First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I got to spend a bunch of time around one of these suckers a while back. Imagine having to replace these flares. Bare carbon fiber.

2014-mercedes-benz-g63-6x6-front-three-quarter.jpg

Never in my whole life have I needed an enormous truck as much as the first time I saw the G63 6x6 in person.
Nice, did you get to drive it? Somebody needs to put one of those on Turo....
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never in my whole life have I needed an enormous truck as much as the first time I saw the G63 6x6 in person.
You could just get a Deuce-and-a-Half for like 1/100th the price or less -- and it would be even bigger. Then you could spend a fraction of the cost difference and make the cabin of the deuce pleasant. With the deuce you can just plop a Bronco or house or whatever in the back too.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You could just get a Deuce-and-a-Half for like 1/100th the price or less -- and it would be even bigger. Then you could spend a fraction of the cost difference and make the cabin of the deuce pleasant. With the deuce you can just plop a Bronco or house or whatever in the back too.
Oh for sure. I want it, but I won't be buying it haha. There are many things I want to buy and do that I will likely never getting around to or be capable of buying and/or doing. Like making a trail rig from a unimog or a bobbed deuce-and-a-half.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ok so here is my thinking on the flare situation ......… the pic is of my 13 Explorer fender opening. It has a plastic fender lip or molding not a flare that sticks out. This is part of the fender, if removed it is not like taking the flare off your F-150 where it has a finished fender behind it, the metal fender is recessed to accept the wheel lip molding, so in the end it all looks flush.

So what I am thinking is that the Bronco may be more like this design then the F-150 "bolt on" flare.
If the Bronco is more like the Explorer then the base model would not really have a flare to speak of.
The larger "flared" models would just replace the flush mounted ones with wider, and wider, etc. ones. The two wheel openings look similar.

Just some thoughts I have had while peering over the leaked photos and my Explorer sitting in the garage waiting to be replaced. ;)

20200328_071650.jpg

20200328_071657.jpg

Sponsored

LRDiscovery2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover Discovery 2, Lexus GS450h
Ok so here is my thinking on the flare situation ......… the pic is of my 13 Explorer fender opening. It has a plastic fender lip or molding not a flare that sticks out. This is part of the fender, if removed it is not like taking the flare off your F-150 where it has a finished fender behind it, the metal fender is recessed to accept the wheel lip molding, so in the end it all looks flush.

So what I am thinking is that the Bronco may be more like this design then the F-150 "bolt on" flare.
If the Bronco is more like the Explorer then the base model would not really have a flare to speak of.
The larger "flared" models would just replace the flush mounted ones with wider, and wider, etc. ones. The two wheel openings look similar.

Just some thoughts I have had while peering over the leaked photos and my Explorer sitting in the garage waiting to be replaced. ;)
My thoughts exactly.

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good insight. This is the most logical answer. I had hoped (and seemed to read this) that they were trying to market the Bronco as more of a desert off-road vehicle than a tight trail vehicle. I was obviously wrong in the direction they chose to go with the design.

Just like with the F-150, I was hoping to see a normal fender version for the tight trail crowd, and a wide fender (not Flare) version for the desert "Raptor" edition. Just like they do with the F-150 Raptor. Maybe we will see that down the line.
Actually, that wouldn't be entirely impractical for the trail. Fiberglass fenders and integrated "flares" like my Raptor, sure. (Aftermarket to squeeze in 37s) But squared off and replaceable bushwackers would be fine because that would protect the edge of the fender, like they do with the Ranger and Raptor. And be an easy fix when it gets scratched up horribly. For the hard core guys, even with the way that Ford went, they'd swap or cut any fender that comes on it anyways and it would mean nothing. At least with the squared normal fenders like the original, it would look great and look like the original, with the flare of the current models. Everyone keeps saying it looks like the Wrangler, but let's not forget there's a look that the Bronco had before that wasn't like it. Plastic flares things like this make it look like a Wrangler, regardless if it's square or round. I can only assume they went with round because that's how all their other trucks look though.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm guessing, as some have suggested, that the flares in all the leaked photos are just a ruse. They are just place markers or even intentional camo. It would take about five minutes to change them out for the real thing when it's time for the reveal. I'm betting Ford will use something with a more integrated look, maybe different types for different trim levels, on the real thing...and that will keep us talking for a few more weeks, which, after all, is the intention of all these leaks, right?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm guessing, as some have suggested, that the flares in all the leaked photos are just a ruse. They are just place markers or even intentional camo. It would take about five minutes to change them out for the real thing when it's time for the reveal. I'm betting Ford will use something with a more integrated look, maybe different types for different trim levels, on the real thing...and that will keep us talking for a few more weeks, which, after all, is the intention of all these leaks, right?
I would expect several types if they plan on competing with Jeep. Some I've seen are matt black, some higher arched to allow bigger tires and nice body colored versions. I'd probably go for painted body color.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I don't know, it seems like a weird ruse. It makes more sense for them to have a flatter body panels and flares that are easily exchanged as needed for different tire sizes. A lot of the leaks about the Bronco seem to be pointing at a philosophy of utility, modularity, and quick upgrades and changes. These flares would fit that profile.

Black Bronco Convertible

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
amzn.to
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wish the bronco fenders were 3 sided instead of wide and rounded because you need 37’s to make the 4 door look proportional with its tires. 3 sided fenders work well with many tire sizes since all you need is a lift to fix the proportions, but on a wide and round fenders it’s like cutting off the top of a large circle which requires a tire with almost the same diameter as the circle the fender shape came from
Sponsored