Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OMG WTF seriously?! Is this KOH practice? Insane but shows how amazingly ingenuitive humans can be.
This is just fun recreational rock crawling. Very normal for what we do in the buggies. It is in Johnson Valley where KOH happens. Experience does play a large role in what one driver can get through compared to someone else. Folks who start out on smaller tires and no lockers and learn and work their way up can usually drive the wheels off of others who buy a lifted rig with lockers but have no experience.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agree....mostly. The technique is to keep the tires on the high spots. Same technique for any vehicle when going over rocks, or deep ruts. If there is a line that will keep tires on the high spots then even a Bronco can go over decent sized rocks. But, spin the tires and slide off the line/rocks then you can get hung up.

Even in the rock buggy with 40's the clearance under the diffs is usually about 12 inches, and we climb over huge rocks. It's all about the line that will keep the tires on the high spots.

20211120_105929.jpg
20211120_112259.jpg
That's great on dry sandpaper trails. Kind of tired of being "schooled" on how to wheel in that stuff, when I don't have anything like it in any way shape or form.

Try it on a combo of moss, dead logs, wet leaves, mud, snow, and slick rocks (and the rock constantly move around while you are on them, even the big one's) all at the same time. Let me know how your "pick a great line and you will be fine", works out then (spoiler alert, it doesn't).

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's great on dry sandpaper trails. Kind of tired of being "schooled" on how to wheel in that stuff, when I don't have anything like it in any way shape or form.

Try it on a combo of moss, dead logs, wet leaves, mud, snow, and slick rocks (and the rock constantly move around while you are on them, even the big one's) all at the same time. Let me know how your "pick a great line and you will be fine", works out then (spoiler alert, it doesn't).

No argument there. Glad I live and wheel in the west. :)

Really was just posting for others reading the thread, general info and a few fun pics.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought you guys call it rock bouncing?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not even really rock crawling but just general trail riding for the first time last month and I was rather disappointed with the ground clearance with my wife's black diamond.

I figured it would walk all over my very mild '85, I guess I just took for granted how much more ground clearance my old truck has.

We are taking the Bronco out next weekend so we will see if it grows on me. My 85 is staying home so it won't get a back to back comparison this time.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No argument there. Glad I live and wheel in the west. :)

Really was just posting for others reading the thread, general info and a few fun pics.
Wasn't aimed really directly at you. But what you see happen out there on those trails with a mostly stock 6G, is not happening on most days in eastern Pa, or even northern Jersey, (which most don't know, is same terrain like the "mountains" in Pa, and if you know the right people with private property, is some killer rock crawling IN New Jersey).

I thought you guys call it rock bouncing?
Down south they do, but those trails are more like mud hills.
By us, the harder trails get grown over by lack of use. A lot of times
they are hard to walk on with the moss, let alone wheel on.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not even really rock crawling but just general trail riding for the first time last month and I was rather disappointed with the ground clearance with my wife's black diamond.

I figured it would walk all over my very mild '85, I guess I just took for granted how much more ground clearance my old truck has.

We are taking the Bronco out next weekend so we will see if it grows on me. My 85 is staying home so it won't get a back to back comparison this time.
My 79, which does not wheel at all has 2" front springs, 1 inch rear block and 35 AT's, stock tires that came off a newer Raptor, so pretty much the same exact true height as the Saq 6G's.

Appendage heights as measured.

Rear leaf spring mount -18.5"
Front radius arm mount-14.5"
Transfer case-17.5" (no skid plate needed for cast iron 205).
Frame 21" (@ breakover)

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This thread has it all.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wasn't aimed really directly at you. But what you see happen out there on those trails with a mostly stock 6G, is not happening on most days in eastern Pa, or even northern Jersey, (which most don't know, is same terrain like the "mountains" in Pa, and if you know the right people with private property, is some killer rock crawling IN New Jersey).

Totally understand. I've raced Ultra4 at Rausch Creek. Back there is a different world than the dry desert and mountains we have in the west, and the slickrock of Moab and Sand Hollow.

Still love my new Bronco. It is kinda cool to see so many folks get a Bronco who haven't been exposed to much off road. It's good for the sport, and hopefully good for awareness of land use issues. It's a great way to experience the outdoors.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today at Uwharrie.
I have several videos but too large to attach.
had a blast and several new people challenged their comfort zone and tire size limits.
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 78A0DEDA-F6ED-4C39-B35B-1CB3D87151EB

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. FEC7A4B0-D717-4798-AE83-BA7871CB6C6F

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Swain

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Raptor with a 2 & 4 broncos on order
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some people are doing it already.

PXL_20211031_003558663.jpg
Enough of the bickering over if the 6G is a rock crawler or if Tricky can drive. But let’s hear more about the bronco in this picture. Is that a solid front axle I see?

Last edited:

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The thought process is similar, You still pick a line and follow the same approach, but as you stated, our east coast shit is wet and our rocks move. We also have small patches of dirt in between the big rocks to make it even more challenging. So we have to adapt on the fly way more often.
Mid to west coast has trails that are clearly marked with decades worth of black rubber. That shows you the path to take with the best chance of success. Our east coast trails can change weekend to weekend.

Another big difference between the 2 is what wheel base works better. I love my 2 door wrangler wheelbase and width for the East Coast, but there is a ton of stuff out west, that would make my width and length a big detriment. Longer is better for a lot of the ledge climbing.

For me, both scenarios are fun as hell.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.