Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where would you mount that thing?
Good question. Possibly on the dash or on the passenger side of the center console.

I like the smaller one that's configured in a way to let you remote mount the "brain". I have it in my subaru, it's like it's not there until I plug in the handset.
MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA - Midland Radio
Yeah, I mentioned the MXT575, which is the 50w version of that coming this summer. That's what I'm holding out for. Although the control unit is massive compared to the 275. But it still could be hidden I think. It's going to be hard to figure out where to mount this plus a ham radio.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 15w tiny one has been perfect.

If someone wants 50w that’s a specific need and they’ll know what antenna to match up with it but for typical caravan or trail use the 15w is just fine. It’s been more than adequate.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

plus a ham radio.
Mmm Hmmm , one of those guys.

Just joking, all I know about HAM radios is .... they are supposedly very desirable offroad & in extreme terrain.

I have been known to have a CB in my vehicles occasionally. I find the idea of installing a quality one... interesting.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive also been wondering,
What would be a good location to mount the CB whip on the new Bronco?

I recall reading that the all metal hard top on the 1G Broncos made for a great "ground plane" (I think it was called).
Not to be, with the MIC.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good question. Possibly on the dash or on the passenger side of the center console.

Yeah, I mentioned the MXT575, which is the 50w version of that coming this summer. That's what I'm holding out for. Although the control unit is massive compared to the 275. But it still could be hidden I think. It's going to be hard to figure out where to mount this plus a ham radio.
There's no convenient spot for one of these on the dash or either side of the console.

My recommendation would be remote mount under one of the front seats with a hand set plug-in at the front of the console under the controls.

I photo-edited one into this console, not prefect edit job but you get the picture and it's probably pretty close to scale. The blue dashed outline is just me playing with the outline which wouldn't be there, the only thing you'd notice is the silver metal that's part of the female plug.
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641936420730

Use this extension for the remote install,
Amazon.com: CERRXIAN RJ45 Male to Female LAN Ethernet Network Cat 5e Panel Mount Cable (Black)(2m) : Electronics
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641936978536

When not in use the mic/handset would be stowed inside the console or glove box. BTW, replacement mic/handset is only $50.
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641936682753

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just looked up the 575 and I don't think it's that much bigger,
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641937620255

specifications say 7.3" x 5.5” x 1.5” thick. This would fit definitely fit under the front seat.

The MXT275 that I have is 5" x 4.2" x 1.4" thick.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's no convenient spot for one of these on the dash or either side of the console.

My recommendation would be remote mount under one of the front seats with a hand set plug-in at the front of the console under the controls.

I photo-edited one into this console, not prefect edit job but you get the picture and it's probably pretty close to scale. The blue dashed outline is just me playing with the outline which wouldn't be there, the only thing you'd notice is the silver metal that's part of the female plug.
People are already mounting ham radios on the side of the console so this should be fine I think? There's a lot more room in the Bronco than in a Jeep and it's done all the time in Jeeps. Seems like the dash would be fine too on a rail. I wouldn't put it under the seat because it's not waterproof.

I think I'll wait for the 575 and put it behind the steering column or glove box. Or maybe inside the center console.

I really like your handset plug ideas. 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just looked up the 575 and I don't think it's that much bigger,
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641937620255

specifications say 7.3" x 5.5” x 1.5” thick. This would fit definitely fit under the front seat.

The MXT275 that I have is 5" x 4.2" x 1.4" thick.
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 5.26.41 PM

From left to right: 575, 400, 275. Pretty significant difference, at least visually. Particularly when space is at a premium.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 5.26.41 PM

From left to right: 575, 400, 275. Pretty significant difference, at least visually. Particularly when space is at a premium.
That will fit under the seat.

Mounting the unit on the sides of the console is going to clutter it, and it's going to look ugly and unorganized with the all those wires. Don't do it!

If you don't like under the seat then look for other locations such as under the dash behind or beside the glove box, etc.

I'm wondering how much dead space is under the console or behind the plastic panels at the rear fenders?

Out of sight is better for theft prevention. With the remote mount the worse is someone steals the mic/handset which only costs $50.

OP
OP
BroncoKong Jr.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That will fit under the seat.

Mounting the unit on the sides of the console is going to clutter it, and it's going to look ugly and unorganized with the all those wires. Don't do it!

If you don't like under the seat then look for other locations such as under the dash behind or beside the glove box, etc.

I'm wondering how much dead space is under the console or behind the plastic panels at the rear fenders?

Out of sight is better for theft prevention. With the remote mount the worse is someone steals the mic/handset which only costs $50.
Yeah, like I said, I'd try behind the steering column or glove box (or under?). I wouldn't personally put it on the side of the center console, but many people do. Under the seat is a no-go for me. There has been at least one ham install on here behind the steering column. So there's some room. Remains to be seen if there's enough room for the 575. But I need space for a ham radio and a GMRS. I don't own either yet (just Has) so I guess we'll see in the future. By the time I'm ready for installs I'm sure plenty of people will have done it by then. Agreed about wire clutter. I'd hate that lol

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I found couple other jacks that might be better than I linked earlier. With these you can use a regular cat5e or cat6 cable which we all have lots of in our IT closets!

The round hole is easier to make than a square hole. When get around to do this in the bronco I'll probably do this instead of my previous method.
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641958619307

https://www.amazon.com/RJ-45-Ethernet-Round-Adapter-Adafruit/dp/B07QJV1YQJ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=22KQQENR9JCYO&keywords=RJ-45+Ethernet+Round+Panel+socket&qid=1641957636&sprefix=rj-45+ethernet+round+panel+socket,aps,239&sr=8-8#customerReviews

Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641958983049

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153148972757?hash=item23a863ded5:g:01gAAOSwrORbfRZp

Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1641959822375

https://www.amazon.com/icepc-DIY-In...t=&hvlocphy=9031619&hvtargid=pla-908788584638
Sponsored

Last edited: