Sponsored

The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling)

gmac

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Interesting idea!
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the non-branded gatorbacks for around $800 CAD, it's still stupidly expensive, but cheaper than paint and pretty comparable to PPF.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the non-branded gatorbacks for around $800 CAD, it's still stupidly expensive, but cheaper than paint and pretty comparable to PPF.
I'd be worried about then getting stolen!

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

why don't you remove the front cap from the rails, cut the rails down so that cheap mudflaps fit fine, then put the cap on the shortened rail? Seems a bunch easier and cheaper (plus if you rip them up, you can get replacements for cheap)

The odds of me (at least) that I will have a three inch wide rock tall enough to damage the vehicle when coming off an obstacle are about 0
That's exactly what I did. The people on this forum crack me up. Part of offroading is fabricating your own stuff.
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) 20211226_164356
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) 20211226_165635

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's exactly what I did. The people on this forum crack me up. Part of offroading is fabricating your own stuff.
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) 20211226_165635
Two thumbs up for the orange Hot Wheels track and nostalgia flashback. 👍👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its beyond rational thought that anyone would pay 300+ for a piece of plastic,but I never thought all of America would walk around with bottles of water.
Walking around with bottled water is no biggie... Buying water at the grocery store is fucking obsurbed lol

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands '07 Grand Prix GXP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much in total was cut off? this was the plan i was working with too. DId you cut them while they were on the rig still or pull the rails off?

Biltwild

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan Titan Pro-4x , 2021 Ford Bronco 4Dr BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This only applies to Bronco's with rock rails....
Seeing as the rails have thru-bolted end caps on them... What if someone came up with an idea for an easily mounted/unmounted "flap caps" to mount behind the front wheels into the rock rail opening, to protect the body from rock damage on gravel roads.
Something that blends nicely into the fender flare and comes down and out JUST enough.
And once you hut the hardtop again, pop 'em off and throw your caps back in.
Maybe use a wing nut or just a press-fit pin...?
Yes, this was born outta the fact that contemporary mud flaps are both expensive and ugly as fuck!
I have been thinking about this exact same thing. My idea is to slide over the end of the rail like a boot with flap. Here is a photo of a test idea. I think 3d printing something like this would be great! Thoughts?
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) B6ED46E3-8008-4107-ADE1-370979668718
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) 125C41E8-8A76-4FCB-8595-182926F16676

Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) B651D0AE-0E3D-44C4-97EE-7252D3560E4C

Sponsored

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
why don't you remove the front cap from the rails, cut the rails down so that cheap mudflaps fit fine, then put the cap on the shortened rail? Seems a bunch easier and cheaper (plus if you rip them up, you can get replacements for cheap)

The odds of me (at least) that I will have a three inch wide rock tall enough to damage the vehicle when coming off an obstacle are about 0
Has anyone see the thread where someone did exactly that? There were pictures - they cut down the rock rails and reminded the end caps so they could use less expensive mud flaps. It looked great.

Oh, I guess you saw it! LOL

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been thinking about this exact same thing. My idea is to slide over the end of the rail like a boot with flap. Here is a photo of a test idea. I think 3d printing something like this would be great! Thoughts?
Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) B651D0AE-0E3D-44C4-97EE-7252D3560E4C

I would love to see this become reality.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much in total was cut off? this was the plan i was working with too. DId you cut them while they were on the rig still or pull the rails off?
I removed the rock rails to make them easier to trim. I ended up trimming 2" off, then spray painted the ends black. I drilled new holes for the end cap to be secured. Pretty simple.

There is a thread where someone else did the same thing. He showed how to setup a compound miter saw to get the correct angles.

I just measured 2" around and cutoff with a grinder with a cutoff wheel. Then cleaned the cuts with a file.