Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A fascinating and accurate retelling of the last days of Bronco as delivered by Ford salesman Jack Baruth who worked the floor, slinging that metal in 1996.

Snippet from the article you should read:

" In 1996, Ford sold about 28,000 Broncos. This was the same year the Explorer finally cracked 400,000 units, the vast majority of them XLT trim or above, and each one carrying a healthy markup over the Rangers from which they were unashamedly derived.

The Ford dealership where Rodney and I worked sixty-five hours a week to earn thirty grand a year stocked at least four Medium Willow Green Explorers with the XLT 945A Popular Equipment Package (PEP 945A) at all times and sometimes even a Medium Willow Green Explorer XLT with the lowbrow, cloth-seat PEP 941A, but we did not, I repeat, we did not stock the Bronco. In fact, during my year at the dealership, I only saw two brand-new Broncos come on the lot.

There was a reason for that."

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/10/no-fixed-abode-last-days-bronco/

FWIW: here is a Medium Willow Green Explorer circa 1996.

Ford Bronco The Last Days Of Bronco (1996 edition) 5088a276f4c0673149fcdc5b400a3a3dd3046aee-2000[1]
Sponsored

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well that's just a sad article all the way around!

I get it though! Makes sense! I remember when I was just in my 20s (2004/5) seeing used 1996 Bronco. You'd find them on used lots about 7k. I fell in love with a green eddie bauer. I pulled a horse trailer though. Gooseneck so had to have a truck!

Last edited:

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Man, the shit I would do to that general manager. I hope Mike found another job.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A fascinating and accurate retelling of the last days of Bronco as delivered by Ford salesman Jack Baruth who worked the floor, slinging that metal in 1996.

Snippet from the article you should read:

" In 1996, Ford sold about 28,000 Broncos. This was the same year the Explorer finally cracked 400,000 units, the vast majority of them XLT trim or above, and each one carrying a healthy markup over the Rangers from which they were unashamedly derived.

The Ford dealership where Rodney and I worked sixty-five hours a week to earn thirty grand a year stocked at least four Medium Willow Green Explorers with the XLT 945A Popular Equipment Package (PEP 945A) at all times and sometimes even a Medium Willow Green Explorer XLT with the lowbrow, cloth-seat PEP 941A, but we did not, I repeat, we did not stock the Bronco. In fact, during my year at the dealership, I only saw two brand-new Broncos come on the lot.

There was a reason for that."

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/10/no-fixed-abode-last-days-bronco/

FWIW: here is a Medium Willow Green Explorer circa 1996.

Ford Bronco The Last Days Of Bronco (1996 edition) 5088a276f4c0673149fcdc5b400a3a3dd3046aee-2000[1]
Not wrong.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I still want a 96 Eddie Bauer 351 if I could find one in decent shape under 200k miles.

Side note, I still have and love my 97 V8 Explorer. Turns our rear seat leg room is basically identical to the new 4door Bronco.

Sponsored

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jeep was wise enough to market their product to that exact demographic and looked what happened.... they owned the market for over 25 years. That GM Reminds me of Don Beebe (or at least how that weasel was represented) in “Ford vs Ferrari”.

Sponsored

ac360

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Read that article when it first came out. It was a good re-read.

Although not Bronco related, the author of that TTAC article (the "No Fix Adobe" was a weekly series, IIRC) was good at bringing out an emotional response from his readers. His articles consistently generated the most comments. If you are into American cars of 70's to 90', he has a blog website (by his name) with regular personal and guest postings on cars, opinions, Made In USA stuffs. I don't know him and I don't agree with many of his opinions, but I enjoy reading his writings.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

American car design. The Japanese designers were crushing it in the late 80's early-mid 90's
It looks boring now, but the Lexus SC400 was pretty mind-blowing when it came out. Changed auto design forever.