Sponsored

The Case for Waiting Out Delay for Reserved Bronco in Spite of Disappointment and Frustration from Ford

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Folks, It's late July 2020 and everyone is enduring a lot in the year that just keeps on giving. On top of that, At some point between July 23-24, rumors began swirling that due to overwhelming popularity, buzz, and the fact that during the pandemic "what else do we have to focus on?" the 2021 Ford Bronco deliveries could be delayed from early Spring 2021, on into Summer 2021, and some deliveries into 2022! WTF? :oops: o_O:mad:?

Of course this is terrible news. Many have waited for the rebirth of Bronco for over a decade. There are true Ford guys (both good men and women), who have been loyal and downright rabid for the brand for decades, old timers who've been loyal to Bronco and still own or restore and mod them who have awaited the chance to drive a Bronco that fulfills their dreams of the ultimate Bronco.

Well, Ford did it. Not only has the Bronco finally been reborn, but it has met or exceeded our expectations. What we have is a true off road and desert bomber, rock crawler, trail runner, and exhibitionist (cause she goes topless! And the doors come off! The damn doors come off! WHILE TOPLESS!!!).

Of course, the story couldn't just end there with a happy ending. No, then there's the big pink elephant in the room, it's still a Ford.... Don't get me wrong, no other company had the balls to attempt something so daring, even Ford. Say this because I bet the Bronco Sport, capable as it may be, was the first horse out of the stable (see that there? Ha!) and the bean counters all agreed "it'll ride". However, something magical happened and Ford decided to listen to the often foolishly ignored voices, the enthusiast crowd. The guys and gals who like to get dirty, muddy, sandy, camp outside, shit in the woods, skinny dip in the streams, get to close to bears and bison (stupid, but whatever!), and look at mud on a vehicle as a status symbol. Did I mention there's a manual?!!! Yep, these folk are often taken for granted, but not this time.

Thank you Ford for building a true off road world class gasoline powered vehicle which may prove to be the absolute last of its breed until the electrics take over. (No issue with electrics, but MERICA!)

No Ford didn't deliver on everything. Sure there's a manual, but not on the most extreme off road trim even though these are the exact people most likely to actually want to buy the damn thing. SMH. They also didn't put in a V8, (although I'd argue that they may not need too, plus that would seriously limit range on the trail requiring carrying more jerry cans, but I'm not going to arm wrassle the guy who argues for it, just sayin), and there are no seat coolers (not my request, but swamp ass does suck).

Thanks for staying with me thus far, maybe, but the point of this rant is to say this; we're this close to vehicular nirvana. All of us, and we'll get there together. Well, at some point within the next couple of years... maybe.

Please don't bail on Bronco yet. No, Ford isn't perfect, they still wet the bed on a regular basis, but they are learning and listening. Most auto manufacturers don't listen to us at all until their sales drop. Ford was proactive here, so I want to applaud and give credit where it's deserved.

When you can see the finish line at the end of a marathon, it's just not cool to bail before crossing. This is hard for me too, but I'm going to keep the faith. So keep saving up, stay active here on the forum, and we will survive this trauma together.

Ford corporate is indeed listening, or reading Bronco6G and they want to deliver, the suits can't afford not to land this launch with all of the new competition on the horizon.

Please share thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don’t you mean July?

Last edited:
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davenport-insurance.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately I think with this latest news about delays, I'm going to have to move on. I can't begin to express my disappointment in Ford and all the delays. And while it's not really a delay, announcing the new Bronco in 2017 was just too early. Why announce such big news so long before launch? Then unveil the product, take reservations and then come up with this new disappointment? So now it's going to be 2022 before most of us can actually purchase one? I think the bloom will be off the rose by then. The excitement will have petered out. I personally will have already purchased another product. I am driving a 2012 Mustang GT that I ordered new. The car will be 10 years old (11 model years) when i am finally able to sit behind the wheel of my dream car. And, I'll be 62 years old.

Jeep people can rejoice because now they can make the necessary changes to the Wrangler to surpass anything Ford has done to the Bronco. Already they have exploited what they see as a weakness by teasing a V8 in the Wrangler. Lord Mr. Ford what have you done?

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford reportedly said they wanted to make 200k/yr in a closed door meeting and I highly doubt there is 200k reservations that will convert to sales. I have to assume that there are dealer allocations to likely match reservation numbers. Since one plant will build the reserved and the dealer allocated vehicles Ford would be foolish to build all reserved vehicles first. They may produce reserved units more heavily in the beginning, ie the FEs, but it will taper to a probable 50/50 split which will push some people's reserved delivery date to the right and into 2022. If you really want a Bronco before your reservation comes up, I'm sure there will be one out there on a lot.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately I think with this latest news about delays, I'm going to have to move on. I can't begin to express my disappointment in Ford and all the delays. And while it's not really a delay, announcing the new Bronco in 2017 was just too early. Why announce such big news so long before launch? Then unveil the product, take reservations and then come up with this new disappointment? So now it's going to be 2022 before most of us can actually purchase one? I think the bloom will be off the rose by then. The excitement will have petered out. I personally will have already purchased another product. I am driving a 2012 Mustang GT that I ordered new. The car will be 10 years old (11 model years) when i am finally able to sit behind the wheel of my dream car. And, I'll be 62 years old.

Jeep people can rejoice because now they can make the necessary changes to the Wrangler to surpass anything Ford has done to the Bronco. Already they have exploited what they see as a weakness by teasing a V8 in the Wrangler. Lord Mr. Ford what have you done?
Although I hate to see you go, totally understand your perspective. This is stuff that Ford needs to hear.

We can all tell you don't want to go to something else, but when they force your hand, these are the consequences.

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide. Hope to see you wheeling out there on the trails and appreciate your post.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well written OP.

The way I see it, there are two pieces of the delay that people seem to be focusing on:

The first part is that initial deliveries have moved from Spring 2021 to June 2021. If you somehow translated Spring to mean April (and I believe Spring actually continues into June), then it's only 2 months difference. And it's not like everyone is getting the vehicle a whole 2 months later; it may not even impact you.

The second part is that some of the first round of deliveries may extend into 2022. If you're concerned about depreciation or how the 2022 model might compare, that's a fair concern. Of course, it's just as likely that your Bronco won't take nearly that long, and by the time people cancel their extra second and third reservations, their might not be any issue getting all the reserved models out in 2021.

If you feel you need to move on because of these delays, there is certainly nothing wrong with that. However, I would suggest that simply berating Ford for the delay isn't helping anyone. Especially considering what they have done right.

First, there's the overall design of the Bronco. We all have little things we would like to see done differently, but overall they did a great job.

Second, unlike some other vehicle launches, they have explicitly stated that customer reservations have priority. You're not going to be waiting 6 months for your Bronco while they're selling dozens off the lot.

And third, Ford told us about the delay. Both the delay in getting initial deliveries out and how that could affect those at the back of the line. They could have just kept it to themselves and strung people along. They didn't.

We've all still got questions that we want answered. The more transparent Ford thinks it can be, the sooner we'll get those answers. It's fine to not like what they tell us at times, but remember that communication could be much, much worse.

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The true Bronco enthusiasts like myself will definitely be waiting. With everthing negative going on in the world a few month delay is no big deal IMO. I've always wanted to own a Bronco since I was a teenager and thats about 40 years of wanting. Came close a few time but never pulled the trigger due to what life threw at me.
For all those thinking about backing out now, I feel sorry for you the first time you pull up to a light or on a trail and see one. My guess you'll have a pit in you stomach wishing you waited for one.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford should frankly not have announced the reservation system if they weren’t able to deliver according to the timeline presented when they took peoples’ money. And then stealth-editing their website without notifying reservation holders made it worse. They could have announced and released the Bronco like any other vehicle and avoided pissing off their most loyal customers.

I’m sure the Bronco will be a great vehicle but this whole experience will be a sour point in my memory. I’m going to wait a little bit but really leaning towards canceling my reservation and buying a 4Runner, because I need a vehicle sooner than 2022.

OP
OP
MadMan4BamaNATL

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The true Bronco enthusiasts like myself will definitely be waiting. With everthing negative going on in the world a few month delay is no big deal IMO. I've always wanted to own a Bronco since I was a teenager and thats about 40 years of wanting. Came close a few time but never pulled the trigger due to what life threw at me.
For all those thinking about backing out now, I feel sorry for you the first time you pull up to a light or on a trail and see one. My guess you'll have a pit in you stomach wishing you waited for one.
I'm with you man, I'll be waiting, but circumstances work out for me to be able to sit it out if needed. With the work from home situation, my household can go down to 1 vehicle and be just fine for a few months. Everyone isn't so lucky, so I have a lot of compassion for them.

Being a car guy, I enjoy seeing guys get a car they really want. That smile and feeling of fulfillment is a sight to behold and it brightens my disposition as well.

My fear is that around this time next year, many of us will be in our new Broncos with a big shit eating grin, while those who couldn't wait feel like they've been dealt a compromise and that sucks to no end.

Nothing much I can do about any of it except give Ford some motivation through holding them accountable and share constructive feedback to encourage them to improve their performance; sort of like how I have to do at work. If this doesn't work, Ford will get fired and they can't afford to get fired.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the Bronco is your dream car and you’re not going to buy it now.... because of a possible 6-12 month delay?

And I don’t want to seem like I’m making excuses for Ford. As y’all know I’m obsessed with this thing and cannot wait. But at least we’ve seen it, we know they did a good job, and that they’re making sure it’s done right. I’m able to wait for perfection. And a lot of this timeline has been out of Ford’s control with the ‘rona.

Last edited:
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davenport-insurance.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford should frankly not have announced the reservation system if they weren’t able to deliver according to the timeline presented when they took peoples’ money. And then stealth-editing their website without notifying reservation holders made it worse. They could have announced and released the Bronco like any other vehicle and avoided pissing off their most loyal customers.

I’m sure the Bronco will be a great vehicle but this whole experience will be a sour point in my memory. I’m going to wait a little bit but really leaning towards canceling my reservation and buying a 4Runner, because I need a vehicle sooner than 2022.
[/QUOT

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davenport-insurance.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's my main concern. I need a new vehicle before 2022 and I can't afford to buy something and then take the huge loss to trade once the Bronco hits the dealerships. This will most likely be my last new car. I will probably be buying other cars for my wife later but for me, this is probably it. And yes I know, I'll be sick when I pull up beside a Bronco but I will probably be sitting in a 4X4
Ford F150 anyway.

BabyDoc1012

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra, 2019 Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the reservations numbers have surprised Ford. I think they are under promising to over deliver. Better to say June and the deliver in April than say April and deliver in June.

Just from this forum many have said they have reserved multiple Broncos but only plan on purchasing one. I am guessing at least a quarter of the reservations will be canceled because of this. Of those reservations that are left after that cut I bet about a 1/3 will be canceled because of pricing or another reason.

Ford has said, and it is obviously subject to change, that reservations will be built roughly as they were placed, based on batch building. The reservation process is going to remain open until the order process begins. Those of us who reserved in the first week or probably first month will more than likely see ours delivered first, while those that wait until the price configurator comes online to reserve will see theirs delivered last.

In my opinion I do not think most of us on here have anything to worry about. For me anyway, this is going to be a third vehicle,a toy to play with and when my son starts driving in 4 yrs will be his first car. I understand the frustration of those that are planning on this being a daily driver and those who have been on board since day one and planned vehicle purchases around this delivery.

Things can still change, we’ve quite a few in just under two weeks, so let’s see what happens. Remember Ford will do everything they can to not botch this like the Explorer.
Sponsored