Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent comparison. The tires, hood, roof are all about the same height, but the 6G has an extra foot of stuff hanging down low. This makes it fantastic onroad and offroad at high speed, but is a huge handicap going over boulders.
It is an excellent comparison but you're looking at it wrong. Who cares where the hood is, you're not getting hung up on the hood.....

At the center of the belly, there really isn't anything that hangs below the bottom of the frame on both. So lets look at where that is (approximately where the red lines are). The frame rail on the B6G is a lot lower which means it doesn't have as much suspension lift.

That EB probably has 6" of suspension lift. Put 3" of suspension lift on that SAS Bronco and I bet they look a lot closer.

Edit: Now that's gonna mess with you center of gravity. Personally I like the fact that the B6G has a lower CG, helps with stability off camber. The drawback is lower belly clearance.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 1664826143292
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dude, you just need a winch! Haven't you watched King of the Hammers?!? 🧐;)
Lol, I thought I was one of the few that noticed that. It was a solid game plan but they ran the fast sections smooth and had planned winch locations on all major obstacles. Did not even try them first but honestly was very smart way to stay together and win. With how identical all drivers did it they must have seriously pre-ran and planned.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You actually made it over those rocks with a stock bronco?
I agree, if you want to crawl over bigger stuff you should build a special EB vehicle.
Stock except for tires and it took a long time to get the right line. The 4dr sasquatch with us wouldn't even attempt it. Then the Jeeps came along behind us and rolled though like it wasn't there - well except the YJ that broke a tie rod on it. At least it wasn't a 6G.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is an excellent comparison but you're looking at it wrong. Who cares where the hood is, you're not getting hung up on the hood.....

At the center of the belly, there really isn't anything that hangs below the bottom of the frame on both. So lets look at where that is (approximately where the red lines are). The frame rail on the B6G is a lot lower which means it doesn't have as much suspension lift.

That EB probably has 6" of suspension lift. Put 3" of suspension lift on that SAS Bronco and I bet they look a lot closer.

1664826143292.png
My EB has a 3.5" suspension and 2" body lift on 36's with some healthy fender cutting. Pretty run of the mill build required to clear 35-37" inch tires on a Bronco.

The comparison TrickyDick is making is about wheeling with other vehicles on similar size tires. The 6G faces significant clearance issues.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My EB has a 3.5" suspension and 2" body lift on 36's with some healthy fender cutting. Pretty run of the mill build required to clear 35-37" inch tires on a Bronco.

The comparison TrickyDick is making is about wheeling with other vehicles on similar size tires. The 6G faces significant clearance issues.
My point is a suspension lift fixes what he's complaining about. The fact that you can put 35s on a B6G without putting as much lift is a BENEFIT, not a negative. It keeps the CG down.

If you wanna go over boulders and not get hung up on your belly: LIFT THE SUSPENSION so the bottom of the frame rail is higher. It's simple, that's it, that's the answer.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right. If you enter a competition they class you by tire size. A Bronco on 35s is going to be at a disadvantage to everything else on 35s that had to be lifted to put them on.

brianbrn

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
Is there a true rock crawler right off the dealership lot?

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Edit: Now that's gonna mess with you center of gravity. Personally I like the fact that the B6G has a lower CG, helps with stability off camber. The drawback is lower belly clearance.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. DA885A0D-0A50-4173-9571-FA7FC605F063
Lifting it by relocating the front diff and control arms lower could help but you also run into the IFS not flexing as much and adding a high CG when it already is tippy going down ledges is not a smart way to do it.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right. If you enter a competition they class you by tire size. A Bronco on 35s is going to be at a disadvantage to everything else on 35s that had to be lifted to put them on.
The B6G has a lower center of gravity by design, this is a feature, it helps with stability at speed.

Lift the suspension and you get your greater belly height for boulders. Zero of those Jeeps were stock, the EB's certainly weren't. I don't understand why this is so difficult a conclusion to come up with.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lifting it by relocating the front diff and control arms lower could help but you also run into the IFS not flexing as much and adding a high CG when it already is tippy going down ledges is not a smart way to do it.
There are drawback and there are benefits. The main compliant here is the belly clearance, which is very easily fixed. I would also pair that with some wheel spacers to get a little more width to offset some of that loss in CG.

Last edited:

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh this doesn't look like it'd be much a problem at all. I'm a total novice when it comes to rock crawling, but we went over much bigger obstacles then this at the Bronco Off-Roadeo in Nevada
I’m not disregarding your experience because I know they change routes from time to time, so take this for what it’s worth. My experience at the Nevada off-roadeo course was primarily down hill through the “rough” stuff. They strategically avoided going up anything challenging. To be clear, I'm in no way dogging the event as I thought is was well worth going to and really enjoyed it. However, they had to carefully plan a route that was conducive to many newcomers to off-roading and I feel like they did a great job accomplishing that…the end result just so happened to be a course tailor made to show the strengths of our broncos and kind of avoided the weaknesses.

Last edited:

Rupertlr

Base
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj80
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agree with trickydick. That’s an fj80 with 3” lift on 31s before it got 35s. Not even close.

06CE95FF-CD44-4195-AC4F-EDA3EE4484B6.jpeg

DE97573F-3A49-425D-A355-A162364B96A7.jpeg

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The B6G has a lower center of gravity by design, this is a feature, it helps with stability at speed.

Lift the suspension and you get your greater belly height for boulders. Zero of those Jeeps were stock, the EB's certainly weren't. I don't understand why this is so difficult a conclusion to come up with.
It's not a difficult conclusion, you're just stuck on your point of view.

The fact is 6Gs have less ground clearance than anything else on 35s you're likely to encounter on the trail and increasing that ground clearance will worsen it's other positive attributes.

A stock TJ on 33s blew through that area.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.