mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Exactly, they plugged the Charity in the video and will likely continue to do so, they are solid guys. The defender wasn’t done dirty as they state because they bought 3 vehicles off the floor that are representative of each manufacturers “off-road” models and wheeled them that way. Changing stuff out would not be representative of what they were showing that you can or can’t wheel this trail off the dealer lot. The Defender wasn’t up to the trail, if it would have pinch flatted one tire It could be chalked up to driver error on wheel placement, but the fact that it did it with 2 drivers on two different rocks shows that LR has mis-specced this vehicle for that trail.

Also that trail is absolutely nothing compared to a TON of real ROCKY trails out east and even many trails out there I am sure, I did see what appeared to be a stock 4Runner crest the mountain at the end of the video.
Sorry, that's not an 'offroad' specced Defender. No offroad pack (aka missing rear diff), no front skid plate, no exposed tow hooks front or back, etc before we even get into the whole 18" vs 20" wheel discussion

It's not TFL's fault though, if you go back in their videos they originally specced out an actual much more offroad Defender, but that broke down and they got this (much more expensive) one off the lot to replace it (actually the second replacement).
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

3.1 mile of actual range of rock crawling in 4xe on battery. AND he had only traveled 1.9 miles when he dropped below 20% charge.. Which means he can no longer do a fast-charge. (Its a limitation of using fast-charging stations) I'm not so sure battery power plants are the answer....
Totally agree with you, but the EV guys will die on their hill, data be dammed.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Am I the only person with full 5G Verizon that can’t get videos to play on this website? Multiple browsers on my phone, none work.

Click YouTube? Immediately plays.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was dead set on Badlands non squatch 33" tires only. Seeing how the 35" tires climbed over things easier, it has me second guessing my decision.

What swayed you to go the opposite direction?
(whispers quietly so not everyone hears) "just add the 35's to the Badlands, wheel travel is king"

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I got four things out of this video:

1) When we laugh at the 20" mall crawler wheels, there is a reason

2) I am not buying a Range Rover Defender mall crawler. The 90 looks cool-ish, and can tow way more, but it clearly is off-road in legacy only. The wine and cheese, steeplechase crowd have ruined it.

3) We all need 4WP's armor for that lower control arm mount and probably the rear lower shock mounts too.

4) While I am waiting for the Bronco to get scheduled, get a top, etc., I need to take a serious look at a 4xE. I've driven a JT, but not a JL, and I need to look again at the JL. Extreme Recon puts it about where my JK is, and will make it that much better.

Sponsored

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only 4x4 option ours doesn’t have is the rear diff lock, which imho is not such a big deal on the defender as 1.it’s a full automatic system and 2. The traction management is so impressive already it is amazing how efficient and effective it is at transferring power to the wheel with grip.

We have the factory skid plates on ours and from the folks I’ve talked to they’re really not up to the task. It’s a slippery slope. Sure we could modify it with 18’s by changing the rear brake calipers and then the factory tires but then folks get upset you’re modifying it from how land rover intended it etc. Look nothing stopped them from giving rock rails and 17’s from the factory, they have that ability :/
I just think your original spec Defender was such a better candidate for this kind of comparison. The P300 is fine and the 18" wheels make all the difference. It's a shame it broke so badly lol

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Things break when off-roading. Its just part of the activity. Having 3 powerplants is too much to deal with when something breaks and that dashboard indicator lights up that there is a problem...
I really like the idea of a PHEV. Electric only for most / all in town driving. Gas for when you need range and quick fuel ups on road trips.

However, I am worried it would not be a plesant or inexpensive long term ownership experience. As you said, you litterally have more things that could go wrong.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The Wrangler is more nimble and (sorry guys) obviously better articulation.
That spot in the video where Tommy disengaged the sway bar and then they showed the Jeep going through it clearly shows why solid axel is king on trails. Bronco holds its own no doubt though.
Maybe the side by side photo of the articulation was hard to judge, but to me they seemed about equal.

What is it you saw to say the Jeep had better articulation?

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1) When we laugh at the 20" mall crawler wheels, there is a reason
20s are fine off road if you wrap 42" Trail Grapplers around them, but otherwise, yes, they are better suited for the mall, or towing your off road toy down the highway.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great review on the 4xe and commentary on how that will relate to off-road EV's. The 4xe lost over 80% of it's electric only range on the trail.
It confirms what I've been saying about EV's off road, that they make no sense to me. A hybrid, yes, but full EV... NO.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I like to tease TFL and Land Rover, I do feel some sympathy because this is not the original Defender they wanted to own, let alone run head to head against the Bronco and Wrangler. I think they originally had a much more robust base trim, which without the air spring stilts would articulate slightly better and with the much better steel rims/large sidewall combo tires, would have probably made it out alright.
I think it was Donald Rumsfeld who first said:

"You go to war with the Defender the dealership replaced your Defender with that the Defender replaced your Defender with.... not the Defender you want."

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What is it you saw
You can clearly see the bronco lift two wheels and sea/saw a bit as he goes over the obstacles while the Wrangler has all four still on the ground. Look with front and rear lockers it's not a huge deal as you still have good traction, but Ford claims 17% more articulation than the wrangler and that is clearly not the case.

On a side note, does anyone else think the defender looks grumpy with those hooded headlights? Not as bad as the 'angry jeep grill', but still....

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is why my lightly-armored Big Bend will be parked at the trail head and I’ll hike to the top.