Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TFL has posted their comparison video showing what I think is the first real world comparison of the Bronco, Wrangler, and Defender on a challenging trail.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thanks for posting.

Takeaway: The Bronco on 35" tires made it over the rocks easier than the Jeep or Land Rover.

The Jeep only got 3 miles out of the batteries before they were dead, an 80% loss of the claimed 17 mile range.

So which vehicle was left for dead overnight?
Land Rover Defender

Last edited:

maximus3686

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Jeep on 33s = go around obstacles
Bronco on 35s = go over obstacles
Defender on 20 inch rims = go into town for replacement tires :rolleyes:

@TFLtruck Tommy I don't think I have ever seen you that upset in a video before. Great work!

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really donā€™t get the hate @TFLtruck gets on here, Iā€™ve watched them on and off over the years and yeah, they make mistakes. But every reviewer does to some extent. But Iā€™ve literally never had cause to say theyā€™re biased because by and large they do some of the most comprehensive testing of vehicles out there and they specifically have segments where one will argue pros and the other will argue cons.
People need to chill with their hate. Like seriously who else has bought a brand new bronco and immediately taken it out for torture testing? I havenā€™t seen it. The Canadians guys did some but it was piece of cake stuff.

Sponsored

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

@TFLtruck Tommy I don't think I have ever seen you that upset in a video before. Great work!
Lol yeah that Defender was not specced appropriately for an offroad test like this.

At the very least it needed the optional skid plate, rear and middle diff. Even better the caliper swap + 18" wheels, and proper off roading tires. Their original Defender was much more appropriately specced, too bad it sh*t the bed

As built, TFL's defender is a road truck.

Last edited:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really donā€™t get the hate @TFLtruck gets on here, Iā€™ve watched them on and off over the years and yeah, they make mistakes. But every reviewer does to some extent. But Iā€™ve literally never had cause to say theyā€™re biased because by and large they do some of the most comprehensive testing of vehicles out there and they specifically have segments where one will argue pros and the other will argue cons.
People need to chill with their hate. Like seriously who else has bought a brand new bronco and immediately taken it out for torture testing? I havenā€™t seen it. The Canadians guys did some but it was piece of cake stuff.
I like them...seem like good dudes.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Certainly enjoyed seeing the Bronco (and others) in action. Have to say that there is ZERO chance I'd do this to my Bronco on the second day of ownership, though.

The really interesting revelation in this video is around the kind of range one might be able to expect with a BEV (Rivian/Cybertruck...) for offroading. The Wrangle Rubicon 4xe with a 17kWh batter that got almost 27 miles of range on flat ground, ended up only getting 3.1 miles on a challenging trail. At that point it switched over to IC only, so no harm, no foul.

However, a BEV will ONLY have electric, and if this is even remotely representative (proportionately), then on the mid-level Rivian (you can get 105Kwh, 135kWh and 180kWh batteries) you would potentially only get about 25 miles of range. Unless there is a charger near where you are off-roading, that might not be a viable option.

Technology will improve the batteries, the efficiency of the vehicles, and there will be more chargers, but this looks (to me) like it has a little ways to go. Maybe when I'm ready for my next Bronco. ;)

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was really hoping they would show the decent off the peak of Redcone and some of the use of trail control there. The decent is fun, steep and loose.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I like to tease TFL and Land Rover, I do feel some sympathy because this is not the original Defender they wanted to own, let alone run head to head against the Bronco and Wrangler. I think they originally had a much more robust base trim, which without the air spring stilts would articulate slightly better and with the much better steel rims/large sidewall combo tires, would have probably made it out alright.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No hate for TFL, they generally have good content.

TFLtruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Gladiator, Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ha thanks! Wait till you see me drag that Defender down the mountain if you thought I was upset here šŸ˜®

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I enjoyed the video.

It's also a good reminder for me to never try and offroad my Sierra when it has the 20s mounted. I've only taken it off road once, and I had the 17s on at the time. It still was not very impressive though. Its size is a big weakness in the woods. It also has some scratches to remind me of that.
Sponsored