Sponsored

The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling)

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cutting the rock rails & putting the caps back on was a pretty easy job. On a 1-10 scale it was barely a 2. I used a grinder & finished with a sawzall.

191CF37B-20BC-4E39-89F1-560C79706703.jpeg

1260C3A3-E140-4590-ACD2-1C2D0EA3AAD0.jpeg

D2478C02-3148-4A4E-B70D-85D7B97D7FFE.jpeg

7036AD54-7730-46B7-B0F1-D22265F52727.jpeg
Is yours a non-sas Badlands? If so which part number mudflap did you order and did you do any in the rear? Thanks.
Sponsored

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is yours a non-sas Badlands? If so which part number mudflap did you order and did you do any in the rear? Thanks.
. Yes. It’s a non-squash Badlands. I’m sorry I don’t have the part #. I just bought it on line from Ford for $45 I think. I just ordered the one for the base Bronco thinking I would cut thru the mud flap. Then I saw a couple guys on this forum cutting the rock rail and thought it looked so much better.
Didn’t put any on the rear.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll mention this again as it seems to have gone unnoticed. The mudflats don't do much to prevent rocks from flinging on these rigs. I installed a set as you can see in my avatar and I still ended up with rocks inside the coach of the rig while driving the one gravel road I've driven on since I took possession of her. Fortunately I had no doors on it and the rocks went inside instead of on the doors.

It's a waste of time and looks horrible to boot.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This only applies to Bronco's with rock rails....
Seeing as the rails have thru-bolted end caps on them... What if someone came up with an idea for an easily mounted/unmounted "flap caps" to mount behind the front wheels into the rock rail opening, to protect the body from rock damage on gravel roads.
Something that blends nicely into the fender flare and comes down and out JUST enough.
And once you hut the hardtop again, pop 'em off and throw your caps back in.
Maybe use a wing nut or just a press-fit pin...?
Yes, this was born outta the fact that contemporary mud flaps are both expensive and ugly as fuck!
If I understand your thread, this is what Gatorback flaps do. They fit around the rock rail, they have a lower flap that can be removed when on the rocks and put back on for the road. ???

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I understand your thread, this is what Gatorback flaps do. They fit around the rock rail, they have a lower flap that can be removed when on the rocks and put back on for the road. ???
Yes, this is how they work.

Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll mention this again as it seems to have gone unnoticed. The mudflats don't do much to prevent rocks from flinging on these rigs. I installed a set as you can see in my avatar and I still ended up with rocks inside the coach of the rig while driving the one gravel road I've driven on since I took possession of her. Fortunately I had no doors on it and the rocks went inside instead of on the doors.

It's a waste of time and looks horrible to boot.
Stock goodyear Territory's? They excel at grabbing those little pebbles. I went BFG KO2, but they haven't balanced well (have already warranteed 3 out of service for being square). They did reduce the small gravel flinging by a massive amount. I hear good things about Ridge Grapplers too.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stock goodyear Territory's? They excel at grabbing those little pebbles. I went BFG KO2, but they haven't balanced well (have already warranteed 3 out of service for being square). They did reduce the small gravel flinging by a massive amount. I hear good things about Ridge Grapplers too.
Yeah these Territories are not good with rocks. They have great traction though and I really wanted to keep them but I will have to swap them out. I'm thinking Mickey Thompson Baja Boss or Cooper STT Pro. I don't care for Ridge Grapplers. They're heavy as sin and not good at all in the wet once they've got a year or two on them. They're a 3/4 ton truck tire not meant for these rigs.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah these Territories are not good with rocks. They have great traction though and I really wanted to keep them but I will have to swap them out. I'm thinking Mickey Thompson Baja Boss or Cooper STT Pro. I don't care for Ridge Grapplers. They're heavy as sin and not good at all in the wet once they've got a year or two on them. They're a 3/4 ton truck tire not meant for these rigs.
Thanks for that data point, the Mickey's are on my top 3 list too if you can find them. If you swap let us know what you think. I'm kinda devestated by the KO2 quality on this set. My previous experiences were great.

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for that data point, the Mickey's are on my top 3 list too if you can find them. If you swap let us know what you think. I'm kinda devestated by the KO2 quality on this set. My previous experiences were great.
This is the only reason I dropped BFG from the list. Not just your experience but others as well.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the only reason I dropped BFG from the list. Not just your experience but others as well.
I'm pretty sure my Squatched Bronco has some 'not so round' tires as well. Balance seems fine... But definitely a wub-wub sound going on at certain speeds. All part of the segment I assume 🤷

Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm pretty sure my Squatched Bronco has some 'not so round' tires as well. Balance seems fine... But definitely a wub-wub sound going on at certain speeds. All part of the segment I assume 🤷
My OE Goodyear’s did that too, with what I’d describe as a high frequency buzz in the steering wheel at 3000 miles. But they were smooth and vibration free at high speeds. The KO2’s will shake the paint off above 80.

wanna1

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 2022 Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll never own another set of BFGs. My last set literally came apart due to belt separation. All 4 of them!!!

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - SAS w/ LUX Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like WeatherTech has them now. I called as well, spoke with a representative, to confirm fitment with rock rails and sasquatch. The photo is a "stock" photo however and does not show a front flap or a front flap mounted on a Bronco. I rolled the dice, given the representative said these are correct for Sasquatch w/ rail. We'll see what arrives.

Ford Bronco The million dollar mudflap fix (for Squatch rock fling) 1645108614345

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Getting rid of running boards soon. Until my PPF appointment happens I did the following "duct tape" job with $25 ford any fit mud flaps and just put hardware into factory push pins. Besides when really close up don't look too bad. Hope a real Aftermarket solution that isn't $500 comes out soon.

20220216_205814.jpg

20220216_205833.jpg
Sponsored