John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As it has been said before.......

If there's not a 3rd pedal, it's not a Manual Transmission.

"MANUAL" implies that you MANUALLY change the gears.

If something other than MANUALLY changing the gears (whether by hydraulic or electrical or some other method), it's Not a Manual Transmission.
Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ok but after you enlighten this old school guy what this acronym DCT stands for. Dual Clutch Transmission ???? maybe ????

and IMO if it has a clutch and a computer shifts the trans for you then it is a manual trans. If it has a convertor and shifts the trans on its own buy fluid dynamics then its an automatic. Just going buy what the driver input is, does not constitute what "type" of trans it is.

My Explorer is auto. It has a convertor and if I put it in drive it does everything, but I can shift it into manual mode but that doesn't make it a manual trans. If I push a third pedal and the trans has clutch just because the computer does all the work, no "mechanical" link between driver input and trans, then it is still a manual trans.
DCT is dual clutch transmission. But I think you're confusing a DCT with a sequential... a sequential still has a clutch pedal and can have the clutch operated by the driver, though it doesn't require a clutch to shift if going flat out (just like a motorcycle). A DCT is essentially the same as an automatic, but instead of a torque converter, there are 2 output shafts with individual automatically controlled clutch-type converters. each output shaft has alternating gears (I.E. Shaft A- 1, 3, 5; Shaft B- 2, 4, 6) and one output shaft stays engaged at a time while the other prepares the next gear, and when there is a gear change, it engages the clutch for the alternating output shaft for neatly instant gear changes

I'd still rather have a clutch pedal, though

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember, KISS (Keep It Simple, Son)

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My buddy actually wants to learn stick, and my Audi is up to the task

Also, old, and I can't find the original, but:
Ford Bronco The Clutch Gang Screenshot_20200118-110940

For the Tri-State guys, wound up in Cross Bronx Rush hour with it.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

DCT is dual clutch transmission. But I think you're confusing a DCT with a sequential... a sequential still has a clutch pedal and can have the clutch operated by the driver, though it doesn't require a clutch to shift if going flat out (just like a motorcycle). A DCT is essentially the same as an automatic, but instead of a torque converter, there are 2 output shafts with individual automatically controlled clutch-type converters. each output shaft has alternating gears (I.E. Shaft A- 1, 3, 5; Shaft B- 2, 4, 6) and one output shaft stays engaged at a time while the other prepares the next gear, and when there is a gear change, it engages the clutch for the alternating output shaft for neatly instant gear changes

I'd still rather have a clutch pedal, though
This is why I hate also the techno stuff.... The way I took it was had a third pedal and instead of traditional "H" pattern, it would just be forward is up shift and back would be down shift. Like a Rally car. So I guess this would be sequential ?, and the 'vette would be the DCT ?

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For you young guys back in the day you could buy a Hurst shifter for a manual trans that was called the verti-gate. start buy pulling up on the lever, in front of the shift knob, and pushing shifter forward this is first, pull back it goes to second, push forward you are in third, pull back and that was fourth. To down shift you would have pull up on the lever and it would go into the next lowest gear. (I.e. in 4th and pull up, push forward, now in 3rd). Like sequential but its mechanical. Reverse was a smaller lever off to it's side. With this shifter you wouldn't even have to use the clutch much, just "fan" it a little and keep your right foot to the floor and BANG your in the next gear, in other words ….. just grip it and rip it !!!! I have driven many cars like this and let me tell you if you never have, then you need to experience it, it will make realize just how violent "banging" gears really is because since they started putting hydraulic slave cylinders to actuate the throw out bearing you can "powershift" the trans anymore. You have to have cable operated throw out bearing to do what I described above.

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For you young guys back in the day you could buy a Hurst shifter for a manual trans that was called the verti-gate. start buy pulling up on the lever, in front of the shift knob, and pushing shifter forward this is first, pull back it goes to second, push forward you are in third, pull back and that was fourth. To down shift you would have pull up on the lever and it would go into the next lowest gear. (I.e. in 4th and pull up, push forward, now in 3rd). Like sequential but its mechanical. Reverse was a smaller lever off to it's side. With this shifter you wouldn't even have to use the clutch much, just "fan" it a little and keep your right foot to the floor and BANG your in the next gear, in other words ….. just grip it and rip it !!!! I have driven many cars like this and let me tell you if you never have, then you need to experience it, it will make realize just how violent "banging" gears really is because since they started putting hydraulic slave cylinders to actuate the throw out bearing you can "powershift" the trans anymore. You have to have cable operated throw out bearing to do what I described above.
I have never had one of these....sounds like when I do my 5 speed retro into my 71 mach ill have to try that. The only Hurst I've had where the slap shifters for the autos. And damn those were fun.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have never had one of these....sounds like when I do my 5 speed retro into my 71 mach ill have to try that. The only Hurst I've had where the slap shifters for the autos. And damn those were fun.
One thing you might want to be careful of if you do it, missing the gear can be catastrophic because you don't want to over rev that Cleveland ...…...… unless you have a rev limiter.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I won’t buy it if it doesn’t come in a manual and have a removable top. Ford, don’t make me buy a Wrangler!

I also plan to mod the Bronco. Ecoboost motors make very good gains when tuned and you can probably add 50-100 HP and Torque for minimal $$. Look at the eco boost mustangs.

I have a Camry Hybrid as a comfy daily and modded STi for fun. Bronco would be another FUN car.

I have driven manuals my entire life, even in congested Long Island traffic and NYC gridlock. You just get used to it and it keeps you paying attention lol.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I won’t buy it if it doesn’t come in a manual and have a removable top. Ford, don’t make me buy a Wrangler!

I also plan to mod the Bronco. Ecoboost motors make very good gains when tuned and you can probably add 50-100 HP and Torque for minimal $$. Look at the eco boost mustangs.

I have a Camry Hybrid as a comfy daily and modded STi for fun. Bronco would be another FUN car.

I have driven manuals my entire life, even in congested Long Island traffic and NYC gridlock. You just get used to it and it keeps you paying attention lol.
Ford Bronco The Clutch Gang images

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The thread for everyone's whose getting a manual

Welcome aboard!
I've been waiting since '76(?) when, as a kid, I got a ride in a new topless first gen Bronco. Love at first ride!
I'm holding out for a 2-door Bronco (loaded) but only a manual will do. If the Bronco disappoints with base engine only manual, I'll hang on to my Ranger as long as I can. I'd say my back-up is a Taco, but I think currently the highest model with a manual is a TRD Sport. I know Jeep has manual options, but it's a Fiat thing... you wouldn't understand.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been waiting since '76(?) when, as a kid, I got a ride in a new topless first gen Bronco. Love at first ride!
I'm holding out for a 2-door Bronco (loaded) but only a manual will do. If the Bronco disappoints with base engine only manual, I'll hang on to my Ranger as long as I can. I'd say my back-up is a Taco, but I think currently the highest model with a manual is a TRD Sport. I know Jeep has manual options, but it's a Fiat thing... you wouldn't understand.
Trd Offroad and Pro as well come in stick

Yeah, Fix It Again, Tony. Knock on wood though, my Ram's been solid

April can't come soon enough

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if Toyota brought back a manual transmission removable top 4Runner with a new motor, I probably wouldn’t be on here.. Toyota should have stepped up with a competitor for the Wrangler. I want a removable top manual transmission 4x4 and my only options are a classic 4Runner/landcruiser/Bronco or a Wrangler.
Sponsored