North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Please forgive me if this was already covered in the 15 pages herein.

Once it's released from Dirt Mountain, I'll have a 2-Door Black Diamond. I'm planning to shod it with either LT285/70R17s or LT33x12.50R17s soon after I take delivery. Based on early reports, either should fit fine when mounted on my 17x8.5 +35 wheels.

However, I'd like a little more lift and more importantly more wheel travel. Sounds like I can get there by simply replacing the BD shocks with BL shocks (keeping the BD specific coils)--essentially upgrading my BD suspension to that of a BL. Is it that easy or am I missing something? What about the rear track bar; will 0.67" lift noticeably shift the rear axle to the left?
The springs are different brands, sizes and shapes between the BD and BL.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes thatspecialbeat 3

vs.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes FourHorses 1 Badlands
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The springs are different brands, sizes and shapes between the BD and BL.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes FourHorses 1 Badlands

vs.

You might even want to find someone with a Sasquatch package who is upgrading rather than just the BL non-sas suspension as the cost should be nearly the same for either configuration. The difference in ride height is only about 3/4", but that would give you just a little more clearance and suspension travel.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You might even want to find someone with a Sasquatch package who is upgrading rather than just the BL non-sas suspension as the cost should be nearly the same for either configuration. The difference in ride height is only about 3/4", but that would give you just a little more clearance and suspension travel.
Excellent suggestion. I was just reading a post from a fellow Utahan that beat the underside of his Badlands driving what I would consider a moderate trail (Mineral Basin). That extra clearance will be needed!

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am planning on ordering a Base with Sasquatch package and was planning on switching the wheels. The current stock is 315/70R17 on 17x8.5.

When I order new wheels, is it best to purchase wheels that are still 17x8.5 to stay as close to the stock as possible or is purchasing 17x9 wheels better or just as good for the 315/70R17?

I want to stay as close to stock sizes as possible for performance, etc. but was not sure which is best practice?

Questions
  1. Are you getting 17x8.5 or 17x9?
  2. Is 17x8.5 best to stay close to stock?
  3. Is 17x9 better support?
Thanks!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am planning on ordering a Base with Sasquatch package and was planning on switching the wheels. The current stock is 315/70R17 on 17x8.5.

When I order new wheels, is it best to purchase wheels that are still 17x8.5 to stay as close to the stock as possible or is purchasing 17x9 wheels better or just as good for the 315/70R17?

I want to stay as close to stock sizes as possible for performance, etc. but was not sure which is best practice? Are you getting 17x8.5 or 17x9? Why on either? Thanks!
On my OBX, I went with 17x9 RTR Tech 6 wheels with a +30 Offset. They just seemed to look right with the 295/70R17 M/T tires I was going to run.

Don't know if there would be any performance advantage with the 17x9 (actually believe that 17x8.5 might be superior for retaining the bead when aired down). However, I don't think any difference is going to be substantial... 17x8.5 will also be lighter all other things being equal.

RTR Tech 6 didn't have an 8.5" option, but it was the look and color I wanted, so 17x9 +30 it was.

Sponsored

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
On my OBX, I went with 17x9 RTR Tech 6 wheels with a +30 Offset. They just seemed to look right with the 295/70R17 M/T tires I was going to run.

Don't know if there would be any performance advantage with the 17x9 (actually believe that 17x8.5 might be superior for retaining the bead when aired down). However, I don't think any difference is going to be substantial... 17x8.5 will also be lighter all other things being equal.

RTR Tech 6 didn't have an 8.5" option, but it was the look and color I wanted, so 17x9 +30 it was.
Thank you so much for the reply!

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry of this has been covered earlier in the thread: Why did Ford not put the same shocks/springs on the Badlands as the 'Squatched models? The two Bilstein setups are so close, and the slightly higher ride would allow more upgrade flexibility.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sorry of this has been covered earlier in the thread: Why did Ford not put the same shocks/springs on the Badlands as the 'Squatched models? The two Bilstein setups are so close, and the slightly higher ride would allow more upgrade flexibility.
My guesses are as follows:
  • Differentiation between trim levels.
  • The ability to upsell between trim levels ($profit).
  • Calculated Engineering differences for the trade-off of lift vs articulation with 33" and 35" tires.

b1lf

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to ask the same question.

My guesses are as follows:
  • Differentiation between trim levels.
  • The ability to upsell between trim levels ($profit).
  • Calculated Engineering differences for the trade-off of lift vs articulation with 33" and 35" tires.

I'm going to end up with a Badlands or Wildtrak... after reviewing this thread (thanks BTW); I'm inclined to run a Badlands non-Squatch considering how close the BL suspension is to the Sasquatch.

After I burn through the OE set on the non-Sas BL, what larger tire size can I run comfortably without a lift? It looks like to run 35" I'd need a 0.43" lift? Is that data for a "real" 35" tire or the OE Sas 315/70R17 sizing?

Aside from not being a fan of the Sas wheel - not sure if I want to commit to running 35s (gearing, etc).

Odd Ball

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Vett Mustang Jag 911 (2)450SLs VWcab Blzr Fiat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wait, so I can't just put 40's on it and be done???

Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We can finally answer the ongoing Bronco question, "how much lift" does each trim level have compared to the others?

Now that we have the Ford General Specifications document, Bilstein Coilover Information and Ford Part Number information we can finally get a clear and complete picture on what the stock Bronco lift dimensions are and what is possible to lift each trim level. In this discussion the goal is always to maintain maximum functionality of your Bronco for off-road use. If you want to do something for looks only, you may be able to bend the rules a little and do a budget lift, but you want to be cautious of tire rub, binding, CV joints and steering component damage or other unintended consequences.

Vaughn Gittin Jr. or Loren Healey (both Bronco racers) said something to the effect, to put 37" tires on the Sasquatch you need to go up 2 inches and out 2 inches. Going out 2 inches most likely will require new control arms. On the other hand, Ryan of 4WP, only recommended new control arms when doing a lift 3 inches or higher. Further, he prefers a +35 wheel offset to maintain the ideal scrub radius to minimize wear on components. While this thread cannot possibly address every variable, these are general guidelines that each manufacture will handle differently, depending on the lift kits they offer.

Each of the below tables can be read separately to understand the information or points made within that table. Some data is repeated in other tables to provide clarity or present the information in a different way to make it understandable to the most number of people. This thread is intended to help newbies and experienced alike, with those more knowledgeable forum members helping others learn the ropes of suspension modifications and lift. Please post any corrections or clarifications you feel are needed.

Thank you to @ZackDanger, @Razorbak86 for their knowledge shared and for some of our unnamed friends of the forum.

View attachment 130207
Searching the Bilstein part numbers yielded little for me, but I did find the poop from Bilstein on their Bronco shocks. Might not be a bad move for my base when I get fidgety? A look inside the all new BILSTEIN ESCV for the Ford Bronco - BILSTEIN

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was going to ask the same question.

I'm going to end up with a Badlands or Wildtrak... after reviewing this thread (thanks BTW); I'm inclined to run a Badlands non-Squatch considering how close the BL suspension is to the Sasquatch.

After I burn through the OE set on the non-Sas BL, what larger tire size can I run comfortably without a lift? It looks like to run 35" I'd need a 0.43" lift? Is that data for a "real" 35" tire or the OE Sas 315/70R17 sizing?

Aside from not being a fan of the Sas wheel - not sure if I want to commit to running 35s (gearing, etc).
Well considering that you can run a 33.5" on the stock suspension (Base, BB, OBX) which is 0.67" lower than a BL's, I think that you would be safe running a 1.5" larger tire (or a 35") with the right backspacing (+30) on the wheel, however you would need to remove the crash bars more than likely. You can certainly run a 34" tire without a problem with the correct backspacing.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=70&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=9&offset2=30

Noissuefound

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been seeing a lot of people switching to 17” rims. Why the 17’s over the stock 18” rims?Wife wants her OB a little bit taller so after reading this thread she’ll be getting the 2” spacers and 285/75r18 on the stock rims which from what I’ve read will fit.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Been seeing a lot of people switching to 17” rims. Why the 17’s over the stock 18” rims?Wife wants her OB a little bit taller so after reading this thread she’ll be getting the 2” spacers and 285/75r18 on the stock rims which from what I’ve read will fit.
Larger wheels equate to shorter sidewalls for the same tire diameter. That is fine for on-road use, but smaller wheels with taller sidewalls are preferable when airing down for better traction off-road. (Stock wheels for the Badlands are 17”, not 18”, even for the Sasquatch package with 35” tires.)

Noissuefound

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Larger wheels equate to shorter sidewalls for the same tire diameter. That is fine for on-road use, but smaller wheels with taller sidewalls are preferable when airing down for better traction off-road. (Stock wheels for the Badlands are 17”, not 18”.)
Thanks for the info. Still trying to figure all this stuff out and there is so much info on here to sift through.
Sponsored