EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Austrailian's have these remote installs dialed, they even have RJ45 switch blanks for toyota's, nissans and mitsubishi's, so far none for bronco!
Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1642367353354

Ford Bronco The Midland MXT500 50w GMRS mobile radio is finally out 1642367434473

Sponsored

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's a great video that TrailRecon made installing a Midland MXT275 in a Bronco.
I disagree, it's wasteful to mount it inside the glove box and shouldn't have mounted it directly to the battery.

I wouldn't follow that video. For a supposedly smart guy he did a lame install!

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I disagree, it's wasteful to mount it inside the glove box and shouldn't have mounted it directly to the battery.

I wouldn't follow that video. For a supposedly smart guy he did a lame install!
I agree about the mounting location but why not directly to the battery? Unless he didn't have it fused?

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree about the mounting location but why not directly to the battery? Unless he didn't have it fused?
He wired direct to the battery and I believe it was without a relay. He could have tapped into the wires from the cigarette lighter without a relay or powered the relay off the lighter and then came off the battery. For a radio either way would be OK.

If wired directly to the battery without a relay he has to physically turn the switch off. If you forget to turn it off it will drain the battery.

Out in the woods or in the desert you don't want a dead battery!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If wired directly to the battery without a relay he has to physically turn the switch off. If you forget to turn it off it will drain the battery.
I'm about to install my mxt275 and I was wondering about this, given that all of the controls are in the handheld mic. Does anyone know if the control unit still draws power when the mic is unplugged?
Sponsored