Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I liked the older, boxy looking late nineties Cherokees. With that said the new ones look like hot garbage.
Ford Bronco The Cherokee is no more 36OwYNaz.dgb2giMtY-(edit)
The Alfa Cherokees never really did inspire much excitement on or off road. They always seemed to be a trail rated Subaru.

TheSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EG Badlands Sasquatch / 22 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a 89 black 2 door with the 4.0 inline6 and manual transmission. Some good times in that vehicle in my teens and early 20s! Even though the transmission was trash. Had it rebuilt twice!

The newer models remind me nothing of the 89 I had, so no surprise they are killing it. Like the Blazer you are buying a name badge, and that is all.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, really the Grand Cherokee is heir to the Cherokee line. The newer Cherokee is (was), at best , and Escape. The Grand Cherokee is also no longer what the Cherokee was, but is the logical progression.

Sponsored

sameoldeddie

Wildtrak
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Gray Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Such a bummer what they did to the later generation Cherokees. I had a 2000 that I drove into the ground and never had so much fun behind the wheel (until the Wildtrak was delivered)

Ziemann

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco 2-Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The XJ chassis was a great vehicle and I have lots of fond memories of wheeling in an XJ. The 4.0L straight 6 was legendary and durable beyond anything else I have ever driven. I personally loved the manual transmission in the XJ's and put a ton of miles on them. I had '89, '91, and '98 two door XJ's with manual transmissions- and put 100,000-150,000 miles on each one of them with no issues.

The KL chassis that they are killing off was nothing more than a car and nothing in common (other than the name) with the XJ. The KL Cherokee seemed to get lost in the Jeep lineup between the Compass and Grand Cherokee.

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I mean, in all actuality, the current Cherokee isn’t a Cherokee. They just slapped the name on it, kinda like the “sport” version of the Bronco.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lets all be politically correct and call them Stellantis... Don't worry the new Dodge Hornet that was a Alfa Romeo Tonale will become a Jeep Something in the future, like "Cherokee" a youthful, small, suv.

Sponsored

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Loved my boxy XJ Cherokee with the indestructible 4.0L straight six. Once they moved away from that design, the Cherokee went way downhill.

TheSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EG Badlands Sasquatch / 22 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The XJ chassis was a great vehicle and I have lots of fond memories of wheeling in an XJ. The 4.0L straight 6 was legendary and durable beyond anything else I have ever driven. I personally loved the manual transmission in the XJ's and put a ton of miles on them. I had '89, '91, and '98 two door XJ's with manual transmissions- and put 100,000-150,000 miles on each one of them with no issues.

The KL chassis that they are killing off was nothing more than a car and nothing in common (other than the name) with the XJ. The KL Cherokee seemed to get lost in the Jeep lineup between the Compass and Grand Cherokee.
Wow, you were lucky. Everyone I have personally known with an XJ had issues with the Peugeot transmission.

I’m not going to pretend we treated those transmissions gently, but mine had to be rebuilt twice in 150,000 miles. 2 of my friends had to rebuild once each, and another sold his just as it was needing a rebuild at 100k.
We all had to drive/transport 4 hours away for the rebuilds, because no transmission shops in our area wanted to touch that transmission.

Now, the XJ 4.0 was bulletproof! Loved that engine. Also loved the 4.0 in my 02 Explorer. Great engine as well.

I wish I still had the Cherokee even with the rebuilt transmission.

Riverjeep

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So many good classic cars have wandered off into oblivion. Gone are so many from the muscle car era like the GTO, Chevy super sports along with those with classic styling like the T-birds. When I was young you could tell what the car was just from the tail lights. Now most on the road look all alike. Even a stick shift is dang near impossible to find. Great sadness.
Sponsored