John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Today on the Bronco6G forum we are going to argue about 2dr vs 4dr, 2.7 vs 2.3, wheel size, tire size, trim accent colors, ADM and allocation but the one thing we all agree on is that Ford did a great job combining the classic retro look of the early Bronco with a modern off-roader. One of the main people we have to thank for this is McKinley Thompson Jr. who some call the Jackie Robinson of automotive design. In 1953, fresh out of the military, McKinley entered a drawing contest put on by Motor Trend magazine titled, "From Dream to Drawing Board to..." He was one of five winners and earned a scholarship to Art Center College of Design in California and in 1956 was hired by Ford Motor Company. In 1963 he drew the first Bronco. He was not the lead Bronco designer (By that time he had moved on to the Mustang, Thunderbird and GT40 racer) but his early drawings greatly shaped the Broncos most of us are still waiting on. So today on MLK Holiday I suggest we all grab an adult beverage of our choice and I propose a toast to "Mac" Thompson who in 1963, nailed it!

Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever Drafti
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever Best drawi
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever 3
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever 2
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Beautiful 2-door Bronco design. Where is his 4-door design?

Oh, wait, that's right. :ROFLMAO:

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Today on the Bronco6G forum we are going to argue about 2dr vs 4dr, 2.7 vs 2.3, wheel size, tire size, trim accent colors, ADM and allocation but the one thing we all agree on is that Ford did a great job combining the classic retro look of the early Bronco with a modern off-roader. One of the main people we have to thank for this is McKinley Thompson Jr. who some call the Jackie Robinson of automotive design. In 1953, fresh out of the military, McKinley entered a drawing contest put on by Motor Trend magazine titled, "From Dream to Drawing Board to..." He was one of five winners and earned a scholarship to Art Center College of Design in California and in 1956 was hired by Ford Motor Company. In 1963 he drew the first Bronco. He was not the lead Bronco designer (By that time he had moved on to the Mustang, Thunderbird and GT40 racer) but his early drawings greatly shaped the Broncos most of us are still waiting on. So today on MLK Holiday I suggest we all grab an adult beverage of our choice and I propose a toast to "Mac" Thompson who in 1963, nailed it!
Ford Bronco The Jackie Robinson of automotive design who helped shape the Bronco forever 2
🍻

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Drafting.png
Best drawing.png
3.png
2.png
Thanks for posting this. As a former Wrangler owner turned Bronco owner, it was the retro design that drew me to the Bronco. I appreciate the modern interpretation of Mr. McKinley Thompson's design. I agree that this is one thing Ford got right, (look at the new Chevy Blazer and you realize how well Ford did with the Bronco design).

Last edited:

Sponsored

MJedi209

Black Diamond
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopars
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To Mac!!! 🍻 Also thanks to the OP for sharing this wonderful lesson of history.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Cheers, Mac!! Thnx for posting, @DC9atnight

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome of you to start this thread @DC9atnight!

Cheers to the man who kicked off this journey and to all he had to overcome to get us here! To the trailblazers everywhere who show us the better path is together. 🍻

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting this. As a former Wrangler owner turned Bronco owner, it was the retro design that drew me to the Bronco. I appreciate the modern interpretation of Mr. McKinley Thompson's design. I agree that this is one thing Ford got right, (look at the new Chevy Blazer and you realize how well Ford did with the Bronco design).
Mac definitely crushed it with the Bronco. And don't get me started on the new Blazer. As a lifetime Chevy guy, it's downright embarrassing.

P's B

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very interesting, thank you for the post! 🍻

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes I agree , the 66-77 Bronco is legendary . I hope Generation 6 will also be looked back on and appreciated .
Sponsored