Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, this naming debacle...

Trucks have beds. Truck beds tend to be uncovered from the factory. If you have to put seats down to have a "bed" and take the cover off of it, I dunno if that's a truck.

I think the Bronco is an SUV and anyone calling it a truck just wants to be able to say, "I drive a truck" because "I drive an SUV" can be perceived as too many different things that they might not care for, such as a soccer-mom-mobile. (But if you're driving a 4-door, you're not that far off anyway. šŸ˜‰)

That said, what will I say?

"What do you drive?

"I drive a Bronco." (Beaming with pride)
A ā€œpickup truckā€ has a bed. A pickup is one type of truck. Bronco is on a truck platform. SUVs on truck platforms are another subset of trucks. A Bronco Sport is not a truck. A 4Runner is a truck.

Car & Driver puts Bronco in the truck category. A full-size van is a truck.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a33286981/ford-bronco-kind-of-a-big-deal/

D0E01FE6-4726-4D49-BE02-4A2699D49AE5.jpeg

Maybe younger folk donā€™t get it. My early Bronco and my Gen 4 were called trucks.
Sponsored

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Terrible video review. So tired of these basic, pedestrian reviews. Closed it out less than a minute in.
I suspect that driving impressions are still under embargo. Next Monday has been mentioned (by one of our forum regulars who hinted at being at a Ford event as well) as a date where more will come. Let's give it a bit more time.

Peter

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A ā€œpickup truckā€ has a bed. A pickup is one type of truck. Bronco is on a truck platform. SUVs on truck platforms are another subset of trucks. A Bronco Sport is not a truck. A 4Runner is a truck.

Car & Driver puts Bronco in the truck category. A full-size van is a truck.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a33286981/ford-bronco-kind-of-a-big-deal/

Ford Bronco [TFL] Hands-On Review of 2021 Bronco -- Worth The Wait? Bronco Week Ep.1 D0E01FE6-4726-4D49-BE02-4A2699D49AE5

Maybe younger folk donā€™t get it. My early Bronco and my Gen 4 were called trucks.
I mean, if you want to get into semantics, I think it's you "older folks" that don't get it.

A truck got named a truck because of the verb "truck." To "truck something around." So if we look at an actual definition of a truck as a noun, it's a vehicle made to haul things. Or people.

The Bronco is not made for that. And to your argument, the older Broncos (2-5G) might have been called trucks because they had an elongated bed, which backs my argument. The 1G did not, and as previously mentioned, was called an "All Purpose Vehicle"

Ford Bronco [TFL] Hands-On Review of 2021 Bronco -- Worth The Wait? Bronco Week Ep.1 1624303065033

But let's call the 6G Bronco for what it is... a Jeep competitor. And what does Jeep call their Wrangler?

RBF... you're great and all... But sadly I must inform you... Jeep calls themselves the "Longest Lasting SUV Brand" in many of their commercials. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Sorry

Ford Bronco [TFL] Hands-On Review of 2021 Bronco -- Worth The Wait? Bronco Week Ep.1 1624303065033
Thanks for coming to my Ted talk. :)

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is the only correct method hahaha!
Ford did a nice job with the quality of the touch points. I do have to say the dash top and especially the area around the cupholder in the center console I thought were not especially high quality.
C'mon man, the dash top? If it is UV resistant and doesn't rattle that's all that counts. You want a durable dash top that you wipe clean with a damp paper towel. Maybe once per year shine it up a bit with Aerospace 303, Meguiar's.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is like a broken record I wanna see a driving review. Guess will need to wait till average people start getting them from their dealers to get the real reviews.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is like a broken record I wanna see a driving review. Guess will need to wait till average people start getting them from their dealers to get the real reviews.
You will see more driving reviews than you can handle next Monday when the embargo is lifted.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

On BD, can tube steps be added or do the rock rails eliminate that?šŸ¤”

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay, kid. I was there. Broncos were in the truck category. ā€œAll-Purpose Vehicleā€ is a marketing angle within the truck category. Not sure why it bothers you.

Even the ā€œwagonā€ hardtop version of the early Bronco only came standard with the driverā€™s seat. Passenger seat and rear seat were options. Farmers would buy without and carry hay bales inside.

I never heard anyone use the word ā€œsport utility vehicleā€ out loud until maybe the ā€˜90s. It apparently has been a marketing term for a long time, but in the 1970s and ā€˜80s we called Broncos, Blazers, Ramchargers, and anything else you drove off road, that had a truck-looking front end and a square body a ā€œtruck.ā€ SUV wasnā€™t a term used by any consumer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bronco nation is to keep you entertained bronco6g is for actual information and know howā€™s. Looking forward to when people actually start getting them and posting diy mods and whatnot.

TonyWonder

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bronco nation is to keep you entertained bronco6g is for actual information and know howā€™s. Looking forward to when people actually start getting them and posting diy mods and whatnot.
Trust me, there is FAR more entertainment to be found here than at the other forum.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On BD, can tube steps be added or do the rock rails eliminate that?šŸ¤”
You can only get tube steps on the mall crawler versions ;) . BD and BL come with rock rails.
Sponsored