The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a general rule, I find it it best to wheel with your own kind ;). You take similar lines, gain vehicle knowledge collectively & might just have the trail spare you need to limp home. Plus I find it more enjoyable to be part of the same group in the same style vehicles.
That's just me :cool:
Sponsored

tomdaniel

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just B&Ped that similarly equipped Wrangler Rubicon at about $18k more than I paid for my Squatched Badlands. No thanks. That $18k can go into mods.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your proclamation that the B6G isn't a good rock crawler is flat ridiculous (and wrong) given you've done nothing to make it better at rock crawling and you're trying to climb over 3 ft boulders...
The Bronco will be the worst crawler in every tire class whether it's on 31s, 35s, or 40s. That is bad even if you refuse to admit it. So go ahead and feel good that a lifted 6G on 40s can keep up with your friends with lightly built Jeeps. I hope that's enough for you when the Jeeps and EBs on 40s are out doing the fun trails and not inviting you.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As someone who ended up passing on the Bronco because it became apparent it would not do what I want to do with my 4x4, this thread is hilarious. Go hunt back to all the, wHy D03sN't Th3 Br0nc0 h@Ve SfA threads from 2020 and the points haven't changed. The Bronco will do 80-90% of what a Wrangler or other SFA vehicle will do and also be more fun at higher speed and on pavement. If you want to play in the last 10-20%, you'll need to dump money into a vehicle architecture that wasn't designed for it or you'll need to go buy that aforementioned Wrangler/SFA vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who ended up passing on the Bronco because it became apparent it would not do what I want to do with my 4x4, this thread is hilarious. Go hunt back to all the, wHy D03sN't Th3 Br0nc0 h@Ve SfA threads from 2020 and the points haven't changed. The Bronco will do 80-90% of what a Wrangler or other SFA vehicle will do and also be more fun at higher speed and on pavement. If you want to play in the last 10-20%, you'll need to dump money into a vehicle architecture that wasn't designed for it or you'll need to go buy that aforementioned Wrangler/SFA vehicle.
Exactly what I'm trying to get at here. Great at what it is stock, a poor choice to build for that last 10-20%.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco will be the worst crawler in every tire class whether it's on 31s, 35s, or 40s. That is bad even if you refuse to admit it. So go ahead and feel good that a lifted 6G on 40s can keep up with your friends with lightly built Jeeps. I hope that's enough for you when the Jeeps and EBs on 40s are out doing the fun trails and not inviting you.
You don't know what you're talking about and that statement absolutely shows it.

First: ANY Jeep with 35s or 40s is lifted, so not just slight modifications.

Second: A Jeep on 37s and a Bronco on 37s require about the same amount of modifications (you're gonna upgrade the steering linkage on a Jeep with 37s so you don't bend it running it into rocks), same with an EB. I assure you a Bronco on 37s can keep up with a Jeep on 37s in about 95% of cases.

Third: A Bronco with 35s and lockers will ABSOLUTELY out crawl a Jeep with 35s without lockers. If both have 35s and both have lockes then of course the Jeep will out crawl the Bronco (that's no secret) but not by as much as eveyone thinks.

Fourth: Beyond 37's and you're getting out of dual purpose rig territory and should just get a tube buggy or something else highly customized (you needed 3/4 or 1 ton axles, roll cage,...).

Sounds like you shoulda just bought a Jeep if you think the Bronco is so worthless.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly what I'm trying to get at here. Great at what it is stock, a poor choice to build for that last 10-20%.
I'm just going to go ahead and say it (nicely):

If you expected a Bronco to do 100% of what a Jeep does then you aren't very smart.

If you expected a Bronco to be buildable to do the hardest 15% of trails then you aren't very smart.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You don't know what you're talking about and that statement absolutely shows it.

Second: A Jeep on 37s and a Bronco on 37s require about the same amount of modifications (you're gonna upgrade the steering linkage on a Jeep with 37s so you don't bend it running it into rocks), same with an EB. I assure you a Bronco on 37s can keep up with a Jeep on 37s in about 95% of cases.

Third: A Bronco with 35s and lockers will ABSOLUTELY out crawl a Jeep with 35s without lockers. If both have 35s and both have lockes then of course the Jeep will out crawl the Bronco (that's no secret) but not by as much as eveyone thinks.

Fourth: Beyond 37's and you're getting out of dual purpose rig territory and should just get a tube buggy or something else highly customized (you needed 3/4 or 1 ton axles, roll cage,...).

Sounds like you shoulda just bought a Jeep if you think the Bronco is so worthless.
You seem to be taking this thread awfully personally, and I honestly couldn't care less, but I feel the need to correct you on a couple of these points.

Points 1 and 2: a JLR can run and wheel on 35s with absolutely no other modifications. The same can be achieved for 37s with a 2" lift. That's a large difference from the work that seems to be required to do so reliably on the Bronco.

Point 3: You've just essentially agreed with the point @Tricky Dick is making.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're moving the goal posts but go off.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

TrickyDick is one of the few people out there running some gnarly trails. After several trips, he's sharing his experience, not claiming he was misled. It's obvious he like the other experienced four wheelers knew exactly what he was getting into. I personally appreciate his honest feedback.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TrickyDick is one of the few people out there running some gnarly trails. After several trips, he's sharing his experience, not claiming he was misled. It's obvious he like the other experienced four wheelers knew exactly what he was getting into. I personally appreciate his honest feedback.
I don't care who you are, saying "the Bronco really isn't a rock crawler" is ridiculous. I rock crawl the hell out of mine, there are a ton of people that do.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just my experience with the 2 door, a lift is definitely required to get the center and gas tank up out of the way, regardless of tire size. Look how low the tank is on a stock vehicle. Almost even with the bottom of the pumpkin. Choice in skids is pretty important too, as many of the transmission skids actually lose ground clearance and decrease breakover angle. Even on mild trails the stock 2 doors are dragging like crazy.

I have no desire to make a true rock crawler out of mine, but getting all that crap dragging on mild trails out of the way was a priority. It's all pro/con. To get my gas tank off the ground, I've had to raise my CG, which I don't like. I do like not getting hung up on logs though.

I currently have 14 inches of clearance at the gas tank mid Bronco. I'd hate to see what that was on my stock Black Diamond when I brought it home.

Last edited:

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love this thread.

Haven't seen this level of Ford apologist since the "waxed top."

Keep it up @Tricky Dick . People actually pushing it and reporting back is what this forum is really about.

Looks like trash talk coming from flat staters. If anybody can do it better, please post videos.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.