Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do enjoy articles like this... But it's important to note that advertising money is almost ALWAYS influencing the outcome from media sources like this.

I sell tires as a consultant for a medium volume offroad shop. I do tires on over 100 Jeep, Bronco and trucks every year. So it's just my opinion, but I do get to see what brands have balancing issues, out of round tires and need warranty replacements more than most people.

But it's still just my opinion... I'm going to give them "some" credit as the list is not far from mine.

They put the Ridge Grappler as best "on road" A/T. I disagree, it's the best off road A/T. But it's the absolute worst A/T in the rain. Wet weather traction is well below all of the other tires on their list.

They have the Toyo ATIII as the best all around A/T. I would list it 3rd... It does most things well, but not as good as some others in most categories.

The Falken AT3W is listed as best winter A/T. For me, this is the best all around A/T. It does everything in the top 2 of all the tires listed. Best winter, second best on road, second best off road, etc. Literally no weakness.

BFG KO2 as all around runner up... Good all around tire and yes, my runner up to the Falken. My biggest complaint is they run smaller than the other tires in like size comparisons. But they are good in winter, good on road and good offroad. Just not the top in any of the categories.

Then they have the LTX... Yes, it's the best on road, but it's an M/S tire and not to be confused with a true A/T.

They don't include my favorite "on road" A/T and that is the Cooper AT3 4S. It's the best on road A/T and doesn't give up too much off road. And it's also good in Winter. It doesn't look very aggressive, but it's a good tire.

The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T is becoming more popular by the day and I think it's a good tire in all categories, but I find they ride a little firmer than the Falken or BFG, so not my favorite.

Just my opinion as someone that does a lot of tires... For what it's worth, In my Jeep club, I have the nickname "tire slut"....

Enjoy!!!!
What's your take on the Milestars?

Edit: I guess I'm pulling you out of the A/T thoughts and into M/T.
Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any thoughts on the Recon Grappler. My bronco is on road a decent amount but I also take it to the dunes and maybe some light trails. Seems like the on road ride would be better than some others but not sure if adequate for other stuff.
The Recon Grappler is not a bad tire... But almost all of the sizes are LR-E and I do my best to talk people out of LR-E for a Jeep or Bronco. Good for a truck, but not so great for a medium weight SUV.

That said, they just released a 116T in 315/70R17 that is technically an SL tire that I would try, just haven't at this point. It should air down nice and Nitto has pretty tough sidewalls normally. If you like it, try it... Just avoid the LR-E versions.

https://simpletire.com/brands/nitto...5-70r17&userRegion=99&userZip=85298&zip=85298

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What's your take on the Milestars?

Edit: I guess I'm pulling you out of the A/T thoughts and into M/T.
ROFL... OK, so I run Milestars on all of my offroaders. I have had excellent results with them. But it is the one tire I tell everyone that I cannot guarantee your results. I've seen them dead at 18,000 miles. My 4dr JKU has 30,000 and I'm still at 9/32's.

This picture is the JKU at 25,000 miles... Perfect wear, zero feathering. Although the last time out, I tore 2 large lugs off of one of the tires and it's now a dedicated spare. Been on them almost 4 years now.

Ford Bronco The Best Truck Tires, According to Experts (September 2023 review by C&D / RealTruck) tire wear

This video is my LJ Rubicon with about 5k on the tires, still look new. I was the only person to do this obstacle this day, even the fully built 4dr on 38's said no. The guy spotting me is the one whose 37's were dead in 18,000 miles on his JKU.

Enjoy!

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roast me if you want but I've really liked the Kanati Mud Hogs.

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ROFL... OK, so I run Milestars on all of my offroaders. I have had excellent results with them. But it is the one tire I tell everyone that I cannot guarantee your results. I've seen them dead at 18,000 miles. My 4dr JKU has 30,000 and I'm still at 9/32's.

This picture is the JKU at 25,000 miles... Perfect wear, zero feathering. Although the last time out, I tore 2 large lugs off of one of the tires and it's now a dedicated spare. Been on them almost 4 years now.

Ford Bronco The Best Truck Tires, According to Experts (September 2023 review by C&D / RealTruck) tire wear

This video is my LJ Rubicon with about 5k on the tires, still look new. I was the only person to do this obstacle this day, even the fully built 4dr on 38's said no. The guy spotting me is the one whose 37's were dead in 18,000 miles on his JKU.

Enjoy!
Well hot damn. Guess I'll be buying some milestars when it's time.

Sponsored

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Recon Grappler is not a bad tire... But almost all of the sizes are LR-E and I do my best to talk people out of LR-E for a Jeep or Bronco. Good for a truck, but not so great for a medium weight SUV.

That said, they just released a 116T in 315/70R17 that is technically an SL tire that I would try, just haven't at this point. It should air down nice and Nitto has pretty tough sidewalls normally. If you like it, try it... Just avoid the LR-E versions.

https://simpletire.com/brands/nitto...5-70r17&userRegion=99&userZip=85298&zip=85298
Thanks, I don’t fully understand all the categories and whatnot but does this fall into a better one or still suspect. With 17” wheels my option was LR-E but this was different.

IMG_6937.png

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well hot damn. Guess I'll be buying some milestars when it's time.
Both of mine are the MT01 and now they are shipping the MT02. It's an updated tire and they did some things to try to balance out the wear patterns. Some people just get really horrible wear out of them. I do rotate every 5k without fail and run at 33psi on the road. Some guys get better wear when they run higher, like 37psi. On a Bronco that would be my strategy.

Make no mistake, it's a tire you either love or hate, there is no middle ground. :ROFLMAO:

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, I don’t fully understand all the categories and whatnot but does this fall into a better one or still suspect. With 17” wheels my option was LR-E but this was different.

Ford Bronco The Best Truck Tires, According to Experts (September 2023 review by C&D / RealTruck) IMG_6937
LR-D is not as bad as LR-E or LR-F. But it's got 2 more ply's than the LR-C (Squatch) or SL rated (non Squatch) tires. I'm pretty sensitive and on a 2dr, I'm pretty sure I would feel it. Are you on aftermarket 18" wheels? Or are you just replacing 18" OBX factory tires? Any "bigger" tire is going to be a heavier LR and ride a little firmer than the factory OBX tires.

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

LR-D is not as bad as LR-E or LR-F. But it's got 2 more ply's than the LR-C (Squatch) or SL rated (non Squatch) tires. I'm pretty sensitive and on a 2dr, I'm pretty sure I would feel it. Are you on aftermarket 18" wheels? Or are you just replacing 18" OBX factory tires? Any "bigger" tire is going to be a heavier LR and ride a little firmer than the factory OBX tires.
I’m currently in a 4 door Wildtrak stock Sasquatch rims/tires. Was considering hanging on to them in case I wanted to swap out for a mud terrain (brother is a mechanic and has a lift so wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to swap) but wanting to maybe go up to an 18 in KMC wheel.

Russ.Cere

Wildtrak
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modcrate.myshopify.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I do enjoy articles like this... But it's important to note that advertising money is almost ALWAYS influencing the outcome from media sources like this.

I sell tires as a consultant for a medium volume offroad shop. I do tires on over 100 Jeep, Bronco and trucks every year. So it's just my opinion, but I do get to see what brands have balancing issues, out of round tires and need warranty replacements more than most people.

But it's still just my opinion... I'm going to give them "some" credit as the list is not far from mine.

They put the Ridge Grappler as best "on road" A/T. I disagree, it's the best off road A/T. But it's the absolute worst A/T in the rain. Wet weather traction is well below all of the other tires on their list.

They have the Toyo ATIII as the best all around A/T. I would list it 3rd... It does most things well, but not as good as some others in most categories.

The Falken AT3W is listed as best winter A/T. For me, this is the best all around A/T. It does everything in the top 2 of all the tires listed. Best winter, second best on road, second best off road, etc. Literally no weakness.

BFG KO2 as all around runner up... Good all around tire and yes, my runner up to the Falken. My biggest complaint is they run smaller than the other tires in like size comparisons. But they are good in winter, good on road and good offroad. Just not the top in any of the categories.

Then they have the LTX... Yes, it's the best on road, but it's an M/S tire and not to be confused with a true A/T.

They don't include my favorite "on road" A/T and that is the Cooper AT3 4S. It's the best on road A/T and doesn't give up too much off road. And it's also good in Winter. It doesn't look very aggressive, but it's a good tire.

The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T is becoming more popular by the day and I think it's a good tire in all categories, but I find they ride a little firmer than the Falken or BFG, so not my favorite.

Just my opinion as someone that does a lot of tires... For what it's worth, In my Jeep club, I have the nickname "tire slut"....

Enjoy!!!!
If you ever place an order with me I am going to have to change your customer tag to more accurately reflect your status as a professional tire connoisseur.

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m currently in a 4 door Wildtrak stock Sasquatch rims/tires. Was considering hanging on to them in case I wanted to swap out for a mud terrain (brother is a mechanic and has a lift so wouldn’t be too much of a hassle to swap) but wanting to maybe go up to an 18 in KMC wheel.
Got it, I'm a sucker for the tire options with 17" wheels. Do they make the wheel you like in 17? Once you hit 18"s and larger, the load range options disappear quicker than a discounted price on a Brapter... 😁

WILDcardOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4, Bronco on the way
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got it, I'm a sucker for the tire options with 17" wheels. Do they make the wheel you like in 17? Once you hit 18"s and larger, the load range options disappear quicker than a discounted price on a Brapter... 😁
Honestly if I could find a nice tire for the stock rims that was similar I wouldn’t be opposed either. They just really appealed to me for some reason and seemed like the perfect blend of on and off road. I could also drop it back to 17” as well. Which that might be the option you recommended actually 😂 🤔

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you ever place an order with me I am going to have to change your customer tag to more accurately reflect your status as a professional tire connoisseur.
Thank you for the kind words... My friends and "most" of my customers tell me they think I got it right. But as with most automotive add ons, there's a lot of opinion involved.

I'll check you out!

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
From the article:
EXPERT CONSULTED: CHRIS KING - Director of Marketing and Communication, Real Truck

🤔

So, it's an ad for realtruck.com disguised as an article in Car & Driver.
Well atleast it is not a Nitto ad disguised as a realtruck.com ad in Car & Driver.... most opinion pieces need to have confirmation by other opinion pieces....opinion meaning reviews.

Bronco56

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Grey Badlands Lux 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had Ko2, Toyo at3, the pirelli scorpion all terrain plus, but the tire that doesn’t ever get mentioned is the cooper at3 xlt .
I prefer it to all the above. It may not look as tough but it’s quieter, better on wet pavement, and far less noisy.
Sponsored