redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great work on this guys. To confirm by charts Wildtrack won't need any work togo to 35s?

It wont need any "work" it has 35's to begin with.
Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Firstly, requisite thank you to @North7 for this compilation thread and to all for follow-on discussion.

But I'm not sure a zero offset "better balances the forces..." (?) As many have pointed out on other topics, Ford likely didn't pick +55/+30mm as their only two wheel offsets in a myriad of offerings because they were the cheapest to cast/machine/etc or some other ignorant call - they engineered them that way for a reason.

Isn't the centerline of the wheel bearing (the only metal on metal, moving parts of the spindle/knuckle/hub assy) inboard of the hub face (to some distance I'm not aware of)?

If bearing is inboard, then 'for balance,' wouldn’t you need a positive offset (to some distance), to bring the centerline of the tire tread in line or closer with centerline of the bearing...?

Asking in-part because because I ordered a base and also +35mm 17" methods because I don't want to compromise on limited tire upsize options for 16" steelies aaand I think +35mm gives me a close-to-stock spec that should be flexible as I continue to upgrade and eventually re-tire.

Still debating rubber, thus my next reply to another part of this thread.
You are correct Bronkers that the bearing/spindle is inboard of the hub face, I stand corrected.

t3n2and4

Badlands
First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, F150, VW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands on 33", 2.7/AT is my choice as well. To me its the best choice for a 95% daily driver. It will give you plenty of offroad capability, including, as you mentioned, articulation. If you later want to go with 35" tires there is such a small difference between the AT 4.46 gearing and the SAS 4.7 gearing to worry about. I think many are choosing to Squatch for the looks.
I reached a similar conclusion.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That said, I have to ask, how would I lose some ground clearance by fitting larger wheels & tires (without doing anything to any other part of the rig)?

I get that I *may* lose articulation/wheel travel, or rub a fender liner, flare, or crash bar, TBD.
You are correct, I was to fast in my reply, I'll quote from Wikipedia for a more complete answer.
Suspension lifts can enable steeper approach, departure, and breakover angles, higher ground clearance, and helps accommodate larger wheels and tires.

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If I'm correctly following the logic of your tables, 0.67" (min) lift is required to fit 285/70R17 (33") tires simply because that is the difference (not including radius lift) between the Standard suspension (32" tire) and Special suspension (33" tire).
That is correct, as shown in Table 1, 2 and 3.
If that is the case, I'm not convinced that is accurate. Remember that the Special suspension has more travel (0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear).
I'm not sure what you mean by "Remember that", where did you get ,"(0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear)" dimensions?

Per my calculations in Table 5 the Special suspension has 0.67 inches difference both front and rear. Do you have different calculations you can share?

1623679999570-png.png

Busyboy19

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You don't "need it" if you don't care about full off-road capability, that you may or may not need or care about depending where you plan to drive your Bronco. The tires will fit but you will have to watch out for rubbing.
Your thoughts on OBX 18" with 2.7/Tow/Soft top only issue is wanting more aggressive tire look of 33" on BL. Will this need a shim?
Sorry to say won't be doing any real off roading, just really enjoy the look of the Bronco.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Your thoughts on OBX 18" with 2.7/Tow/Soft top only issue is wanting more aggressive tire look of 33" on BL. Will this need a shim?
Sorry to say won't be doing any real off roading, just really enjoy the look of the Bronco.
You can try stuffing 33" tires on the OBX without a spacer list, you need to check for tire rub at full compression, such as speed bumps and potholes. If you rub you can get out the grinder or go with a mild 3/4" spacer lift which may be less than $500 parts and labor.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is correct, as shown in Table 1, 2 and 3.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Remember that", where did you get ,"(0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear)" dimensions?

Per my calculations in Table 5 the Special suspension has 0.67 inches difference both front and rear. Do you have different calculations you can share?
Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that the Special suspension has more travel than the Standard, in additional to 0.67" of height. Per the released specs the Standard suspension travel (converted from mm to inches) is 7.95" in the front and 9.8" in the rear and the Special suspension has 8.74" front and 10.2" rear. The difference between the two is 0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear. The point I was trying to make is that 33" tires with the Standard suspension may not rub (despite having 0.67" less height), since the travel is less than that of the Special suspension with 33" tires.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the first post of this thread @North7 says it was Vaughn Gittin Jr. who said it in his Hells Revenge interview video… so I very well could be mistaken.

It’s tough keeping all these lies quotes straight at this point… but in my defense I did say I was paraphrasing!

;)
No worries. I wasn’t criticizing. @North may have gotten that idea from my speculation via PM a few nights ago, but when I finally found the video that I thought was the source, I did not hear what I remembered.

I am pretty sure it was a comment made by either Vaughn Gittin, Jr. or Loren Healy, and I am trying to find the video, but I keep running into dead ends. 🤷‍♂️

If anyone else can find the source video, I would greatly appreciate it.

In fact, I’ll toss in a cool, 3D patch and sticker to whoever finds it as a reward (photo below). 😲

Just to recap, the two slightly different versions of our small group recollections are:
  1. @North7 and @Razorbak86: “Vaughn Gittin Jr. or Loren Healy (both Bronco racers) said something to the effect, to put 37" tires on the Sasquatch you need to go up 2 inches and out 2 inches.”
  2. @ZackDanger: “… Loren Healy’s position on running 37”s, which can be summarized as (and I’m paraphrasing here): “2 inches up, 2 inches out, and f*ckin send it!”
Show us that mighty B6G crowd-sourcing power, fellow Bronco lovers!

Let the contest begin! :love:

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 486E801E-7945-427F-8AD0-11F8DACCCB94

Last edited:

Sponsored

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm. So at one time I was considering an OBX, and then later adding 33" ATs on it, similar to the Badlands, but because no one could tell me if 33s would fit w/o a lift, I went Badlands, for that, (and the black interior and non-painted flares). So am I reading this correctly? You need a small lift to put 33s on an OBX?
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 1623785825507

Last edited:
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hmm. So at one time I was considering an OBX, and then later would be 33" ATs on it, similar to the Badlands, but because no one could tell me of 33s would fit w/o a lift, I went Badlands, for that, and the black interior, and non-painted flares. So am I reading this correctly? You need a small lift to put 33s on an OBX?
1623785825507.png
You read it correctly, I'm glad the tables are working as intended.

Perhaps this is why Ford did not release this information early.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry for the confusion. What I was trying to say is that the Special suspension has more travel than the Standard, in additional to 0.67" of height. Per the released specs the Standard suspension travel (converted from mm to inches) is 7.95" in the front and 9.8" in the rear and the Special suspension has 8.74" front and 10.2" rear. The difference between the two is 0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear. The point I was trying to make is that 33" tires with the Standard suspension may not rub (despite having 0.67" less height), since the travel is less than that of the Special suspension with 33" tires.
Okay, I think I've recalibrated to what you are speaking about, after rereading your posts and reviewing the Bronco Technical Specification (snippet below) I'm now understanding what you were trying to say, I built the new table below to explain it to everyone else.

What threw things off was when you mentioned "Special suspension has more travel (0.79" in the front and 0.4" in the rear)." since your numbers were similar to the lift dimensions I immediately started thinking that and conflated my FIXED dimensions of Lift with your VARIABLE dimensions of travel, of course, two completely different things.

But now that I understand what you were trying to say, that maybe the Standard Suspension will not rub because of the reduced travel. I'll leave it to @BAUS67 to comment on that?

From 2021 FORD BRONCO TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 1623786873119

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 1623788174830

BroncoStorm

Badlands
First Name
Storm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I totally believe that. Ford did say they had to limit travel and articulation on the Sas to accommodate the 35s.

All in all, it seems like the standard BL with 33 is the “most capable” suspension… and likely what they designed for… but obviously with a mind that they would offer 35s all along.
Are you staying non-squatch on the BL? I know it's a personal question... Also, how much wheeling do you plan on doing? I'm still undecided. Looks aside, obviously.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you staying non-squatch on the BL? I know it's a personal question... Also, how much wheeling do you plan on doing? I'm still undecided. Looks aside, obviously.
That's a great question. I'm never planning on rock climbing in a way that the added articulation of the standard is going to make the difference, so it really is just an aesthetic decision for me.

I got to see a standard BL and Sas side-by-side in person, but the *only* other person there was a highly autistic but highly functioning 20 year old (with his mother), and he would get very upset if the hood or doors were closed... so I didn't actually get to see what the vehicles looked like side-by-side...

...all that's to say: My brain tells me standard Sas is the smartest, but my heart says that if I get the standard I'll wish it was a little taller, and if I sas I'll wish it was a little lower... and between the two, the latter will cause less angst...

And all THAT'S to say: I haven't added sas to my order, but I'm holding out for a MY22 anyway, so I'm hoping that once I start seeing them in the wild I'll be able to make up my mind.
Sponsored