Sponsored

TFL and 5 Star Tuning saying should be able to get 500+ HP out of the Bronco 2.7L

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

5star tuning got their first Bronco in yesterday. Badlands 2.7
@5star - I can't wait to see some numbers on both the 2.3 and 2.7
Sponsored

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm be curious to see what tuning does, the initial launch seems a little soft.

Sponsored

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first half of this vide they are tuning a 2.7L F150 with an upgraded inter cooler, exhaust, cold air, intake, E50 and a tune and hitting 530hp.

They forgot to mention larger or modified turbos. kills reliability

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you! Definitely missed that!

Yeah that makes a BIG difference in the cost. These seem like reasonable numbers??

$500 for a cold air intake
$1000 AMS Intercooler
$1650 for CRP Stage 2 turbos (if you send yours in)
$500 for water / meth injection
$1000 for a high flow cat downpipe
$500 for a tune
$850 installation of parts

$6000 Total
I don't need that , I want long term reliability for far trips off road .

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't need that , I want long term reliability for far trips off road .
=== Seems Legit to me.

I have read multiple posts across many different corners of the internet claiming this 2.7L can hit 500HP also. There was something somewhere that I can't find anymore that basically claimed, all you need to do is plunk down $1000 for a computer chip from Germany that unlocks 50% more HP in the 2.7L Twin Turbo (which 330 x 1.5 === 495 HP, yeah I can live with that...) - but while several people were like "Yeah damn straight I'm buying it as soon as it's available!) others said precisely what DCG2 said, along the same lines at least, "No you need like SEVEN different parts and major installations and it's not $1K it's going to be closer to $5K (in this post it's $6000...) - that is completely different ...

And would that not void the warranties? It's one thing you really could just buy a $1000 chip, pop it in, fire that biatch up and you have ~500HP. I would seriously be interested in that. But all that other stuff, major changes and the reliability is a huge factor also.

Maybe if I hit the lottery but ... alas...

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Please tell me what facts anyone has that a larger turbo wheel is going to cause reliability issues? (With the turbo) This has been done to literally thousands and thousands of trucks already for over 20 yrs...?

Sure some folks have paired two turbos together and put a giant wheel on one or both sides and broke the shaft inside the turbo, but these were extreem situations in diesel trucks. A few mm bigger wheel is NOT going to cause problems. In fact the turbo will likely last longer because the bigger wheeled one doesn't have to work as hard as the tiny factory turbo.

Overboost? OK possible...if something isn't set up correctly nor a BOV or waistgate failed I suppose 🤔
To high EGTs? Yep , if it's NOT tuned right.
Breaking mechanical parts? Highly unlikely!

$5000 for 500HP is not that bad ....especially when folks spend nearly that on coilovers with minimal improvements 🤣

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Please tell me what facts anyone has that a larger turbo wheel is going to cause reliability issues? (With the turbo) This has been done to literally thousands and thousands of trucks already for over 20 yrs...?
The biggest reliability issue, to me, is a drive line designed to handle far less stress. A 50% gain in horsepower should probably include drive line upgrades to handle it.
Sponsored