Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. I won't wheel my Bronco as hard as I did my XJ, but I will enjoy it more. For me it's more about getting out there and enjoying the outdoors than it ever was about conquering the biggest obstacles. I'll probably end up being more of a bypass Bob on the optionals, but when it comes down to it, I won't shy away from using the truck if that is what the trail calls for. :cool:

Agree. I'll still stick the nose of the Bronco into what the Jeeps do, just very carefully. :)

In this pick the Bronco had 200 miles on it.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 298509718_10218603031021877_7416675032320864372_n
Sponsored

Cypher

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So 35’s with no modifications is not an accurate statement
33’s it is
thats not accurate. I have had 4 JLURs. All ran 35s. 3 were no lift. my recent is a 2021 diesel, running 35s on Mopar beadlocks. Can wheel and fully flex and turn with zero rubbing.

with that said, the diesel is different and has longer jounce tubes so will never rub. my 2019 v6 did rub at full stuff turning a little. different wheels would have solved that.

I 100% agree that a Bronco is not a "rock crawler", but it can do some rock crawling. it just wont be apples to apples with a Wrangler. but its not a 1:1 comparison anyways. A Bronco would do 95% of what I need offroad, and be better on road. so I take that as a win. I am passed trying to build a hard core rock crawler as a daily driver anyways. I think a Bronco is a great fit for most, but its not equal to a wrangler on the super hard trails. yes it can be built to keep up, but put the same into a wrangler and get even more out of it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree. I'll still stick the nose of the Bronco into what the Jeeps do, just very carefully. :)

In this pick the Bronco had 200 miles on it.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 298509718_10218603031021877_7416675032320864372_n
The funny thing about that picture is most people might think wow that 's crazy, when being on 3 wheels is the norm with these vehicles. There is a lot to get use to for sure :cool:

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

....and then there is common sense or the lack there of. Never go into water if you're not sure how deep and never try to go over something that is obviously higher than your ground clearance. I read a lot of these "issues" "not a this or that" posts and 99% of them involve lack of common sense and/or lack of experience.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

never try to go over something that is obviously higher than your ground clearance.
You don't need a 4x4 to stick with this line of thinking.
Crawling over things taller than your ground clearance is what brings the challenge to Rock Crawling.

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.09.42 AM
After riding in a RZR Pro a couple times this summer, it's on my ponder list for next spring. They are about $40k but damn they are fun.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 9.07.18 AM

Scout3

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bronco runs better in the sand, jeep runs better over rock.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Tricky Dick's observation is right! My 2 door Black Diamond with 2 inches of lift and 33s simply cannot go where my previous 98 XJ with 3 " of lift and 31s could go (rock crawling), and it had open diffs (no lockers). I know this because I drove that XJ over hundreds of miles of trails in and around Moab--same driver, same skills, darn near same wheelbase. As others have pointed out, the belly clearance makes a big difference. I'd have to lift the Bronco at least 4 more inches to get even close.

Not sure why that (stating that the B6G is not a great platform for building a rockcrawler) gets so many people's undies in a bunch. It's still a fantastically fun and very capable 4x4--I love mine. I just accept (because I'm not interested in spending $10K+ on my Bronco) that when we want to drive trails with big rocks and/or ledges, we'll take the XJs. Otherwise, I'm leaving the XJs well behind in my dust.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tricky Dick's observation is right! My 2 door Black Diamond with 2 inches of lift and 33s simply cannot go where my previous 98 XJ with 3 " of lift and 31s could go (rock crawling), and it had open diffs (no lockers). I know this because I've drove that XJ over hundreds of miles of trails in and around Moab--same driver, same skills, darn near same wheelbase. As others have pointed out, the belly clearance makes a big difference. I'd have to lift the Bronco at least 4 more inches to get even close.

Not sure why that (stating that the B6G is not a great platform for building a rockcrawler) gets so many people's undies in a bunch. It's still a fantastically fun and very capable 4x4--I love mine. I just accept (because I'm not interested in spending $10K+ on my Bronco) that when we want to drive trails with big rocks and/or ledges, we'll take the XJs. Otherwise, I'm leaving the XJs well behind in my dust.
I think you understand my position perfectly. Clearly some people are making it work as evidenced by some of the pics posted here, but I'm choosing to keep the rocks mild and focus on trail riding and dunes and still being able to take it to work on Monday.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Apparently a 42 GPW isn't either.
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. img_1_1665178019152

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....and then there is common sense or the lack there of. Never go into water if you're not sure how deep and never try to go over something that is obviously higher than your ground clearance. I read a lot of these "issues" "not a this or that" posts and 99% of them involve lack of common sense and/or lack of experience.

Agree....mostly. The technique is to keep the tires on the high spots. Same technique for any vehicle when going over rocks, or deep ruts. If there is a line that will keep tires on the high spots then even a Bronco can go over decent sized rocks. But, spin the tires and slide off the line/rocks then you can get hung up.

Even in the rock buggy with 40's the clearance under the diffs is usually about 12 inches, and we climb over huge rocks. It's all about the line that will keep the tires on the high spots.

Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 20211120_105929
Ford Bronco The 6G really isn't a rockcrawler. 20211120_112259

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronco runs better in the sand, jeep runs better over rock.
Sounds like an off-road version of rock, paper, scissors... This is where @Tricky Dick jumps in to say his Zuk beats paper...

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The funny thing about that picture is most people might think wow that 's crazy, when being on 3 wheels is the norm with these vehicles. There is a lot to get use to for sure :cool:
3 wheels is fine, 2 is where it gets scary haha.

I remember when I got mine on two though.... that was scary as hell for someone who has never done it before haha. We were on the driver's front and passenger rear only

UtahLars

First Edition
First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Bronco First Edition. ‘21 Audi RS6 Avan
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I find this odd. Way before the new Bronco, rock crawl people knew there was a difference between what you could do in a Jeep Wrangler, even heavily modded, and something like a Razr or a Polaris. And never the twain shall meet. You knew some trails were only for the purpose-built specialty vehicles. It's no different with the Bronco, and the Bronco (stock) is for sure a bit more capable than the Wrangler. But nobody ever thought it was going to compete with a specialty trail vehicle, did they? I sure didn't.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.