Sponsored

The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling)

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
This only applies to Bronco's with rock rails....
Seeing as the rails have thru-bolted end caps on them... What if someone came up with an idea for an easily mounted/unmounted "flap caps" to mount behind the front wheels into the rock rail opening, to protect the body from rock damage on gravel roads.
Something that blends nicely into the fender flare and comes down and out JUST enough.
And once you hut the hardtop again, pop 'em off and throw your caps back in.
Maybe use a wing nut or just a press-fit pin...?
Yes, this was born outta the fact that contemporary mud flaps are both expensive and ugly as fuck!
Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a great idea.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
why don't you remove the front cap from the rails, cut the rails down so that cheap mudflaps fit fine, then put the cap on the shortened rail? Seems a bunch easier and cheaper (plus if you rip them up, you can get replacements for cheap)

The odds of me (at least) that I will have a three inch wide rock tall enough to damage the vehicle when coming off an obstacle are about 0

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting idea for sure!
I don't mind the "look" of mudflaps, not pretty but usually just blend in and disappear (unless you have shiny Bronco or the chrome horse on them...), so I just ordered the overpriced but great quality Gatorback ones w/o any of that bling, for front only. Still pricy at $300 but cheaper than fixing paint and cheaper than PPF which I'd not trust to protect against flying rocks anyway. Plus it only lasts for so many years.

Would have to be a pretty strong "arm" to stick in the rail and not break off, but certainly should be possible.

Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if it could even be 3D printed....
🤔
Most (affordable) materials that you can 3d print will crack in the cold and turn into spaghetti in the heat.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what I'm planning to do, either 3d printed or using kydex. Just something to fill the gap between the rails and the flares.

I'm getting the Rockslide rails, which will give a smaller gap to fill, but a solution should be doable with any rail/flare setup.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
why don't you remove the front cap from the rails, cut the rails down so that cheap mudflaps fit fine, then put the cap on the shortened rail? Seems a bunch easier and cheaper (plus if you rip them up, you can get replacements for cheap)

The odds of me (at least) that I will have a three inch wide rock tall enough to damage the vehicle when coming off an obstacle are about 0
I'm wondering why you even have rails then... 🤷
I've seen it posted here. I'm not cutting shit off my truck and I am NOT putting generic mudflaps on it. Lol

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
This is what I'm planning to do, either 3d printed or using kydex. Just something to fill the gap between the rails and the flares.

I'm getting the Rockslide rails, which will give a smaller gap to fill, but a solution should be doable with any rail/flare setup.
Use to work with Kydex all the time in the aircraft biz... The stuff rocks!

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most (affordable) materials that you can 3d print will crack in the cold and turn into spaghetti in the heat.
Prototype with the cheap shit... When you have it nailed down, ABS print it 🤷

Sponsored
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting idea for sure!
I don't mind the "look" of mudflaps, not pretty but usually just blend in and disappear (unless you have shiny Bronco or the chrome horse on them...), so I just ordered the overpriced but great quality Gatorback ones w/o any of that bling, for front only. Still pricy at $300 but cheaper than fixing paint and cheaper than PPF which I'd not trust to protect against flying rocks anyway. Plus it only lasts for so many years.

Would have to be a pretty strong "arm" to stick in the rail and not break off, but certainly should be possible.
It could be made robust... Maybe a riveted on lower rubber flap to give it some "give". I'm only thinking about using then in gravel roads. Otherwise, I'd pull them off.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It could be made robust... Maybe a riveted on lower rubber flap to give it some "give". I'm only thinking about using then in gravel roads. Otherwise, I'd pull them off.
I think it's a really good idea worth exploring further. I don't get much in wet roads here, so something I could just attach quickly when going off road and then toss in the back might just make me take the expensive flaps off and sell them. You could experiment just with some card board to see if it's really an option, then go on with 3D design if you can do that or know someone.

And I like thinking outside the box like this, such an obvious but nobody thought of it idea.

I've only been able to do very little off roading in Anza Borrego during a trip down south over xmas, I had to try Baja mode, but the pling pling pling of little rocks was not much fun, which is why I now ordered the Gatorbacks available from others than Ford and without 'look at me' bling logos. If a better solution comes along, I'll be happy to make the change.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it's a really good idea worth exploring further. I don't get much in wet roads here, so something I could just attach quickly when going off road and then toss in the back might just make me take the expensive flaps off and sell them. You could experiment just with some card board to see if it's really an option, then go on with 3D design if you can do that or know someone.

And I like thinking outside the box like this, such an obvious but nobody thought of it idea.

I've only been able to do very little off roading in Anza Borrego during a trip down south over xmas, I had to try Baja mode, but the pling pling pling of little rocks was not much fun, which is why I now ordered the Gatorbacks available from others than Ford and without 'look at me' bling logos. If a better solution comes along, I'll be happy to make the change.
I know I'd start with pulling the cap out and getting dimensions off it 👍🏻
Thanks Ford
I know THIS was enough for me to try and come up with some solution...
Turn up the volume! (especially once I cross the paved bridge)

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm very happy with my mud flaps and my bronco stays safe from the tires throwing debris back entirely now. I'm sure anyone behind me appreciates them too.

Last edited:

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model