Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
Wait!!! You had troubles with your new tires? Did you air down?🤔

They should of walked all over those pebbles... Lol
Sponsored

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Of course!!! If you didn't believe that, then you're delusional and probably in a 4 door... 🤣

Team Wildtrak 2 Door = Purpose Built and Badass😎
Eh, still wish it had the washout floors. If it did, I would have been in a Wildtrak.

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

this is just just silly who would put those boulders there on all those rocks. People are trying to rock climb dang it.

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is no way those hoods are at the same height.
And look at the wheel well gap, there is a huge difference in lift.

With that said, of course the more you lift/ alter the 6G the more you lose the ride quality, but thats the same with anything.

The bottom line is, you can lift it to get the clearance, ride on 35s/37s just like the others, and in the process make it more comparable, the problem I think, is that people are less inclined to give up the ride quality on a new vehicle that is as good as the 6G. Same Bronco, 5 -10 years later, more people will be willing to say screw it, I want a rock crawler, I don't care about the ride quality as much, and jack them up.

You can do it today nothing is stopping anyone from doing it except the mental hurdle of giving up something in exchange for something else. If the ride wasn't so good to begin with, you might not want to keep the Bronco closer to stock.

So the question is, is it the Bronco's limitation or yours

Of course this argument is ignoring the whole front axel thing, because that was not part of the discussion.
Some people are doing it already.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. PXL_20211031_003558663

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Eh, still wish it had the washout floors. If it did, I would have been in a Wildtrak.
👍👍
The drains are there but so is the carpet. FYI... they are not one-way directional drains.

Sponsored

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're gonna stay with stock Sasquatch, you really need to rely on the best protection you can get your hands on underneath and on the rails. The ground clearance is the biggest issue, but overall still a very capable vehicle that can get through most trails with nothing but underside scrapes. Another inch or two of clearance height wouldn't suck.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That was my other point. Modify a 6G to that level and you've ruined what it is good at. Now you have the Broncbuster rig that gets trailered everywhere.

With that said, of course the more you lift/ alter the 6G the more you lose the ride quality, but thats the same with anything.

The bottom line is, you can lift it to get the clearance, ride on 35s/37s just like the others, and in the process make it more comparable, the problem I think, is that people are less inclined to give up the ride quality on a new vehicle that is as good as the 6G. Same Bronco, 5 -10 years later, more people will be willing to say screw it, I want a rock crawler, I don't care about the ride quality as much, and jack them up.

You can do it today nothing is stopping anyone from doing it except the mental hurdle of giving up something in exchange for something else. If the ride wasn't so good to begin with, you might not want to keep the Bronco closer to stock.

Of course this argument is ignoring the whole front axel thing, because that was not part of the discussion.
Well said, but I think it’s a misconception that you give up ride quality for lift. If you are willing to spend the cash you can have both. I have 5” lift and 37” it rides very similar to the stock Sasquatch package. I can rock crawl it and run high speed.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came from a 3" lifted 4Runner with 34s (32s from the factory) and my current one has 3" lift with 37s (35s sasquatch from the factory) and I think it's a huge improvement. The Bronco 4dr has less breakover angle than the 4Runner, but wayyyyy better approach and departure angle. If breakover angle is a huge concern, definitely get the 2dr. Loren Healy has taken his 4dr bronco on the Rubicon as well as others, so I think there's a lot to be said about driver ability and having good spotters. I don't expect mine to do the same shit as the Lite Brite stepchild Jeep, but then again, I don't have over $100k of mods in it either.

I think every vehicle has it's limitations and the more you modify it, the more it changes the characteristics it came with. Those early Broncos are probably not as friendly on the road as a 6th gen as well.

In other words, you can't have it all.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The trails you are on look like non stop Rock gardens, in those situations I would say the solid axle jeeps and buggies will dominate.

However , Ive seen Broncos do some pretty tough trails, like Rubicon, Sand hollow, and others in CA. Look at Lauren healy (yeah I know he is one of the best), video of him doing Rubicon in Funhaver, ( 2 inch lift and 37s) and Pritchet in stock Bronco on 35s. With a comparable build, and common sense, most could duplicate the results for the most part with time and experience.

Trail Malitia has some good videos of them doing some tough rocky trails as well. With IFS, using the gas pedal Sparingly is key.

The type of trail you are looking at plays a big part.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

You are assuming
A. That driveway is flat (it's going downhill to the right).
B. The overall body heights are the same.
C. The EB wheelwells aren't heavily cut out.

EB's might have one of the lowest total body heights of any "SUV" ever made.
There is literally NO rear seat footwell. The front seats were almost bolted to the floor, and even then you will probably hit your head on any bikini top if you are even 6'. You can't even fit the long runner 5.0 HO EFI manifold without cutting up hood or body lift.

EB's have their own issues. WB is great for breakover, but horrible for climbs/descents and they can endo much easier due to 92" WB. The stock radius arm frame brackets are boat anchors. The 9" is a great rear, but pinion placement is on the floor, making diff end of rear DS very vulnerable. Even a 20 gallon rear tank (stock rear tank was 12) drags on the ground.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are assuming
A. That driveway is flat (it's going downhill to the right).
B. The overall body heights are the same.
C. The EB wheelwells aren't heavily cut out.
I wasn't making any of those assumptions, but I will still argue that it has been lifted. Which is what the debate is all about.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is a great thread. I like the honest talk.

I'm heading to Utah this week for the Bronco Off-Rodeo event. Will learn all the cool shit I can do in my Bronco and probably find out about tons of cool mods to make it even better. Then I'll get home and do none of it. Maybe I'll get a rooftop tent and take it camping. :p

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.
False, absolutely false.

The B6G is a great rock crawler, it's just different. There have been a lot of circumstances where I've made an obstacle look easy where a Rubi (also on 35's) has struggled and there are a lot of obstacles I've struggled on that a Rubi makes look easy.

Those EBs have a much higher belly height so ya, you're gonna get hung up on boulders that they don't. That doesn't mean the B6G isn't a good rock crawler, that just means you need more lift. Those EBs aren't even close to stock, not even close.

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is one pile I did make it over after trying at least a dozen different lines.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. PXL_20211031_003558663
You actually made it over those rocks with a stock bronco?
I agree, if you want to crawl over bigger stuff you should build a special EB vehicle.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.