North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yes, this. The battery should be sized so that it is useful for commuting. Maybe 40 miles would cover the vast majority of "normal" daily drivers. Off-road, it's really pointless, unless you consider a trip to the Christmas tree lot off road. 😄

I'm not sure about general reliability across various manufacturers or specifically Ford's hybrid/PHEV, but I'd be very hesitant to put trust in Jeep, as they have a long and consistent track record of very sub-par reliability across multiple areas of the vehicle.

TL;DR: If Ford comes out with a 40-mile battery option, I'd consider it. But then again, how much heavier would this beast be?
When I lived in Southern California my commute was 55 miles... each way.
Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As much as I like to tease TFL and Land Rover, I do feel some sympathy because this is not the original Defender they wanted to own, let alone run head to head against the Bronco and Wrangler. I think they originally had a much more robust base trim, which without the air spring stilts would articulate slightly better and with the much better steel rims/large sidewall combo tires, would have probably made it out alright.
Yes, they had two previous new version Defenders that had problems right from the dealership. I saw that video a few months ago.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yep.
I'm pleased that we're seeing some electric/hybrid vehicles enter the off-road market, because I think it's necessary for the tech to develop.

But as it stands now, the tech is just not where it needs to be for any kind of all-electric vehicle to be viable for off-roading or overlanding. Range is too low, and on-board solar cannot provide anything close to what's necessary to recharge quickly in the wild.

And look at this Wrangler on the trail. The instant torque of the electric motor is great in lots of situations, but it can easily mean a lack of fine control on rocks. The Bronco calmly and steadily rolls over obstacles, while that 4XE is moving in fits and spurts.
At least Lordstown attempted a race but found their system wanting.

Lordstown Motors Endurance Race Truck Called It Quits After 40 Miles of Baja’s San Felipe 250
After completing the first 40-mile leg of the race, Matthew Blanchard, Lordstown Motors' director of security and the vehicle's driver, stopped to top off the Endurance's charge. The team also took this time to review telematics data regarding the vehicle's off-road performance and soon determined that it wasn't aligned with what was expected from the race. Lordstown Motors then announced that it would stop at this point and officially withdrew from the remaining 80+ percent of the race.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I lived in Southern California my commute was 55 miles... each way.
And that commute isn't going to be a good use case for a PHEV. A full EV, however...

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Soooooo, let me start off my saying, that trail is considered a green level [Easiest] at the places I wheel and people do those without lockers. There were a couple of sections that may be considered a blue [slightly harder but still towards the easy side] in which a rear locker is recommended but not required and a little bump can help when needed.

That defender has no point being off road. When you can't crawl a rock as small as the one at the 9 minute mark, that vehicle should stick to the pavement. It also doesn't have tires with any sort of extra beef in the sidewalls, or lugs, so I am not surprised it had that puncture.

The Jeep guy took the first obstacle too fast. He would have gone over it exactly like the Bronco, had he driven it slower. It would have prevented it from kicking out. The difference there was driver, not vehicle. Tommy just drove it smarter, and the bigger tires will always help.
Also, I will point out, a 2 door, with a shorter wheel base would have better length for this trail. It was nice to hear the driver of the jeep state just that at the 17 minute mark.

Personally, I've never called a trail that is 60-70% dirt, 30-40% rocks, a rock garden.
18:15 mark was comical. Put the rear tire on the rock, and then you won't hit the suspension. :rolleyes:

Ford, I am sorry but your claim about more front articulation is proven to be untrue in this picture and 22:25 of the video. Significantly more air under the Bronco tire. Furthermore, the Bronco body is following the rear axle, [Typical when there is no sway bar at both ends] whereas the Jeep body is almost level
Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video 1627576765718

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you know what is being updated for the MY23 4Runner redesign?
Not more than anyone else. They say it will be out for the 2025 year. The biggest thing I hope is engine and transmission. It is pretty dated. But the upside to it is reliability and availability of parts. It will be some time before you can trust the Bronco is both reliable, first year not really a knock on Ford itself, and there are parts available because $hit happens.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not more than anyone else. They say it will be out for the 2025 year. The biggest thing I hope is engine and transmission. It is pretty dated. But the upside to it is reliability and availability of parts. It will be some time before you can trust the Bronco is both reliable, first year not really a knock on Ford itself, and there are parts available because $hit happens.
Thank you, wow, 2025 :oops:, at first I had heard it was going to be a MY22, then a MY23, then a MY24, now MY25, does Toyota not know how to keep a schedule?

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you, wow, 2025 :oops:, at first I had heard it was going to be a MY22, then a MY23, then a MY24, now MY25, does Toyota not know how to keep a schedule?
They seem to be bad at a schedule as well as a secret.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Should always have a tire kit for trail repairs. It's amazing what has been done with a kit like this & the use of other creative materials like strips of the spare tire that's now flat etc... I've seen a 5+" gash in a tires sidewall remedied with a kit like this.

Just remember that the majority of trial repairs are just that, repairs to get you off of the trail & require proper attention once back to safety ;)

Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video 1627576765718
I now carry the t tool and pre conditioned plugs. But how do you handle sidewall gashes?

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Should always have a tire kit for trail repairs. It's amazing what has been done with a kit like this & the use of other creative materials like strips of the spare tire that's now flat etc... I've seen a 5+" gash in a tires sidewall remedied with a kit like this.

Just remember that the majority of trial repairs are just that, repairs to get you off of the trail & require proper attention once back to safety ;)
I've been a vehicle owner for over 10 years, and I just got my first tire plug kit this year, to fix a flat on my RZR. It's so quick and easy for small punctures. I should have had one in my tool kit years ago. It would have saved me having to mount a spare on the side of the highway a few years ago.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the video TFL. I can't wait to get my badlands on the trail in CO...well...hope my bronco gets out of QC and delivered by then.

I think in the video they made the comment that Tommy was taking a different line inpart due to the wider Bronco and because the 35's let him. You see at the section Tommy disengages the swaybar and you see a tire lift he is on a different line than the Jeep ends up on.

In the end the SFA will allow for more travel...especially once you start lifting it.

The Bronco held its own and like has been said with the IFS having a front locker is more important.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I now carry the t tool and pre conditioned plugs. But how do you handle sidewall gashes?
Kevin on litebrite actually did it. Lot of plugs and bailing wire. Sew it up with the wire and stuff a ton of plugs between the sewing gaps. Held air to get off the trail. Would not have thought that was possible.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was dead set on Badlands non squatch 33" tires only. Seeing how the 35" tires climbed over things easier, it has me second guessing my decision.

What swayed you to go the opposite direction?
I know that articulation is greater with 33" tires unless you've got a 3-4 link long arm suspension, but this is an IFS, so that's not possible.

For IFS, it's smarter in my view to go with larger tires if you'll be dealing with rocks or tree logs and even deep mud to help increase your wade depth.

As you pointed out, 35s allow you to go OVER more obstacles easier and keep you from bottoming out on the skids and potentially banging your rear diff.

Big concern for me also are the control arms which hang a bit out back and may need an upgrade if you're going to regularly deal with larger rocks; not boulders, but large rocks.

All that said, if you want 33s and that's enough for you, get that size. The trade off is more on-road feel and better control and braking. Sure I went Squatch for my 2 Dr Badlands, but not because I felt 33s were inadequate, which is not true.

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

McLovin didn't handle that very well!

LOL

Ford Bronco TFL: 2021 Bronco vs Wrangler vs Defender - Off-Road Trail Comparison Video TFL
Sponsored