Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's very workable. Pack enough stuff to be comfortable, and get yourself out of probable trouble, then have a good time. Ideally, travel in a group with at least one other vehicle.

The only multi-day, point-to-point trail run (overlanding?) I've done was in a stock GMC Canyon. The only mod I did was skid plates (used them a lot!) I had not even taken the side steps off, so they inevitably got bent, and scrapped after that trip. Point is, I had fun.

I will add though, it was less stressful taking the truck off road after a 3.5" lift, and going up a tire size. Less belly dragging, and less feeling like I needed a spotter for every rocky bit.

_nc_ohc=c-vuUi6acn0AX_mxf40&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg
This is what I like to see. A few overlanding threads have people asking if they need the Sasquatch to go overlanding.... You just need wheels and a motor and some skill. Certain trails might need more but you don't need a monster truck to go camping.
Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You don't need a monster truck to go camping.
You don't always need a $2,000+ roof top tent either. Some days it seems like Instagram / YouTube / Facebook / Forum of your Choice are out to convince you that you need a $65k vehicle with at least $45k in mods before you can use the hashtag #overland

lol

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You don't always need a $2,000+ roof top tent either. Some days it seems like Instagram / YouTube / Facebook / Forum of your Choice are out to convince you that you need a $65k vehicle with at least $45k in mods before you can use the hashtag #overland

lol
I bashed my 2wd Ranger and my 1974 Trillium fiberglass trailer down some trails to camp this weekend. Another guy along the trail had a built-up LR4 with all the bells and whistles couldn't believe I made it. Funny what some folks think is required.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I bashed my 2wd Ranger and my 1974 Trillium fiberglass trailer down some trails to camp this weekend. Another guy along the trail had a built-up LR4 with all the bells and whistles couldn't believe I made it. Funny what some folks think is required.
I've seen a minivan cautiously, but successfully make it down some fairly rough roads / trails, that I would consider only suitable for vehicles with high clearance. They admitted they did a fair bit of scraping, but they made it to the lake for a swim!

I understand some people have high budgets, and do some trips with their vehicles that minivans, 2WD Rangers with trailers, and 4WD Canyons are not well suited for. Those vehicles will also be used for trips that don't push those built vehicles to their limits, which may cause them to look like overkill at times.

Some trails DO require rock sliders, winches, and a variety of other upgrades. But, you can still get a taste for overlanding with a vehicle like a Bronco on 32s. Once you get a few trips under your belt on some easier routes, you can decide what upgrades might make the experience more enjoyable for you, and what upgrades you can do without.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Diamond 4-door
Advanced 4x4
Sasquatch
Steel Rear Bumper & Heavy Duty Modular Front Bumper w/Brush Guard
Upgraded Bash Plates & Rock Rails
Dual Tops (Modular Hard Top Body Color-Painted + Soft)
Marine Grade Vinyl w/rubberized floors
Mid Package

Sponsored

uspopo

Badlands
First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands 2D
2.3/10sp auto
High/Lux package
Roof rack
LED light bar
Tow Hitch Receiver/Harness

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My $.02 worth!
Black Diamond 4DR
2.7L/10 speed Auto w/Trail Control and Trail Turn
Front and Rear Steel Bumpers
Rear Locking Differential
Mid Package
Tow Package
All available tech upgrades
Device mounting rack for the dash
Hard top w/roof rack
Auxiliary switches
17" Black Steel Wheels because I love the retro look and Ronnie Dahl says they are the best!
(His video comparing steel, aluminum and alloy is very convincing)
Probable upgrade of tires to 33" Falken AT3
Garmin Inreach Mini so my wife can follow the adventure!

Buckin_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice thread topic OP. Your build is basically what I'll be doing save for a few differences.

I'm going with
2 door
Badlands
Sasquatch
Lux Package
Roof Rack
Keeping Vinyl (light color)

Think 35s are not good for true overlanding as no one in Australia, Africa, most of South America (Trans America Trail), run tires that big. If you go down a tire, would be close to impossible to replace. Lowers overall range of vehicle due to high rolling resistance, 35s are more for rock crawling, not overlanding.

I plan to mostly rock crawl lightly and do wooded trails since I live in the Deep South, but do plan to overland the vehicle out West and to Colorado after a year or so. 2.7 is for trips mostly not fast wheeling. I can live with the trade offs of rolling the Sasquatch and know the MPG will be likely only in the mid teens.

Will stick with the 2 door as there will only be an additional passenger with me on trails and will use the roof rack for extra storage and my Maxtraxx, etc.
The F-150 gets 20 city and 26 highway (4x2). Idk what the weight difference is, but it should be pretty similar with the 2 door and 35s. With the 4x4 transfer case my drop into the high teens.

WkndEpic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Badlands 4dr will serve as my platform for my next overland build and will replace my current 2019 Toyota Tacoma overland rig. It will consist of various factory and aftermarket accessories/options to support my outdoor adventures.

Factory
Badlands 4DR
33" A/T tires
2.7L/Auto
Lux package
Hard top
4.70 Gear ratio *fingers crossed that this will be offered as a stand alone option

Aftermarket
2" Suspension lift
Bead lock wheels
37" M/T tires
Steel front and rear bumpers
Winch
Rock sliders
Ditch, Fog, and light bars
Coms/Nav
Onboard air
4.88 Gear ratio *if factory option isn't available

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Badlands 4dr will serve as my platform for my next overland build and will replace my current 2019 Toyota Tacoma overland rig. It will consist of various factory and aftermarket accessories/options to support my outdoor adventures.

Factory
Badlands 4DR
33" A/T tires
2.7L/Auto
Lux package
Hard top
4.70 Gear ratio *fingers crossed that this will be offered as a stand alone option

Aftermarket
2" Suspension lift
Bead lock wheels
37" M/T tires
Steel front and rear bumpers
Winch
Rock sliders
Ditch, Fog, and light bars
Coms/Nav
Onboard air
4.88 Gear ratio *if factory option isn't available
No Sasqutch Package?

Sponsored

WkndEpic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No Sasqutch Package?
Adding the Sas package will be a game time decision. I like the idea of keeping the stock 33" A/T tires for the ski season and upgrading to 37" tires/wheels. That being said, the factory equipped 4.70 gears is a strong selling point. In either scenario, I'm purchasing another set of wheel/tires.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

lol
this is exactly why I think mainstream over landing is BS. Thru hikers are on trail for months with 20ish lbs on their back. Yet an overlander needs to max out their 1300lb payload to car camp for the weekend on a forest service road.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this is exactly why I think mainstream over landing is BS. Thru hikers are on trail for months with 20ish lbs on their back. Yet an overlander needs to max out their 1300lb payload to car camp for the weekend on a forest service road.
Yep. My life doesn't allow for thru hiking at the moment (small kids), but I have backpacked for 10 days and really enjoyed it. I was carrying closer to 30-35 lbs, but nonetheless it was a great experience.

My wife and I went camping and we had supplies, like we were leaving for a month... it was 5 days. LOL

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i think stock badlands with hardtop has the best overall package for overlanding. i would rather have the 33's than 35's for clearance and articulation. has all the goat modes i want cus i wont be "rock crawling" but the badlands will handle anything you would do in overlanding. of course, any of them will be fine for overlanding, but that has all the options i would add otherwise. rather have baja mode than rock crawl mode that's on the black diamond.
Sponsored