Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would agree with your synopsis...there's some low hanging fruit for sure even with 37s.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
What kind of "issues" did you have? Mine definitely drags the skids in spots, but that's what they are there for. I just had to get over the "new" factor and send it!

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What kind of "issues" did you have? Mine definitely drags the skids in spots, but that's what they are there for. I just had to get over the "new" factor and send it!
What happens is the skids or sliders will ride up on something and unload the suspension then I'm sitting there like a turtle on a post.

It would take 5" of lift and 40s to match the belly height of the EBs on 35s I was with.

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

So the Wildtrak really is the better truck than the Badlands, then. :p

Sponsored

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with the limited bottom clearance.. This is the main reason why I am keeping my '70 EB crawler. I was hoping I could build a crawler on the 6G platform, but my money and time is better spent on the EB for the big rocks.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Dick Do you have any photos from the weekend? Especially any of the obstacles giving you trouble.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Tricky Dick Do you have any photos from the weekend? Especially any of the obstacles giving you trouble.
These are screen caps so the quality isn't great but you get the idea. Had to be pulled off this log, and the rock pile is where I had to turn back.

665.jpg

6665.jpg

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s to bad you are experiencing difficulties. Can’t speak for the 2 doors but 4 door 6G can do very well on rocks. On the big granite rock trails of the Sierra's and Moab slick rock the hardest things is just use to the dragging the belly. Hopefully some more time in your new ride will get to feel more confident. Great looking 2 door by the way.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I went max lift on my second Bronco and full armor. I will say my Metalcloak ate up some clearance, but has been why I have slid over certain rocks. I would say the biggest draw back is ground clearance.

Getting denied on rocks like that you getting into a more trail oriented rig with a trailer.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rock crawling is more of a spectrum though, isn't it? You're coming to understand the limitations of your rig.
It is, but just comparing to other 35" class vehicles it's bad at it.

gmoney

Black Diamond
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4-DR Bronco - Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is one pile I did make it over after trying at least a dozen different lines.
Huh this doesn't look like it'd be much a problem at all. I'm a total novice when it comes to rock crawling, but we went over much bigger obstacles then this at the Bronco Off-Roadeo in Nevada

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)