Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey all sorry for being an newbie off roading and I did try to search the post (19 pages). I don't understand what I'm missing regarding my build. I upgraded to 275/50/18 General Grabber on my Non-Sas OBX without a lift. I don't have any rub.

Is the benefit of a .67 lift just extra clearance?

Or is there something I'm missing that could hurt my bronco (other than being a terrible driver) if I were to try to do some relatively light off roading (think beaches or New Hamshire/VT not the south west).
Sponsored

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@North7 - Right! hadn't thought about that, but my concern is in true offroad conditions, if I do a suspension lift of 2.0" on a BL Squatch to accommodate 37s, do I risk any rub at full compression?

at say 2.0 or 2.5" of total lift, do I need to worry about geometry and replace the UCAs?
With the 4WP's lift of about 3" they stated there would be some minor trimming required to the crash bar mounts. At 3" you are getting close to needing UCA's. @BAUS67, time for your expertise please, can you chime in please?

Here are pics of the 4WP rig at the Dallas off-road show and a pic of the crash bar mount that needs trimming.
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 20210515_125850-

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 20210515_130031-

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hey all sorry for being an newbie off roading and I did try to search the post (19 pages). I don't understand what I'm missing regarding my build. I upgraded to 275/50/18 General Grabber on my Non-Sas OBX without a lift. I don't have any rub.

Or is there something I'm missing that could hurt my bronco (other than being a terrible driver) if I were to try to do some relatively light off roading (think beaches or New Hamshire/VT not the south west).
The extra lift just gives a little better clearance, you will not hurt anytime as is, just keep your eyes open for rubbing and address it if you find any.

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming you are going on Cat4 roads in NH/VT (where I am going) some are benign, some can be quite narly.
With the 4WP's lift of about 3" they stated there would be some minor trimming required to the crash bar mounts. At 3" you are getting close to needing UCA's. @BAUS67, time for your expertise please, can you chime in please?

Here are pics of the 4WP rig at the Dallas off-road show and a pic of the crash bar mount that needs trimming.
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 20210515_130031-

@North7 - great help here, THANK YOU!!!!
do you know if the crash bar mount would need trimming on a factory squatched BL? I am assuming it's still there and the answer is yes.

thanks again!

Sponsored
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@North7 - great help here, THANK YOU!!!!
do you know if the crash bar mount would need trimming on a factory squatched BL? I am assuming it's still there and the answer is yes.
For aggressive off-roading, there is a lip on the crash bar mount stub, there was a pic on the forum of someone trimming it but I can't find it. You can also buy a trimmer aftermarket crash bars, like the 4WP one's.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you mean these pics ??????

Before ......... you can see the "shiny" part where the tire rubs.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 1638836699369

Ater ................. Truthfully the outer part could be removed as well.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes 1638836725631

Personally, I would recommend the use of UCA's for any lift on a Squatch, BL, WT, or FE, of more than 1". JMO (just my opinion)

Bronco Shuff

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX, 19 EXPY, 19 Ranger, 11 EXPY, 68 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@North7 and @ZackDanger - Thanks so much for your time and expertise on this subject. I follow the chart/logic of the lift height needed to accommodate larger tires - not sure I understand the implications on the "geometry". As such, taking delivery this month of a 2021 OBX for my wife. We did the Off-Roadeo in NH and she loved it! She wants to do some mild to moderate trails here in VA. (Now we both wish we had ordered the standard BL) - All that being said, looking to keep the stock rims, add 2" Zone Lift Spacers and go to BFG KO@ 275/70/18. Will this configuration negatively impact my geometry or have any other negative impacts?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@North7 and @ZackDanger - Thanks so much for your time and expertise on this subject. I follow the chart/logic of the lift height needed to accommodate larger tires - not sure I understand the implications on the "geometry". As such, taking delivery this month of a 2021 OBX for my wife. We did the Off-Roadeo in NH and she loved it! She wants to do some mild to moderate trails here in VA. (Now we both wish we had ordered the standard BL) - All that being said, looking to keep the stock rims, add 2" Zone Lift Spacers and go to BFG KO@ 275/70/18. Will this configuration negatively impact my geometry or have any other negative impacts?

I can safely state that you do not need a lift with a 295/70R17, so based on this data

Old = 275/70R18
New = 295/70R17

ParameterOldNewDifference
Overall diameter:33.2"33.3"+0.1" (+0.3%)
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes ok_ico
Section width10.8"11.6"+0.8" (+7.3%)
Circumference104.2"104.5"+0.3" (+0.3%)
Sidewall height7.6"8.1"+0.6" (+7.3%)
Revs per mile:608.3606.4-1.9 (-0.3%)
ClearanceClearance changes to 0.1"

You should be good to go without any lift. Here is my OBX - No lift. One caveat, I went from a +55 Offset to a +30 Offset, which moved my tires out 0.6" (which when considering the section width (11.6" - 10.8")/2 = 0.4") the difference means that at most you are talking less than 1/4" of inside clearance lost compared to my Bronco.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes Bronco M3
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes Bronco M1

Ya, you miss out on the electronic Sway Bar Disconnect with the OBX, but really, did you need it for "Mild" to "Moderate" trails... No. Don't stress it... sure the SBD is nice to have, but not worth giving up carpet (or cloth seats in South Texas) for. If I could have had any interior I wanted, I too, might have gone for the Badlands... But I have no regrets.
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes Shackle Mounts

Last edited:

Bronco Shuff

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX, 19 EXPY, 19 Ranger, 11 EXPY, 68 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I can safely state that you do not need a lift with a 295/70R17, so based on this data

Old = 275/70R18
New = 295/70R17

ParameterOldNewDifference
Overall diameter:33.2"33.3"+0.1" (+0.3%)
Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes Shackle Mounts
Section width10.8"11.6"+0.8" (+7.3%)
Circumference104.2"104.5"+0.3" (+0.3%)
Sidewall height7.6"8.1"+0.6" (+7.3%)
Revs per mile:608.3606.4-1.9 (-0.3%)
ClearanceClearance changes to 0.1"

You should be good to go without any lift. Here is my OBX - No lift. One caveat, I went from a +55 Offset to a +30 Offset, which moved my tires out 0.6" (which when considering the section width (11.6" - 10.8")/2 = 0.4") the difference means that at most you are talking less than 1/4" of inside clearance lost compared to my Bronco.

Ya, you miss out on the electronic Sway Bar Disconnect with the OBX, but really, did you need it for "Mild" to "Moderate" trails... No. Don't stress it... sure the SBD is nice to have, but not worth giving up carpet (or cloth seats in South Texas) for. If I could have had any interior I wanted, I too, might have gone for the Badlands... But I have no regrets.
Thank you for the response - very helpful. If you would indulge me for one more question, I would appreciate it. What is the measurement/height of the top of the step bar to the ground?

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for the response - very helpful. If you would indulge me for one more question, I would appreciate it. What is the measurement/height of the top of the step bar to the ground?
Driver Front 15.5"
Driver Rear 15.5"
Passenger Front 15.5"
Passenger Rear 15.75"

Ground does have some minor slant to it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

MofaSho

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 and Badlands on 35's with no lift.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I purchased some Sas take-offs for my badlands before reading this thread.

Looks like I'm gonna need springs for a proper mount.

has anyone found a way around this?
Sponsored