Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I
If they built it for the 2.7's, what would the take rate for the 2.3's be?
I’m just talking about manual equipped vehicles in general. Most people buy off the lot or from available regional inventory because they don’t want to wait and pay more by ordering something. It’s a flawed system that’s artificially dictating market preferences through lack of availability. I’m not suggesting that manuals would ever again exceed autos take rate but I think it would be higher than it is if they were readily available to customers and not only offered with base model engines as they often are.
The Bronco is a difficult situation though from an engineering perspective. They had to design a gearbox that would be a relatively close match to the capabilities of the 10spd (thus 7 gears), while making it compact enough to fit in a short wheelbase with transfer case, strong enough to survive off road abuse, and efficient enough to not dramatically affect the horsepower output and fuel mileage.
Most of the manual transmissions capable of handling more torque than this one are HUGE, heavy boxes. The NV4500 that was available in older GM medium duty trucks (2500 and 3500 at least) was available in two versions: one rated for 410 lb/ft and one for 460 lb/ft. And it was a clunky, slow shifting truck transmission. Later they got a ZF 6 speed similar to the one Ford and Dodge used. It’s a good trans but was still only rated a little over 500. And to be used in the GM trucks they had to have a body lift from the factory to fit because they were so big.
Ford is playing it safe by not putting one behind the 2.7 but after seeing what that motor is capable of I think it’s sadly the smart move. I’m actually amazed that we are getting one at all and I think we have the Ranger to thank for that. The Ranger is sold overseas and manuals sell better outside the US so they can spread that development cost out farther vs building one for the 2.7 which would only be shared with the F150 is comparatively small numbers and only in the US.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands