First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My lifted jeep on 35s couldn't do it either... nor could the even taller jeep on 37s. nor could the even taller jeep yet on 38s...
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. PXL_20220607_162345111

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. PXL_20220607_164827212

some times you just gotta go around.
Sponsored

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did Ford really need to make this boat anchor X-member in their premier offroader (see 5:03)

Dang. 21 minutes into this thing to find out they were body mounted. Hard pass.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are definitely limitations with IFS in rock crawling. I don’t see many stock Jeeps doing it either. You have to set it up for what you want to do.
Mine did Crawl daddy at Rousch creek and two trips to windrock just fine as a stock Badsquatch. A But we will be going up from here.

These are the type trails I've been waiting to see a new bronc do. Any vid?

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is new here, that's what most reviews say. The thing is, and as generally reported in almost every review, is the Jeep is better at rock crawling, but the Bronco is better than or equal to the Jeep in EVERYTHING else. For most people, EVERYTHING else is 99% of their use. I'll take the Bronco. I don't live anywhere near rock crawling trails anyway. Many don't.

Sponsored

NatureBoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

At what point does it switch from being rock crawling to boulder crawling?
Damn, those are some big 'ol rocks!

Yeah, I wouldn't be trying to tackle those, and I love going out crawling/climbing.
Hope you still had fun.
This right here.

LAB0035

Badlands
First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We all know this but some of us may be more stubborn and unwilling to fully admit it.

I went out again last weekend and tried to hammer a square peg in a round hole again and it just isn't working. It's not the IFS that's the problem, is the ground clearance. Everybody else on that trail with similar size tires had no issues because they had far more belly height.

Any mods done to overcome this shortcoming will take away what makes the Bronco so good at everything else. I'm done trying, I'm leaving it stockish from here out and going to build a toy for the rocks.
Rock crawling is a skill. if you know what you are doing you can crawl a 1975 ford LTD wagon. The Bronco, Jeep , Land rover , Land cruiser can all rock to an extent. when you add the proper aftermarket components you can choose a more difficult line. when you add offroad parts to any of these vehicles you take away from its mall crawlability . i suggest you stick to the mall or jump a few curbs and drive around your yard maybe go to a state park and park in the grass

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rock crawling is a skill. if you know what you are doing you can crawl a 1975 ford LTD wagon. The Bronco, Jeep , Land rover , Land cruiser can all rock to an extent. when you add the proper aftermarket components you can choose a more difficult line. when you add offroad parts to any of these vehicles you take away from its mall crawlability . i suggest you stick to the mall or jump a few curbs and drive around your yard maybe go to a state park and park in the grass
Great suggestion, thanks.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The 6G is more of a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Well mannered, easy going, and tough when it needs to be, it's still one of the best off road rigs straight out of the box, but the real prize with the Bronco release is that it's stirring up the competition, which means it's pretty good.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 6G is more of a jack of all trades, but a master of none. Well mannered, easy going, and tough when it needs to be, it's still one of the best off road rigs straight out of the box, but the real prize with the Bronco release is that it's stirring up the competition, which means it's pretty good.
My hope is Toyota brings back the FJ like they should have in the first place with a removable top. If I could get a new FJ when my Bronco is around 5 years old and ready for serious modifications, it would be ideal.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great suggestion, thanks.
I've driven my old Honda Fit up mount Everest on slicks. You need to step up your game.

In all seriousness when I think of rock crawling I don't usually imagine driving over child sized rocks in a boulder field
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. tacos-de

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are rocks that cannot be "crawled" by anything on wheels.! So the size of the rock is the 6G's limitation.! Choose wisely. 😁

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't understand all the hate, aside from the slightly inflammatory title. 😆 If I've condensed the argument fairly....

The Bronco is great at almost everything, but the OP was bummed to find one weakness in the geometry where similarly equipped vehicles could pass particularly tall/narrow obstacles while he couldn't.

Thankfully (for me) most of my real-world (necessary) offroading doesn't require climbing over rocks the size of chairs with zero inclines on the approach or departure; and this problem will hopefully be limited to people who want to play on trails designed to be challenging, and not situations where they must get somewhere urgently.

This is so false I want to believe it is a joke, but you are also so rude to the OP that I can't believe it is. 🤔

If being dragged across obstacles that are more difficult than low clearances can handle is considered "crawling", then an old fridge with a winch could be considered one of the most economical and capable crawlers on the market.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don't understand all the hate, aside from the slightly inflammatory title. 😆 If I've condensed the argument fairly....

The Bronco is great at almost everything, but the OP was bummed to find one weakness in the geometry where similarly equipped vehicles could pass particularly tall/narrow obstacles while he couldn't
This is false.
And that's why I have a hard time with this thread.
The vehicles were Absolutely Not similarly equipped. Having the same size tire does not in anyway put you on the same playing field.

And it's this basic oversight that is frustrating the OP.

If you say you have a 1970 Bronco on 35s or 37s it implies you lifted it, because that's how you accomplished this.
When someone says I put 37s on my Jeep, the assumption is there that they also did a lift. So running trails is usually qualified by tire size for ease of use, but in reality it is also about clearance.

Now if you buy a 6G Bronco with Sasquach, guess what ? It comes with 35s (ish) because Ford designed it that way. So you don't have to have the 3 inch body lift and the 4 inch suspension lift that those others were modified to.

Tricky thinks that because you have a certain size tire it should also imply a certain degree of body clearance because there was an assumed lift, but Ford changed the game, which is actually a very cool thing; to accommodate 35s without the lift.

You have to roll with it and understand the complete picture.

And again, at least from my argument, and the reason Tricky created this post , he was complaining about clearance and clearance only for saying the Bronco can't crawl.

This has nothing to do with solid axel vs IFS. That's another debate.

So based on clearance alone, his conclusion is faulty, kind of like taking a bucket of water from the ocean, seeing no fish in the bucket and concluding that there are no fish in the ocean.

Status
Not open for further replies.