Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Bronco
Badlands
When I lived in Southern California my commute was 55 miles... each way.
Yeah, but that's the outlier. There's no point in making a hybrid/PHEV with range beyond what 80% of people need for a daily commute. At that point, those people should go full EV (or not at all). Or, I guess live with just getting some of their commute battery-powered.

I always used to wonder why/how people would drive so long for a commute, especially on traffic-bogged roads. I'm glad I've been working from home for the past 10+ years.
Advertisement

North7

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, but that's the outlier. There's no point in making a hybrid/PHEV with range beyond what 80% of people need for a daily commute. At that point, those people should go full EV (or not at all). Or, I guess live with just getting some of their commute battery-powered.

I always used to wonder why/how people would drive so long for a commute, especially on traffic-bogged roads. I'm glad I've been working from home for the past 10+ years.
In SoCal, you are handcuffed by where the industry or business is you work in. Second, you find were there are affordable homes, larger than a 50 year old, 900 sq ft one. Once you find said home and your career is established in said industry, you end up taking planes, trains and automobiles to work. In my case, over the years I lived their, I drove alone sometimes, carpooled others, vanpooled others.

Once the vanpool ended due to lack of riders, I tried the train for a while, which ment, I drove 25 minutes to the train station, took a 45-60 minute ride on the train, took a bus to a drop off near work and then walked the last 1/2 mile to work. In the afternoon, reverse, repeat. My commute was 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the moring 1 1/2 to 3 hours at night. Eat dinner, go to bed, get up at 4am, repeat, absolutely brutal.

When the opportunity came to relocate to Texas, I sold the house first, then gave two weeks notice and fled the state as fast as I could.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Bronco
Undecided
In SoCal, you are handcuffed by where the industry or business is you work in. Second, you find were there are affordable homes, larger than a 50 year old, 900 sq ft one. Once you find said home and your career is established in said industry, you end up taking planes, trains and automobiles to work. In my case, over the years I lived their, I drove alone sometimes, carpooled others, vanpooled others.

Once the vanpool ended due to lack of riders, I tried the train for a while, which ment, I drove 25 minutes to the train station, took a 45-60 minute ride on the train, took a bus to a drop off near work and then walked the last 1/2 mile to work. In the afternoon, reverse, repeat. My commute was 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the moring 1 1/2 to 3 hours at night. Eat dinner, go to bed, get up at 4am, repeat, absolutely brutal.

When the opportunity came to relocate to Texas, I sold the house first, then gave two weeks notice and fled the state as fast as I could.
Yeah, I moved out of CA over 18 years ago and never been back. So Cal had bad traffic but not as bad as the Bay Area. 12 mile commute that would take me 2 hours each way. Living in the Pacific North West working from home. Commute is 30 seconds to my office. 20 minute drive to a ski resort or off roading. 5 minute drive or bike ride to great hiking. Does not rain near as much as people complain about. I should keep this down though because people here really do not want anything positive advertised. Already a huge influx of people.

ilbastarge

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

Totally agree with you, but the EV guys will die on their hill, data be dammed.
Wonder if those guys were shocked by the results...

EDIT: On a serious note though, what type of power is required to generate a charging capability for the battery? Is it more than your home style generator?

Last edited:

Ryuk

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon, Alfa Romeo 4c, Buell XB12RS
Bronco
Base
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1627693064825.png

DLJohnson

Badlands
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Harley Street Glide
Bronco
Badlands
Whew…. 16 pages later and I can reply.

loved the video and I think there’s a lot of takeaways. The biggest for me is that the Bronco and Wrangler are very evenly matched (as equipped in the video) off-road.
Next up is the 4xe… I live 5 miles from the office and now commute 2 days per week. Office also has 4 charging stations. I could live with a 4xe daily and charge for free at the office. Take it on a long off-road trip a few times per year and only pay for gas while I’m out of town. Sounds awesome (still would prefer the Bronco)

lastly, I wonder how both rigs would fare on true beadlocks at >10psi on the same trail. 35” tires obviously have less clearance and more grip with that little pressure.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Bronco
Undecided
Here is the defender recovery follow up video if anyone is interested.

God bless the two door! It's amazing what a non-rubicon wrangler really can do. Shell out less than $300 for quick disconnects and a 'take off' 4 door rubicon suspension (will lift a 2 door ~ 2 inches) and it'll go pretty much anywhere.
Great job getting that behemoth off the mountain, Tommy.

LarryZiegler

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2021 Ford Bronco
Bronco
Badlands
Towing would significantly reduce range as well.

You could always haul a big ass generator in the back. But that seems to defeat the purpose. Or:

Presentation1.jpg
You need to watch TFL’s video on the towing failure of the Tesla. In addition, TFL also had a video on carrying an inverter generator…..another failure as Tesla’s automation stopped the generator charge…..8 hrs and 12 miles (or something very close to that) later. Tommy used a 2000W Unit

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...25A2928384089C7356EF25A2928384089&FORM=WRVORC

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A81432C8F7191640F8EBA81432C&FORM=VIRE&PC=APPL

Last edited:

fergthulhu

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '09 Toyota RAV4
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the defender recovery follow up video if anyone is interested.

Also a fun video...didn't know there was going to be a part III, now I'm excited for that one.

Reactions: Rpm
OP
OP
bdub2you

bdub2you

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
current vehicles in flux at the moment
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Also a fun video...didn't know there was going to be a part III, now I'm excited for that one.
Well that cliffhanger where it looks like the defender is going to flip means I'm definitely going to watch part III. Honestly though, I kind of have regrets not ordering the defender at the same time as the bronco. I would have definitely had my defender build by now and whenever my bronco eventually shows up I bet I'd be able to get close to MSRP for the defender on resale.

Bronco Pilot

First Edition
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 BMW M3, 2018 F150, 2018 EA330SC
Bronco
First Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Man I don’t know about a Defender. Once you get past the nostalgia, seems like they don’t have a lot to offer people that off road more than basic dirt roads.

OP
OP
bdub2you

bdub2you

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
current vehicles in flux at the moment
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Man I don’t know about a Defender. Once you get past the nostalgia, seems like they don’t have a lot to offer people that off road more than basic dirt roads.
If you're only going to off road occasionally on basic trails, then the Defender is a much better option. The interior is FAR superior to the bronco, the road noise, road driving, etc. are all much better. The reasons I stuck with the bronco is 1) nostalgia (grandfather owned a bronco), 2) cheaper repair bills no matter what happens, and 3) removable roof.

Advertisement

Zone Offroad
Advertisement