Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let's talk about the BaseSquatch.

First, this thread is not about arguing the BaseSquatch is "better" than your build. Everyone has their own specific preferences and needs that will determine what trim is best for them. I just want to spell out the pros and cons of getting a BaseSquatch, both for my own benefit and for other people who are looking for a highly capable value option. I'm going to do a rundown of what's missing on a BaseSquatch relative to higher-end trims and, where possible, how much it would cost for good aftermarket equivalents.

Ford Bronco The Case for a 2-Door BaseSquatch BroncoCapture.PNG

First, let's take a 2-door base and add Sasquatch and a 2.7 engine. This brings us to $39,900 MSRP. Already, we have a Bronco with the bigger engine, rear locking diff, 35s, advanced 4x4 auto, and 4.7 gearing. On the trail or the pavement, you'll already be keeping up with any factory Bronco out there. BUT, there are a good number of features that are unavailable on this trim. Let's go through them.

• No Rock Rails/No HD Front Bumper/No Bash Plates
For me, this is actually where the BaseSquatch shines. By 2022, there should be a good number of aftermarket bumpers and rock rails on the market. You can add the HD bumper to the base for $850 in B&P, but you can get something better for a comparable price from aftermarket suppliers that will be more tailored to your needs.

The rock rails on higher trims are body mounted, so I wouldn't count on them protecting your vehicle from really big hits. For about $750, you'll be able to get some really great frame mounted rails that will give you much more protection and can double as a step.

Here's the preview image from DV8 for their front bumper for a peek of what will be out there:
Ford Bronco The Case for a 2-Door BaseSquatch DV8-2021-Ford-Bronco-aftermarket-bumpers

• No MGV Seats or Washout Interior
Ford Bronco The Case for a 2-Door BaseSquatch BroncoInterior.PNG

The only option on the base is cloth seats. Personally, I live in Sacramento where summers get up to 110, so cloth is great for me. But let's say cloth isn't for you. Time to start thinking about aftermarket seats. Let's look at Katzkin's options. Here's a link if you want to see what they do for the Jeep. Doing 4 seats in leather + installation will run you about $1200-1500. You can add heating for a $100-300 and active cooling for about +$1000.

The base also comes with carpeted floors. If you want something easier to wash, you can add the rubber floor liners for $160.

Finally, note that there is no center grab handle and there are no accent colors. I imagine you can pick up a center handle fairly cheap in the aftermarket, and the lack of interior accent colors is pretty much 100% a positive in my opinion (race red with BD blue interior anyone?).

• No Mid/High/Lux package
This is probably the big one for many of you.

Without Mid you're missing out on intelligent access, remote start, dual-zone AC, 110V outlet, reverse sensing, co-pilot 360, ambient footwell lighting, and heated front seats. Heated seats can be easily bought and installed for $300 or so. Footwell lighting should be pretty cheap if you even care about it. Reverse sensing seems unnecessary since you still have the backup cam. Interestingly, the standard package does actually come with remote start, but you can only use it through the Ford Pass App (see here: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/free-remote-start-in-base-model.10827/). The biggest things you can't easily replace, in my opinion, are intelligent access and dual-zone AC.

Without high package, you're missing out on the 12" screen, the 360 camera, and mirror approach lamps. None of these really have viable aftermarket alternatives, and they are really cool features. I can definitely get why some people opt for this package, but we should also note that getting to this package will be at least $10,000 more than our BaseSquatch assuming you keep sas and 2.7.

Without Lux, the big ones you miss are adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, and B&O stereo. ACC and the heated steering wheel would be difficult to match aftermarket, but you can pretty easily upgrade the base speakers. It's still limited in that you only have 6 speaker cut-outs vs the 10 for the B&O system, but you will be able to get speakers that are higher-quality than B&O at a competitive price. For $1000, you can certainly get an audio system that sounds better.

• No Towing Package/No Automatic Sway Bar Disconnect
Four frame holes come pre-drilled from the factory for a hitch, so this should be pretty easy to get aftermarket. The wiring might be more difficult. Also, if you choose to get an aftermarket rear bumper, many come with a hitch integrated.

The automatic sway bar disco in the badlands is awesome, but ultimately it won't matter for 95% of the off roading most owners will be doing. For the 5% that it does matter, you can get quick swaybar disconnects for $200 or so.
  • No Area 51/Cactus Gray/Cyber Orange; No Sig Lights
Not much to say here, but aesthetics are important. Getting the Bronco that looks just like you've envisioned is worth paying extra for. There's no doubt that the base is the most limited in terms of exterior appearance options.

I think the BaseSquatch strikes a nice balance between value and performance. There are some very cool features from higher trims that you won't be able to replicate, but for most things, you can get custom options from aftermarket suppliers that will match or beat the factory equivalents. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I have continued going off roading with my more serious friends, I have started to seriously consider a base 2 door+squatch+V6.(have been thinking 4 door as a tow rig but there’s just no way I can keep a buggy+trailer anywhere near 5k pounds let alone 3500) really want to be able to wheel these hard trails (minimum 37’s lockers etc) but I also want a Bronco. I think I will probably do the 2 door and pay it off ASAP, then buy a truck and turn the 2 door into a pretty serious crawler in a few years. Stretch the wheelbase, 14 bolt rear, and whatever the best the aftermarket has for front suspension.

As an aside, I went to the Parker, AZ poker run this past weekend. There was a guy in a JL rubicon on 35’s that got stuck for a few minutes on a rock the size of a roll of Costco paper towels. Then he struggled getting up the easiest line on the waterfall where we were at... a few minutes later a Bronco II/Ranger buggy of some sort(it was pretty wild, had RZR parts as well)also on 35’s but with the TTB IFS attempted it. He crawled up it with almost no wheel slip or drama at all. 110% for those situations a solid front axle helps, but driver skill/tires/spotter/geometry matter a hell of a lot more is what that showed me.

Also as an extra check out this bronco that was out there!
Ford Bronco The Case for a 2-Door BaseSquatch FE82DEE0-4C22-40D7-B3D4-6A12D47F49A3

Last edited:

Sponsored

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Planning on going MY22 Base-man-squatch w/ Aux Switches after seeing how well the 2.3 did at KOH and really not wanting another 10 speed Ford. I fully agree with everything you bring up, I get the very expensive drive train upgrades and get to work on the functionality, armor and aesthetics myself. There will for sure be aftermarket head and tail lights that will look amazing in a year or two. I plan on taking out the rear seat so why bother paying for sweet MGV that I’m just gonna put in the shed? Only thing I wish I could get was Area 51, but not worth a few grand to go up a trim.

Bud1lite

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru forester,2016 Nissan frontier
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree,my wife drives a subaru with all the options,they are nice but i dont need it for my bronco,just want a narrow front bumper and get rid of the fender flares and im good to go...

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Show up on a trail with a Base Squatch 2.7 PLUS $10 in aftermarket; sliders, bumpers, rack, coilovers, skids, Anti-Rock swaybar (disconnects is not the only way)...

VS.

Badlands Squatched, $10K to Ford, and a ton of electric gadgetry (cameras are too cool).

... shouldn't be a hard decision, but I'm struggling.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think this is like arguing for pizza.... we all know it's good.

I have to have a manual and I like the MGV, so I went Badlands w/High for the screen to see what obstacle the spotter--who thinks they're helping by demonstrating how to scratch "that itch" instead of solid arm movements--is trying to tell me about.

Otherwise, I was very tempted by the Base V6 Squatch!

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Basemansquatch would come in at an even cheaper price.

Since the ordering window opened I've had it narrowed down to basemansquatch vs Badlands w/ Mid package. If basemansquatch was a MY21 option that's the route I'd go.

MSRP on that would be cheaper than OPs post by about $3k. As it is, I'm still holding hope my Badlands order will make it into this year's allocations...

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If samsquanch came with disco sways I’d be base model all day

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look, I was all about getting a basesquatch but I’m going to be using this as the family DD’ing vehicle as well as wanting the capability off road. I want everything for comfort and road trip capability, not just an off roader. But I totally see the value of the base with squatch and big motor.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base Squatch 2.7 on order , if I knew the manual was going to be early 22 would go change to that

Just a small thing but no tint on base so hoping to get all side windows done the same

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
If samsquanch came with disco sways I’d be base model all day
There will be a “pull pin” disconnect for non-badlands probably day 1. If not definitely day 2 or 3 of Bronco being in the shop’s hands.

I’ll hop out once a trip to pull some pins and bungee cord that shit for $5k+

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There will be a “pull pin” disconnect for non-badlands probably day 1. If not definitely day 2 or 3 of Bronco being in the shop’s hands.

I’ll hop out once a trip to pull some pins and bungee cord that shit for $5k+
damn it you make a good point.
Sponsored