgets or tools you will notice higher quality when on a camp and no stores are nearby to replace broken gear. Some things are worth more investment than others - things that keep you dry and things that burn gas/cook are places I would spend at first. You can start enjoying a camp well ahead of the bronco's arrival and a full overland build.

I'm not sure where you are in Texas but the distance from Houston to the Ozarks is a much bigger barrier than from DFW in terms of arriving on site in the light to set everything up and get cooking, etc. It will be much more pleasurable at first if you focus on giving yourself a lot of hours to set up in the light. Some nice starter areas would be either side of the border in the Ouachitas. The Ozarks are great. Palo Duro for in-state. Big Bend is amazing but far for almost everyone (leave at 3/4am to get those hours before dark).

Padre Island National Seashore is also a favourite - this is one of our landcruisers about 45miles in of the 60ish avail on the sand:

i-w4WXSn8-X2.jpg

Once you build up self sufficiency then backcountry camping may be preferred so that you really feel away. Places like Big Bend or Padre really require you have everything sorted and understand how to deal with the unexpected. I cook over the same snowpeak fireplace you see above all the time in the back yard..same with that tembotusk scottle. No need for a trip to get those things started :)

UGABronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CT6, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check out this route. This is the first thing I'm taking my Bronco on: https://expeditionportal.com/overland-routes-the-texas-hill-country/

Also check out "The Road Chose Me" on youtube. The guy drove a jeep from Alaska to Argentina with not much equipment. Then he built up a nicer jeep and drove all over Africa. I don't know that it's applicable to anything I would do, but I love it for inspiration.
Checked out the link and now the whole family is going mid-March. I'm just moving back after 15 years away and while my parents are experienced
campers and I've taken my kids many times this will be our first camping trip together. My brother and sister with their SOs are also going to join so it'll be fun. Maybe I'll post a trail blog after we're done.

Edit: Thank you so much for the link.
Sponsored