First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cool write up, but..... I feel like an idiot. Am I the only person that didn't know F and C met at a certain temp?
Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey @lakesina are u saying it's cold here in Plattsburgh? It's not to bad today- it's only 26F (y)
Hey, Ben! Thats a heat wave for the Northcountry! I lived in City of Plattsburgh 1990 to 2006, then to warmer Philly, now retired to Charleston, SC. The coldest I experienced that I remember walking in was when I took the kids to school was -32°! That also cracked the plastic tether on my 1988 Bronco gas cap. Do you have your Bronco? It was Plattsburgh Ford or Cumberland Motors when the Ayers brothers had the Ford Dealership.

DeztroShow

Black Diamond
First Name
Dez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2021 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

kick ass!! my bronco should be here by the weekend I can't wait!

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s great news on the screen. The 12” one on my Tremor gets super slow below freezing.
My screen is slow if I don't use the remote start but it only takes a couple of minutes to return to responsiveness.

Sponsored

Steve62

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMG_2554.jpg

So the temp dipped below Minus 40 Degrees (the point where F and C meet) and...

The short answer is the Bronco handles it like a champ.

Long Answer, just like anything at this temperature it's not perfect.

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.
Date: December 27th, 2021
Air Temperature: -41C on the ramp at CYZF

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

IMG_2552.jpg

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

IMG_2556.jpg
Wow. -40F! Your Bronco pictures are the coolest I've seen, no pun intended.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't doubt Ford did a chunk of cold and hot weather testing right in the Detroit area at the Drivability Test Facility (DTF) in Allen Park. They can simulate down to -40F on the hottest summer day. I helped design and build it 20+ years ago. Three wind tunnels and four drivetrain test cells along with several soak rooms.

Sponsored

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMG_2554.jpg

Here is my story.

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada. Buffalo Airways Hangar: AirBus, Bombardier and others use our facility to Cold Weather test their new aircraft.

Ford if you need a cold-weather spot to test hit us up! ([email protected]). Porsche comes up to Yellowknife every year to cold weather test their prototypes

My Ride: White Base, 2.7 Sasquatch. No other options besides Factory Block Heater and Dealer installed Battery Trickle Charger.

IMG_2552.jpg

This is not a full list of course but just the deep winter items that jumped out.

1st the Bad.

Today it hit -40F (-40C) and my Basesquatch had been sitting for 4 days while I was away for X-mas. This morning I went to remote start it with the Ford Pass app and NO GO. I thought the battery died or it was too cold to start. But after physically using the push-button starter it fired up right away with no issue. The problem I know now was that the Bronco will go into sleep mode at these fridge temps and shut down power to the modem. So at the time you need to start it the most, it doesn't work... but it started and that's the important thing 7/10. A few co-workers were not so lucky.

Another kick in the pants is the 30-minute idle time maximum. Up here 30 mins is just the bare minimum you need to warm a vehicle up. Also having only two start sessions of 15 mins before needing to manually start the Bronco is a pain. Sometimes you can't plug into power during the day and need to start to keep it from freezing. So if anyone knows how to change that on Forscan please let me know! 5/10 for at least getting 30 mins.

Next Power Steering, with the cold temps (anything colder than -20C) it takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it frees up. I bet the 35's don't help. 5/10, No big deal as almost all vehicles do this up here. but my 2011 F-250 was not as bad.

Finally the Wipers. They suck and the almost vertical windshield almost always freezes the wipers as it collects a ton of water. 3/10 the back ones are not so bad.

The Good!

Heat. It warms up quickly! The 2 door Bases small cabin and fabric seats are a plus as they don't need to be warmed up as much as leather or vinyl. 9/10

Driveability. The Bronco is a dream on the ice and snow! I had put on Econo Mode and didn't know it disengaged the 4 wheel drive and I didn't notice it and I was driving on very icing conditions. (My F-250 was almost undrivable in 2WD in the same conditions) The 35's mixed with the short wheelbase of the 2-door is a dream in winter conditions. This was something I was worried about but I was wrong 9.5/10.

Infotainment Screen. Zero Issues so far, fingers crossed. Relatively fast and responsive at -40C 10/10.

So that's really it. A very short list of things that are affected by the deep cold.

Overall the Bronco is one of the best vehicles I have driven in these cold temperatures. I will update if anything else pops up.

IMG_2556.jpg
That’s good to know!
The good thing about living in California
Here in the Sacramento area it’s a rare case if it ever get down to 29+
but the average is probably the
High +40s

but I did get the block heater for when we retire in five years and move to another state somewhere where it’s colder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't doubt Ford did a chunk of cold and hot weather testing right in the Detroit area at the Drivability Test Facility (DTF) in Allen Park. They can simulate down to -40F on the hottest summer day. I helped design and build it 20+ years ago. Three wind tunnels and four drivetrain test cells along with several soak rooms.
But simulations are just simulations. The real world doesn’t care what pretend thought would happen. 😂

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco The Bronco at -40F COLD WEATHER TEST 🥶 IMG_2578

Here is my story.

1st the Bad.

The Good!

That 1st photo (with your Bronco facing towards the acrft and sunrise) is outstanding!

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But simulations are just simulations. The real world doesn’t care what pretend thought would happen. 😂
I hear you but -40F is -40F. Those drivetrain test cells wreak havoc on drivetrains. And the ability to produce consistent test conditions day after day versus counting on Mother Nature to give it to you is worth something.

What you can't simulate is weather. Rain and snow are hard to do and is rarely successful.

We laughed when a climatic tunnel for Hyundai was going through acceptance testing...they couldn't find a car that would start at -40F let alone hit 70 mph on the dyno.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks like a P-3!
In the '80s I flew on Strategic Air Command's Canadian/US ALCM tests.
Part of my job as a test engineer was to call ground stations along the flight path to get OAT data.
I remember calling Yellowknife on HF and asking for the temp...I thought I heard the guy reply "minus 17".
When I repeated that, he came back right away and said "No sir, that's MINUS SEVEN ZERO. That's, uh, COLD sir."
That incident helped me decide to retire down here in the hot, humid south!
Great Choice of a White Two Door! Great Minds Think Alike!!!
Sponsored