Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In before 604 tells Dick he should have got a moar door . . .
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My experience is with non lifted early and Bronco IIs, but you're right, even to match these I'm doing a mild lift and a bit of tire. Axles can be dealt with by picking a line but midships hangy down things are the issue (I'm talking to you fuel tank).

SlowPoke

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rock crawling is more of a spectrum though, isn't it? You're coming to understand the limitations of your rig.
Agreed. you can still have fun on smaller rocks. Its all about pushing the limits of the rig. There is ALWAYS a bigger, and more capable rig than yours. Not everyone is built for Ultra 4. The Bronco makes a great overlander!

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not disregarding your experience because I know they change routes from time to time, so take this for what it’s worth. My experience at the Nevada off-roadeo course was primarily down hill through the “rough” stuff. They strategically avoided going up anything challenging. To be clear, I'm in no way dogging the event as I thought is was well worth going to and really enjoyed it. However, they had to carefully plan a route that was conducive to many newcomers to off-roading and I feel like they did a great job accomplishing that…the end result just so happened to be a course tailor made to show the strengths of our broncos and kind of avoided the weaknesses.
That’s exactly the experience I had.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In before 604 tells Dick he should have got a moar door . . .
Most of the day a moar door would have had it even worse. The 4dr Sasquatch with us with 2" spacer lift got stuck everywhere I did or wouldn't attempt it.

It was silly of Ford to market the Bronco as a "rock crawler". Rock Crawl mode, c'mon lolz.

But don't get me wrong, I love the 6G for what it is.
I agree, it's incredible for what it is and it's an easy 4x4 to live with in day to day life, it does fantastic down rutted trails and on the dunes, but it's a terrible platform for rocks.

So let's just say you put a lift and 40s on to keep up with those EBs and Jeeps on 35s, now those guys decide to get 40s too and again you're turning around early while they continue to play.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of the day a moar door would have had it even worse. The 4dr Sasquatch with us with 2" spacer lift got stuck everywhere I did or wouldn't attempt it.

I agree, it's incredible for what it is and it's an easy 4x4 to live with in day to day life, it does fantastic down rutted trails and on the dunes, but it's a terrible platform for rocks.

So let's just say you put a lift and 40s on to keep up with those EBs and Jeeps on 35s, now those guys decide to get 40s too and again you're turning around early while they continue to play.
It's called "shrinking tire syndrome" It happens to all of us, jeepers included.

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not a difficult conclusion, you're just stuck on your point of view.

The fact is 6Gs have less ground clearance than anything else on 35s you're likely to encounter on the trail and increasing that ground clearance will worsen it's other positive attributes.

A stock TJ on 33s blew through that area.
Wrangler Rubicons with the Xtreme Recon package (factory 35s) are really the only in-segment competition to compare to. Anything else is not a valid comparison.

That said, stated ground clearance on that package is 12.9". Bronco needs to step it up.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

The belly clearance is also a problem in deep snow. Have shovel will travel.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That said, stated ground clearance on that package is 12.9".
That's pretty decent and about what I measure at the gas tank skid.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
This is just a play on semantics, who gets to define what a legit "rock crawler" is?

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not a difficult conclusion, you're just stuck on your point of view.

The fact is 6Gs have less ground clearance than anything else on 35s you're likely to encounter on the trail and increasing that ground clearance will worsen it's other positive attributes.

A stock TJ on 33s blew through that area.
To say a stock Bronco isn't as good rock crawling as a stock Jeep is stating the obvious.

It's just poor expectations to think your STOCK B6G would be able to do what a heavily modified EB is doing (even on the same size tires).

Your proclamation that the B6G isn't a good rock crawler is flat ridiculous (and wrong) given you've done nothing to make it better at rock crawling and you're trying to climb over 3 ft boulders...

Let me put it this way, you put the same 35" tires on a Wrangler Sport and Badlands SAS (both farily stock otherwise, other than a lift for the Jeep) and there are going to be 30 trails out of 100 that the Bronco can do and the Sport can't and 10 trails the Sport can do that the Bronco can't. You do the same with the Badlands SAS and a Rubicon, it's 20 trails the Rubicon can do that the Bronco can't and 5 trails the Bronco can do that the Rubicon can't.

It's not all about what size of a tire you have.

Last weekend I was out at the rock park doing stuff guys in my club with JKs on 37s wouldn't even try because I had lockers and they didn't.

Last edited:

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

I'm not a rock crawler and could care less, but there is plenty of video of Broncos doing some amazing stuff in the rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.