Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm caught in between! Though not really as I have my VIN and couldn't change if I want, but this video made me appreciate the 35s. It just chewed the big obstacles up.

That said, the 33s with the added wheel travel they provide would be fun to see in this same scenario, and I'm sure would do very well.

I always just click on the link at the top of the video that opens the YouTube app. Much easier and less frustrating.

Seriously can't wait for a PHEV Bronco. I think it's the best option for my use case - a DD with a relatively short daily commute. Most days I could do all my driving in electric-only and never fire up the ICE. But I log some serious miles on the days I do travel, and want to have the ability to go wherever without fear of finding a charging station. Some day chargers will be ubiquitous enough for rural Kansas, but we aren't even close to there yet.

Two thoughts on the articulation. I've wondered for some time if the rear wheel suspension articulates as easily (even if it technically has as much wheel travel) as the Jeep. Two, the pic above is close to fair - but it's not. They have slightly different lines and it makes a ton of difference. You can see the rear driver side wheel on the Jeep is higher up the slope - this immediately moves the passenger side of the Jeep down.

Not making an argument one way or the other, but to truly measure articulation you must have exactly identical wheel placement, and they don't have it here.

That said, I don't think there's any doubt the Wrangler appeared more nimble on this trail, though I'm not sure it's a substitute for the added clearance of the 35s. The first big obstacle on the trail was a huge differentiator for me - the Bronco chewed it up while the Defender definitely struggled and the Jeep was more challenged getting through it.

I'd love to see a Badlands on 33s go through there.
I agree - did the Bronco seem unstable or incapable stock as it went up that bit of trail? No. It took to that trail like it was meant to be there.

The Jeep wins articulation, but what they didn’t say was how the difference in ride was between the two on the trail. And then there is the Bronco’s advantages on road and on higher speed trails.
Sponsored

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video. I’m getting a Bronco in large part for nostalgia reasons and it is obviously much better on road than a Jeep. No Jeep hate, I just always wanted a Bronco since I was a teenager (but they haven’t been around). I live in South Florida so I won’t be doing Colorado rock climbs either but it sure as heck seemed to me the only advantage the Bronco had over the Wrangler was 35” tires.

I have 2 questions based on comments I’ve seen though:

1 - why would you think a non Sas BL, which reportedly has less travel and 33“ be a better option than the FE they were driving?

2 - i get the 2 door has a shorter wheelbase so that seems to have clearance advantage but it isn’t any narrower and that was another apparent Jeep advantage, right?

Call my Outer Banks a mall crawler if it makes you feel manly…I’d say beach crawler though, but I’m just wondering why those talking about how hard core off-roader they are wouldn’t go with a Jeep Instead? BTW - Jeep actually makes them too

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did they every claim that? I thought they were being pretty clever to avoid those direct comparisons knowing an IFS could never compete with a SFA.
They claimed the wheel travel of the Bronco (Badlands) is 17% greater than the Wrangler. This is true, and is very beneficial offroad especially at high speed. Nobody cares though because 17% more wheel travel on IFS does not equal 17% more RTI score (how the the claim has been interpreted and spread). Regardless, the two door Badlands non-squatch RTI is about deadnuts even with the 2 door Wrangler, and the 4 Door is just shy, in Squatch form its a little less yet.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I think the Bronco made it too easy for them and that is why Tommy wanted to choose the harder lines. I didn't necessarily see anywhere the bronco couldn't fit. Tommy literally said I am trying to take the harder line on purpose when he smacked the lower control arm mount.

I think the Bronco struggled less than the jeep from what I can tell. The Jeep didn't have the clearance and was bouncing around. Overall I loved the video and I can't wait for more content like this with the Bronco.

I would like to see TFL take the Bronco on a ramp and see the RTI scores of the Jeep and Bronco. I don't see the 17% better articulation Ford claims but would like to see the comparison.
Think the 17% is on the two door non-Squatch badlands - but yeah …

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video. I’m getting a Bronco in large part for nostalgia reasons and it is obviously much better on road than a Jeep. No Jeep hate, I just always wanted a Bronco since I was a teenager (but they haven’t been around). I live in South Florida so I won’t be doing Colorado rock climbs either but it sure as heck seemed to me the only advantage the Bronco had over the Wrangler was 35” tires.

I have 2 questions based on comments I’ve seen though:

1 - why would you think a non Sas BL, which reportedly has less travel and 33“ be a better option than the FE they were driving?

2 - i get the 2 door has a shorter wheelbase so that seems to have clearance advantage but it isn’t any narrower and that was another apparent Jeep advantage, right?

Call my Outer Banks a mall crawler if it makes you feel manly…I’d say beach crawler though, but I’m just wondering why those talking about how hard core off-roader they are wouldn’t go with a Jeep Instead? BTW - Jeep actually makes them too
Non-Sas BL has the greatest travel of all trims.

If you Sas the BL you lose travel (to prevent rubbing with the larger diameter tires).

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wouldn’t the different suspension of SAS vs BL offset that?
The difference in the two suspensions is that travel is limited on Sas.

There might be different dampening profiles.... but otherwise the suspensions are the same between BL and Sas. They are both the same series of Bilstein position sensitive shocks.

The lower trims, Base-OB, have the non-position sensitive shocks... those all have shorter travel than the BL/Sas.

That's why you can add lift pucks to the lower trims and not the BL/Sas... the lower trims don't allow enough downward articulation for the CVs to bind... the BL and Sas do.

Nothing Left

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Audi A8, Wrangler JK, WR450F
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I wouldn’t get so excited about a Ford Hybrid. I owned an Escape Hybrid and never again. The Hybrid battery runs out of warranty at 10 years and costs way too much to replace (over 10k).
The thing nobody talks about is you can’t run the ICE without the Hybrid battery. It relies on the hybrid battery to start the ICE. So dead in the water if your hybrid battery fails.
Seriously can't wait for a PHEV Bronco. I think it's the best option for my use case - a DD with a relatively short daily commute. Most days I could do all my driving in electric-only and never fire up the ICE. But I log some serious miles on the days I do travel, and want to have the ability to go wherever without fear of finding a charging station. Some day chargers will be ubiquitous enough for rural Kansas, but we aren't even close to there yet.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t get so excited about a Ford Hybrid. I owned an Escape Hybrid and never again. The Hybrid battery runs out of warranty at 10 years and costs way too much to replace (over 10k).
The thing nobody talks about is you can’t run the ICE without the Hybrid battery. It relies on the hybrid battery to start the ICE. So dead in the water if your hybrid battery fails.
When did you buy your Escape? Is it a plug-in electric hybrid, or a standard hybrid?

Hybrid technology has advanced so much the last few years - and, PHEV hybrids are completely different animals than standard. Not dismissing your experience, but I'll judge the reality of a PHEV Bronco based on the technology and reliability used when it's actually produced.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The noises of scraping going over those rocks makes me cringe. I want to drive my Bronco but I don’t think I want to hear that in person 😂
Nathan's reaction is pretty experienced-cool. That's what bash plates, rash rings, and ABS fenders are for (also sliders with stand-off protection).

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference in the two suspensions is that travel is limited on Sas.

There might be different dampening profiles.... but otherwise the suspensions are the same between BL and Sas. They are both the same series of Bilstein position sensitive shocks.

The lower trims, Base-OB, have the non-position sensitive shocks... those all have shorter travel than the BL/Sas.

That's why you can add lift pucks to the lower trims and not the BL/Sas... the lower trims don't allow enough downward articulation for the CVs to bind... the BL and Sas do.
Thanks for that explanation.

One thing I know for sure is there is no chance in hell I’d try any of that trail in my Range Rover Sport no matter what Land Rover says it can do!

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ve followed these guys for years. They’re not perfect, but I appreciate their seeming honesty and slightly goofy way about things; as a dad whose kids rib me about bad dad jokes, these guys fit right in. And they’re always very insightful, informative, and do great tests — some of their odd matchups for drag racing not withstanding. But I haven’t seen Nathan for a while, so it was great to see him here again.

Nothing Left

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Audi A8, Wrangler JK, WR450F
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
When did you buy your Escape? Is it a plug-in electric hybrid, or a standard hybrid?

Hybrid technology has advanced so much the last few years - and, PHEV hybrids are completely different animals than standard. Not dismissing your experience, but I'll judge the reality of a PHEV Bronco based on the technology and reliability used when it's actually produced.
Mine was a 2006 standard Hybrid and I bought it used for my kid. It was an expensive learning opportunity. I’m sure you are right that technology has changed, but I won’t be going down that route again. Too many things to go wrong and the repair network for hybrid cars is a specialty niche with not a lot of knowledge on the dealer side or the independent side when things go wrong…..at least not yet. I had this happen about 6 months ago and it was not fun to try to fix.
Sponsored