Status
Not open for further replies.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And I don't even have that, that would just make it worse.
Is that 4 door only? That would be nice for me since I'd want a 2 door.
Sponsored

JohnG

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 dr Basesquatch, 2022 2 dr Base 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just picked up a 2 dr jk rubicon on 37’s for serious stuff, keeping my 4dr Sasquatch stock, light and lean for fast trail exploring. While there is quite a bit of capability overlap, they both excel at some things, and it’s good to be honest about their relative shortcomings.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watching 3 EBs on 35s go right over, then 15 Jeeps from another group, one that was on 33s, was very disheartening.

The transfer case skid was the worst offender, and the rockers were next. I was usually able to get a back tire up enough to clear the gas tank.
In the vid you posted the green EB got stuck. (so would anything close to stock...dunno what he was thinking) I had the opposite experience on my last trip...all the jeep guys were pretty impressed, but ya skids got scraped! I think you just had a bad day! Better line and a better spotter maybe. I do agree SFA is a big advantage, but new Bronco is more capable than I thought any IFS would be out of the box!

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the vid you posted the green EB got stuck. (so would anything close to stock...dunno what he was thinking) I had the opposite experience on my last trip...all the jeep guys were pretty impressed, but ya skids got scraped! I think you just had a bad day! Better line and a better spotter maybe
He did eventually get over though.

Is that 4 door only? That would be nice for me since I'd want a 2 door.
2.7 only

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These are screen caps so the quality isn't great but you get the idea. Had to be pulled off this log, and the rock pile is where I had to turn back.

665.jpg

6665.jpg
Wow when doing single boulders like that I can see the issues. Last weekend at Drummond island the k member or cross braces on the 2.7 is what got hung up. My skids have almost no marks. I’m regretting(a little) not going 5” on the lift. But the only time I turtles was in deep mud ruts.
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 9DC9E4F6-F592-4A0B-A630-4E87D42EACB6

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The axles were never once the problem and didn't hang up on anything, it was always breakover clearance. Solid axles would not fix the Bronco, it needs more belly height.
This is the #1 reason I went 37's, otherwise I would have stayed at 35's. I wanted to limit the constant dragging the belly & getting hung up on everything. Heck I think I have less ground clearance on 37's than my XJ had on 32's :confused:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dude, you just need a winch! Haven't you watched King of the Hammers?!? 🧐;)
The axles were never once the problem and didn't hang up on anything, it was always breakover clearance. Solid axles would not fix the Bronco, it needs more belly height.
Watching 3 EBs on 35s go right over, then 15 Jeeps from another group, one that was on 33s, was very disheartening.

The transfer case skid was the worst offender, and the rockers were next. I was usually able to get a back tire up enough to clear the gas tank.
"The only difference between men and boys are the size of their shoes and the price of their toys."

Seriously, though, it's all a matter of perspective. By your definition, none of the rigs that you were with that day would be considered "rockcrawlers" in Sledgehammer Canyon at King of the Hammers.

Working within the constraints of your vehicle, you could have easily conquered both of those obstacles with a winch.

FWIW, this is what highly-customized Ultra4 rigs do in Sledgehammer Canyon...

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice to see some EBs out there still!

I love my '21, but I agree the belly clearance is pathetic. In my EB I can pretty much put it in gear and take a nap. The 6G demands you pay attention.

This picture really shows the difference.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 946FEFFB-944A-4FE6-BE7A-209BA9293ED5

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice to see some EBs out there still!

I love my '21, but I agree the belly clearance is pathetic. In my EB I can pretty much put it in gear and take a nap. The 6G demands you pay attention.

This picture really shows the difference.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 946FEFFB-944A-4FE6-BE7A-209BA9293ED5
Excellent comparison. The tires, hood, roof are all about the same height, but the 6G has an extra foot of stuff hanging down low. This makes it fantastic onroad and offroad at high speed, but is a huge handicap going over boulders.

Climber

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does trail rating relate to capability? My limited experience shows trail difficulty 7 or more starts to challenge my base SAS 2,7 with RCI skids.

Sponsored

Climber

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That stuff OP shows looks like at least a 7. From my point of view, we did nothing near that challenging at Rodeo NV. Maybe they took us on the easy route?

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is why clean EBs cost a million bucks now, they’ve all been cut up, smashed up and beat to dust proving they can drag and smash themselves over stupid stuff. KOH looks like ADHD off-roading for hipsters. I can drive my Sasquatch equipped rig as fast as I want, 100+mph and even embarrass a few vehicles on the highway so it was engineered for pedestrian activity first with cool looks and nifty 4x4 gadgets second because they’re primarily smooth daily drivers which sells units, not rough rock hoppers, which just stoke egos and drain bank accounts.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So the Wildtrak really is the better truck than the Badlands, then. :p
Of course!!! If you didn't believe that, then you're delusional and probably in a 4 door... 🤣

Team Wildtrak 2 Door = Purpose Built and Badass😎

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah looking at those rocks gives me nightmares haha. I'll stick to dirt and some mud at an off road park lol

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is no way those hoods are at the same height.
And look at the wheel well gap, there is a huge difference in lift.

With that said, of course the more you lift/ alter the 6G the more you lose the ride quality, but thats the same with anything.

The bottom line is, you can lift it to get the clearance, ride on 35s/37s just like the others, and in the process make it more comparable, the problem I think, is that people are less inclined to give up the ride quality on a new vehicle that is as good as the 6G. Same Bronco, 5 -10 years later, more people will be willing to say screw it, I want a rock crawler, I don't care about the ride quality as much, and jack them up.

You can do it today nothing is stopping anyone from doing it except the mental hurdle of giving up something in exchange for something else. If the ride wasn't so good to begin with, you might not want to keep the Bronco closer to stock.

So the question is, is it the Bronco's limitation or yours

Of course this argument is ignoring the whole front axel thing, because that was not part of the discussion.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.