Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Still trying to figure all this stuff out and there is so much info on here to sift through.
Here’s a good example of what I’m talking about…

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Been seeing a lot of people switching to 17” rims. Why the 17’s over the stock 18” rims?Wife wants her OB a little bit taller so after reading this thread she’ll be getting the 2” spacers and 285/75r18 on the stock rims which from what I’ve read will fit.
They should fit without the spacers, what's the overall height of the tire? Anything under 34" should be fine after removing the crash bars.

Noissuefound

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They should fit without the spacers, what's the overall height of the tire? Anything under 34" should be fine after removing the crash bars.
They would be 35” tall tires.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're absolutely correct... I was thinking about 17" wheels...

...but actually there are these now, and I'm seriously considering them. Just want to hear some more reviews *and* for someone else to do all the work on what wheel offset combos with them look the best on the Bronco.

Toyo Open Country AT3 35x11.5r17
That one is C rated, ok for on road not so much in rocks.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That one is C rated, ok for on road not so much in rocks.
There was a video today showing a stock BB with 35's, crash bars removed, but no other mods, able to be fully flexed without rubbing. So, still should be ok, but that was with a 0 offset wheel.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a video today showing a stock BB with 35's, crash bars removed, but no other mods, able to be fully flexed without rubbing. So, still should be ok, but that was with a 0 offset wheel.
The C rating is for ply and sidewall numbers. D rated normally 8 ply, E is 10 ply. Tougher the tire better in rocks, but higher ratings=more wt.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So If I understand this correctly, a 2 and 3" lift wont work on a Black Diamond (non sasquatched) to fit 37s?

Would the fender flares need to be replaced on a non sasquatched Bronco?

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So If I understand this correctly, a 2 and 3" lift wont work on a Black Diamond (non sasquatched) to fit 37s?

Would the fender flares need to be replaced on a non sasquatched Bronco?
You would want a 3" lift on a non-squatch Black Diamond for 37" tires. You may also need new upper control arms for that as well so you don't damage your CV joints. This really needs to be new coilovers, not spacers. Other threads show other possible solutions to lifts and 37" tires, but it depends if this will be a off-road beast or mall crawler queen.

Fender flares are personal preference and what wheel offset you go with (many other threads discuss this part of the equation). But general rule of thumb, you want wider fender flares so you don't chip up the side of you Bronco, the door handles and the windshield of the person following you.

1623678791332-png.png

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would want a 3" lift on a non-squatch Black Diamond for 37" tires. You may also need new upper control arms for that as well so you don't damage your CV joints. This really needs to be new coilovers, not spacers. Other threads show other possible solutions to lifts and 37" tires, but it depends if this will be a off-road beast or mall crawler queen.

Fender flares are personal preference and what wheel offset you go with (many other threads discuss this part of the equation). But general rule of thumb, you want wider fender flares so you don't chip up the side of you Bronco, the door handles and the windshield of the person following you.
Is UCAs even available yet, or any non-spacer lift? I never really understood the stigma on spacers when it's not a crazy lift amount anyways since they just reduce your uptravel while a coilover reduces downtravel.

And it seems like even with the sasquatched flares, you're gonna end up with scratches on your body because of the way the tires are angled at the bottom. Seems like the only way to avoid that completely is mud flaps and a tube step for the excess rocks that flies up

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is UCAs even available yet, and any non-spacer lift?

And it seems like even with the sasquatched flares, you're gonna end up with scratches on your body because of the way the tires are angled at the bottom. Seems like the only way to avoid that completely is mud flaps and a tube step for the excess rocks that flies up
Some UCA's are out there, I believe RC has a set in the wild.

https://www.roughcountry.com/ford-lift-kit-51027.html

and BDS

https://www.jackit.com/bds-123254.html

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is UCAs even available yet, or any non-spacer lift? I never really understood the stigma on spacers when it's not a crazy lift amount anyways since they just reduce your uptravel while a coilover reduces downtravel.

The stigma on spacers is that, particularly with an IFS, they do not play nice with the CV joints.

Spacers are fine, but if you intend to flex as far as you can, you’ll exceed the limits of the other components (potentially with catastrophic results).

If your use-case is to achieve a lift and accommodate larger diameter tires, and aren’t worry about the CV joint concerns (either because you won’t achieve those angles or you’ll take steps to limit drop), there’s absolutely no shame in spacers.

It’s just important that people are totally informed and know what they’re getting into.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The stigma on spacers is that, particularly with an IFS, they do not play nice with the CV joints.

Spacers are fine, but if you intend to flex as far as you can, you’ll exceed the limits of the other components (potentially with catastrophic results).

If your use-case is to achieve a lift and accommodate larger diameter tires, and aren’t worry about the CV joint concerns (either because you won’t achieve those angles or you’ll take steps to limit drop), there’s absolutely no shame in spacers.

It’s just important that people are totally informed and know what they’re getting into.
With coilovers limiting your downtravel, won't you need to limit the uptravel on big tires anyways so your tires dont rub your fenders? Sounds like you'd be getting the worst of both worlds on COs, no? And with coilovers, wouldn't you exceed the limits of those same components especially if they have more travel than stock?

I'm questioning because I still fail to see how coilovers are better than spacers when lifting a vehicle. My Tacoma has a full CO suspension but I'm starting to question it tbh

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With coilovers limiting your downtravel, won't you need to limit the uptravel on big tires anyways so your tires dont rub your fenders? Sounds like you'd be getting the worst of both worlds on COs, no? And with coilovers, wouldn't you exceed the limits of those same components especially if they have more travel than stock?

I'm questioning because I still fail to see how coilovers are better than spacers when lifting a vehicle. My Tacoma has a full CO suspension but I'm starting to question it tbh
Yes, you will potentially need bump stops or something to limit upward travel for the reason you explained.

All of these problems is the reason the stock BL has the “most capable” suspension from the factory, since Sas limits travel to prevent rubbing of the 35s…. But that’s only if you measure “capability” by suspension travel…sometimes what you want is travel, sometimes what you want is clearance, sometimes you can get both…

…And then there’s portal axels.

This is a very deep subject, with a lot of geometry and not-necessarily intuitive cause and effect… a lot, if not most, of the questions you’ve expressed have already been explained and litigated on this very forum… not to mention I assume numerous times on the Tacoma forum.

It’s pretty cool stuff…
Sponsored