Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

General Motors had to temporarily drop heated seats as an option on vehicles in response to the chip shortage. But the largest U.S. automaker is not alone. The move is another sign of how automakers are having to respond to a crisis that has been cratering dealer inventory, spiking prices and delaying orders.

While GM does have a proposed remedy in place — a retrofit option will be available for owners later in 2022 — there really is no discernible end of the chip shortage in sight. There has been talk of trying to spur more domestic semiconductor production, but that will take years and billions of dollars to get off the ground.

Watch the video to learn more.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/20/the-chip-shortage-is-so-bad-gm-dropped-heated-seats-in-winter.html
Sponsored

adrencg

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Current shortage aside, I think moving to mostly domestic chip production is imperative for our survival in the future as an economy and functioning society. China has its sights set on Taiwan and if they take the country over, you can bet we'll either be shut out of the chip market or forced to pay a premium.

90% of the semiconductors are made in Taiwan. That's dangerous for us and the rest of the world.

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m really curious as to how they plan on “retrofitting” these missing features into vehicles down the road. I was working on a brand new 2022 Silverado that had the heating elements installed on the seats but there was no control for them. Installing whatever chip is missing is one thing, but the physical controls aren’t there. And if you look at the center stacks on trucks with and without factory heated seats, the whole climate control insert would need to be swapped out to gain the factory seat heater switch.
So unless GM is just planning on installing a more aftermarket style seat heater switch somewhere else, I don’t see these retrofits being a quick and cheap process

cclkramer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 ford f350 diesel dually
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

General Motors had to temporarily drop heated seats as an option on vehicles in response to the chip shortage. But the largest U.S. automaker is not alone. The move is another sign of how automakers are having to respond to a crisis that has been cratering dealer inventory, spiking prices and delaying orders.

While GM does have a proposed remedy in place — a retrofit option will be available for owners later in 2022 — there really is no discernible end of the chip shortage in sight. There has been talk of trying to spur more domestic semiconductor production, but that will take years and billions of dollars to get off the ground.

Watch the video to learn more.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/20/the-chip-shortage-is-so-bad-gm-dropped-heated-seats-in-winter.html
I think I read Range Rover has put orders on hold because of the shortages too.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just for giggles I built a Colorado 4wd the other day. You get a $50 discount, because they can't get you the reverse sensors, or the heated sets. So, you get $100 saving for opions that will cost 10 times that much if they had them. What a deal. SHM

OP
OP
Razorbak86

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Current shortage aside, I think moving to mostly domestic chip production is imperative for our survival in the future as an economy and functioning society. China has its sights set on Taiwan and if they take the country over, you can bet we'll either be shut out of the chip market or forced to pay a premium.

90% of the semiconductors are made in Taiwan. That's dangerous for us and the rest of the world.
So true. Semiconductors are the new oil. Just like wars have been fought over petroleum, I would not be surprised if future wars are fought over semiconductors.
Sponsored