First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is in no way a manual transmission. It has an “automated clutch” instead of a torque converter so there is no fluid coupling. But you drive it just like a standard automatic, just shift into gear and press the gas. It has paddle shifters but that doesn’t make it a manual.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It is in no way a manual transmission. It has an “automated clutch” instead of a torque converter so there is no fluid coupling. But you drive it just like a standard automatic, just shift into gear and press the gas. It has paddle shifters but that doesn’t make it a manual.

What of the transmission itself? It's the exact same eight-speed dual-clutch already designed, engineered, crash-tested, and EPA certified. With an electronic clutch pedal and an electronically monitored shifter, all that's needed is a few million lines of software code telling the transmission what to do when the driver presses the clutch and moves the lever. No doubt it would be a long, arduous process programming the transmission's clutches to behave like a manual and get the feel and response of the electronic clutch pedal right, but nothing about it is technically infeasible. Corvette engineers have already spent countless hours programming the dual-clutch transmission to make it feel the way they want, so they're certainly familiar with the process.

When I read this it sure sounds like a manual that is computer controlled to me of course now I now I'm the redneck here and my English ain't all that great but that's how I interpret this. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
What of the transmission itself? It's the exact same eight-speed dual-clutch already designed, engineered, crash-tested, and EPA certified. With an electronic clutch pedal and an electronically monitored shifter, all that's needed is a few million lines of software code telling the transmission what to do when the driver presses the clutch and moves the lever. No doubt it would be a long, arduous process programming the transmission's clutches to behave like a manual and get the feel and response of the electronic clutch pedal right, but nothing about it is technically infeasible. Corvette engineers have already spent countless hours programming the dual-clutch transmission to make it feel the way they want, so they're certainly familiar with the process.

When I read this it sure sounds like a manual that is computer controlled to me of course now I now I'm the redneck here and my English ain't all that great but that's how I interpret this. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck.
So a dual clutch IIRC has 2 clutches, one is always engaged and one is ready to go in the next gear essentially. So they shift instantly but there is no travel like a manual transmission. It's a clutch that's basically "on" or "off" the pedal wouldn't do anything.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

so …...………… someone in here, don't think it was you, was bustin' my balls about my F-1 comment and I have watched F-1 since the 90's, when I can, and I can tell you these cars are the same way. Tell it what to do, it does it in 8 milliseconds, faster than you could ever do it. Take from a guy who used to "kick it and stick it" in a fox body back in the 90's ALOT. I love a manual transmission and to me these are manual transmission but they are TOTALY controlled by the computer you just tell it what you want. In F-1 they have some buttons on the steering wheel that when approaching a corner while standing on the brake they will push the button, car automatically shifts down to a predetermined gear for that corner and STAND ON THE GAS.

you guys want techno you got it !!!!

I read in muscle mustangs one time Ford engineers once said if you think you are a good shoe turn the traction control off and try to beat our time with no changes. In other words …... make a quarter mile pass with traction control on, then go back in the staging lanes, turn traction control off, and try to duplicate the time. They spend that much time perfecting their launch control in the software as to repeat a perfect launch every time. If you turn launch control off you incinerate the tires unless you know how to drive. Hopefully Ford has done the same research on the new Bronco so it performs in ALL areas. I'm hopin' and prayin' that this thing is gonna kick some ass ..... 'cause I really want to sell my Wrangler and then I can go back to an all Ford stable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Getrag people already leaked that the new MT88 is only rated for 405lbft, so that would rule out the 3.5L, most performance minded hybrids, and various FI V6s and V8s.
Edumacate me, whats rated at 405lbs mean?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I have this right, it is an automatic, no third pedal, but yet has dual-clutch set up, I read that as no torque convertor, computer controls it all you just pick the gear. Everyone here like all this high technology I'm just throwing out there what is out there and what you could have someday.

paddle shifter. "for the first time in the car's history, is a dual-clutch unit. The launch-control functionality and far quicker shifts of this new eight-speed would easily outperform that of a manual-equipped car" taken from C&D
My dad had a Boxster with a PDK

No shit, that thing would shift faster, but once I learned manual, I would of gone for one of these

Ford Bronco The Clutch Gang 1579146066258

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe that means the trans can handle 405 ft. lbs. of tourque.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Edumacate me, whats rated at 405lbs mean?
It means the manufacturer certifies that it can handle 405ft-lbs of torque for the standard time period. Or something like that.

For us it essentially means you'll never see it mated to an engine that produces more than 405ft-lbs from the factory.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It means the manufacturer certifies that it can handle 405ft-lbs of torque for the standard time period. Or something like that.

For us it essentially means you'll never see it mated to an engine that produces more than 405ft-lbs from the factory.
So essentially, someones going to mod it to see what the breaking point is, then we go from there.

Curious how much bolt on potential it has before you need to upgrayedd the clutch

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So essentially, someones going to mod it to see what the breaking point is, then we go from there.

Curious how much bolt on potential it has before you need to upgrayedd the clutch
Upgrade the clutch and then you will need to "reprogram" all those lines of software to make the whole work smooth again $$$$ then … $$$$

techno is nice but it is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I would rather have it simple …. sorry I'm gonna go there ………. kinda like SFA.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
to add on to the Corvette talk, I am verymuch not a Chevy guy, never will own another.

But I am glad to see that Chevy finally said 'Fuck the purists, we are bringing the Vette back to what she was made for'. They have pulled all the stops and have turned her into an American made car that can run with the best of 'em. They went with what works best, not with what they've always done. And cheers to that.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe that means the trans can handle 405 ft. lbs. of tourque.
I believe specifically it's measured at the input shaft of the transmission but someone chime in if that's not correct.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgrade the clutch and then you will need to "reprogram" all those lines of software to make the whole work smooth again $$$$ then … $$$$

techno is nice but it is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I would rather have it simple …. sorry I'm gonna go there ………. kinda like SFA.
You're talking to a modder, money that'd be wasted on other stuff goes into my vehicles

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I believe specifically it's measured at the input shaft of the transmission but someone chime in if that's not correct.
X2 I believe you are correct, but I am not an expert. I like to call it "jack of all trades but master of none" …… I know about a lot of things, but don't know a lot about one thing.

hey, I just caught it ..... do you live in Washington???

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You're talking to a modder, money that'd be wasted on other stuff goes into my vehicles

I'm a modder also but I like to spend my money on other toys as well.
Sponsored