Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any chance we could get the HOSS 3.0 data added to this “cookbook”? I’m curious how adding it to my Badlands would change things. Also, I’m curious to see the spring rate comparison.
Sponsored

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So basically this table on page one says I only need a 1/2" spacer on my Non Sasquatch Badlands to run 35s?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So basically this table on page one says I only need a 1/2" spacer on my Non Sasquatch Badlands to run 35s?
Actually, you probably just need to pull the crash bars and run the correct wheel offset.

NJBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually, you probably just need to pull the crash bars and run the correct wheel offset.
Agree, crash bars need to go and offset matters. Also need to consider that the non-SAS Bilsteins sit 0.43” lower but allow for more articulation since there are no bump stops like the SAS shocks, so risk of fender rub at full compression is possible (my guess but haven’t experienced on my non-SAS wheel swap yet). I think this is why the chart suggests a full coil over swap as preferred option although I’ve seen 1.5” collars as a less optimal alternative.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive already removed crash bars and Im going with 0mm offset.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ive already removed crash bars and Im going with 0mm offset.
You will be fine is my guess. I am pretty could easily run 35's on mine (I believe) and certainly 34.5" tires, once I swapped from the stock OBX shocks and springs to the non-sasquatch Badlands suspension after pulling the crash bars. I have +30 offset 17x9 rims and a ton of room for more tire now (although my large tires are only 33.5").

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will be fine is my guess. I am pretty could easily run 35's on mine (I believe) and certainly 34.5" tires, once I swapped from the stock OBX shocks and springs to the non-sasquatch Badlands suspension after pulling the crash bars. I have +30 offset 17x9 rims and a ton of room for more tire now (although my large tires are only 33.5").
looking at the Icon sub forum it looks like I can run the +25mm offset Rebound Pros with 35s on my Badlands.

Jonny way

Everglades
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

You might even want to find someone with a Sasquatch package who is upgrading rather than just the BL non-sas suspension as the cost should be nearly the same for either configuration. The difference in ride height is only about 3/4", but that would give you just a little more clearance and suspension travel.
How did this turn out? Im thinking of buying shocks and springs from a BL 4-door add on my 2-door BD. Curious if you had any results to report if this swapped well and how was lift/ride changed.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How did this turn out? Im thinking of buying shocks and springs from a BL 4-door add on my 2-door BD. Curious if you had any results to report if this swapped well and how was lift/ride changed.
Prior to the swap.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes received_233184485644998

That's so 20k miles ago. Here was the result of the suspension swap.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes IMG_20220910_181104

Yes, I think that it worked out great, just waiting until I can get time off to install the HOSS 3.0 steering rack when the alignment shop is also open.

The lift is subtle, but there... ride is a little less plush on road, but definitely better off-road... Handles wash-boards like a champ. Over all rake was less than 1/2" higher in back.

Last edited:

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm new to this but have read this whole thread and many others, as well as a lot of other content to try to educate myself.

I have a non-SAS Badlands that I'd like to lift and add 35" tires.

Two questions I have that I haven't seen an answer to -

1) If I use strut spacers on a non-SAS badlands, how much extra droop is safe for the CV joint past stock?

2) I'd like to retain my factory beadlock-capable wheels. I've seen that moving to 35" tires may require a +30 offset instead of the +55 that is on those wheels. Can I just use a 20mm wheel spacer? What are the drawbacks if any of a wheel spacer?

Thanks to everyone for all of the priceless knowledge share.

Sponsored

Cardboardbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Cb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Prior to the swap.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes IMG_20220910_181104

That's so 20k miles ago. Here was the result of the suspension swap.

Yes, I think that it worked out great, just waiting until I can get time off to install the HOSS 3.0 steering rack when the alignment shop is also open.

The lift is subtle, but there... ride is a little less plush on road, but definitely better off-road... Handles wash-boards like a champ. Over all rake was less than 1/2" higher in back.
For your suspension upgrade did you buy take offs? or did you use the part numbers on the first page to order them?

Thanks!

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I learned a ton about IFS and Ryan from 4WP, in both his video(s) and his conversations here, really opened my eyes to some things.

I come from the jeep side where a "budget lift" is a regular and appropriate things.... with a budget lift you basically just put some spacers on top of the suspension to give you some quick increased clearance for larger tires.

The problem is that with an IFS, when you add lift in that way, without taking other things into account, you reach the limits of the front axles and CV joint angles.

The weird thing is that you can "safely" budget lift the lower trims but not the upper trims...

Ryan was able to shed some light on something that didn't make intuitive sense to me at first but it an important point:

On the Base-OB the shocks themselves don't have a very large range of motion. On the yellow bilsteins (BL and Sas), the travel is so much greater and you're already lifted, that they basically already allow for near maximum droop as far as the CVs are concerned.

What that means is that counterintuitively, it's easier to "cheaply" lift a lower trim Bronco than an upper trim....

The lower trim shocks don't allow the wheels to drop enough to create a problem if you add some spacers to raise the vehicle, so you can get a base up to squatch height pretty easy with a budget boost. On the upper trims if you add more lift with spacers the wheels can drop so far that you bind the axles and can create serious problems.

Ryan's point was that if you want to eventually get to a 3" lift for 37s... even if it's only a small increase over your BL or Sas height, you're already at the end of the CV capability. Starting with Sas doesn't mean you get to save money by just adding cheap spacers for the 37" clearance, you have to swap out coilovers and UCA anyway... So, if your plan is 37s, it may make more sense to *not* sas from the factory since you're going to have to replace those components anyway.

Granted, the Bilsteins, with their longer range of travel mean better articulation off road, but if your goal is to just lift your Bronco fast and cheap, it could potentially make more sense to go with a lower trim and add spacers.

(Of course, if you want to lift your BL or Sas, and aren't worried about damage that may occur if you were to hang one of your front wheels in the air... a spacer may be worth it to you... or if you're worried about damage but don't mind limiting droop, you could put limiter straps in or something... I'm sure we'll see plenty of different solutions once Broncos become more prolific.)

The more I think about this more clear (I think) things become to me.

Basically, here's the breakdown as I see it:

- If all you want is lift to clear 35" on the street, it's almost certainly cheaper to get a Base-OB and add a budget boost.
- If you want maximum off-road capability for 33-35" it's probably cheaper to Sas.
- If you want maximum off-road capability for 37" it's cheaper to go base and upgrade coilovers and UCA.

And here's the link to the video where Ryan very quickly talks about how a "level lift" (budget boost / spacer) wont work because of CV angles on the "Yellow Bilstein" (BL, SAS) equipped Broncos:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-37”-tires-on-2021-bronco-4wp-explains.16623/
Just want to reference Table 3...

I have a Wildtrak with 37" K02s with no lift or levelers on my factory wheels. No rub and no scuff marks through articulation.

Any thoughts on doing a column for 40" tires?

Well done on putting this all together! 🤞 🤞

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For your suspension upgrade did you buy take offs? or did you use the part numbers on the first page to order them?

Thanks!
I spent the extra money and ordered them through Ruxer Ford (@flip).

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Funny this has come up again. Just did a big update to the suspension cook book yesterday and was going to find the thread to post it to.

Caveats.....When I did V1 of the list it was primarily '21 model vehicles with a couple of '22s. Many part numbers have changed and will continue to evolve as new models come out. I'm not going to go in every day and try to put the most recent data in there because it's too time consuming. The first number in the cell is the service part number (what you'd give the parts department to order), followed by the date range that part number went into service (or discontinued) followed by the engineering number (likely found on the tag attached to a part or stamped into the part itself).

Much of the data is based on VIN numbers supplied by members with differing models and equipment. Not every permutation is listed, especially when we get to HOSS or Warthog. If the last column doesn't have a VIN, the part numbers were derived from what is currently loaded in Microcat's catalogue. If a cell is blank, I either couldn't find it, wasn't available at the time, too lazy to beg for a VIN to look it up in HVBOM or HVBOM was down.

Last set is all of the spring part numbers with engineering numbers in the current catalogue.

One thing I forgot to mention, shock and spring prices have gone waaaaaaay up.

Attachments

DarthLincoln

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 BMW M coupe, 2023 Ford Bronco Badlands 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Funny this has come up again. Just did a big update to the suspension cook book yesterday and was going to find the thread to post it to.

Caveats.....When I did V1 of the list it was primarily '21 model vehicles with a couple of '22s. Many part numbers have changed and will continue to evolve as new models come out. I'm not going to go in every day and try to put the most recent data in there because it's too time consuming. The first number in the cell is the service part number (what you'd give the parts department to order), followed by the date range that part number went into service (or discontinued) followed by the engineering number (likely found on the tag attached to a part or stamped into the part itself).

Much of the data is based on VIN numbers supplied by members with differing models and equipment. Not every permutation is listed, especially when we get to HOSS or Warthog. If the last column doesn't have a VIN, the part numbers were derived from what is currently loaded in Microcat's catalogue. If a cell is blank, I either couldn't find it, wasn't available at the time, too lazy to beg for a VIN to look it up in HVBOM or HVBOM was down.

Last set is all of the spring part numbers with engineering numbers in the current catalogue.

One thing I forgot to mention, shock and spring prices have gone waaaaaaay up.
@flip thanks for posting your updated cook book. One question: under Badlands: Special 2DR, both rows 6 & 7 have the same qualifier “2.7, auto, tow”. All part numbers are the same, but different VINs. What is the difference of these two rows?

This is a fantastic thread with a ton of great information from everyone.
Sponsored