Sponsored

The OJ Factor... Good or Bad?

Ecobeasttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
We all know the story and I think due to the fact that the Bronco went out of production 2 years after the infamous OJ freeway chase most people assume he tarnished the name and was the reason the Bronco was discontinued, but how true is that?

There's some interesting stuff in this article including some surprising hard facts that Ford actually sold 7,000 more Broncos in the year following the OJ Simpson chase than it did the previous year.

Was the O.J. Simpson Trial to Blame for the Demise of the Ford Bronco?

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Earlier this week, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story aired to critical acclaim. It is shaping up to be one of the more talked-about series going into 2016 as we get a glimpse of the “Trial of the Century” which has not yet been seen. And we get to see contemporary actors go through all the most memorable moments of the case. It calls to mind one of the most iconic parts of the case- the White Ford Bronco.

The Ford Bronco had been around since 1966, starting life as a plucky, short wheelbase, 2-door SUV. It was a fun go-anywhere personal camping vehicle, and people responded, with sales of the first-generation model (pictured below) topping out at 26,300 in 1973– not bad for a niche vehicle.

But as SUVs grew more mainstream (thanks, in-part, to the popularity of the Bronco), their actual size did too. Vehicles like the International Scout II coming on the scene in 1971 and Dodge Ramcharger arriving in 1974. They were larger and had more creature comforts, and to respond, Ford unleashed a bigger Bronco in 1978. It was based on the Ford F100 chassis and only lasted two years, giving way to the 1980 model. Also based on the F-Series, the ’80 would be the foundation of the Bronco everyone would know and love.

Through the 1980s, Bronco sales cruised. Between 1985 and 1989, sales rose from 52,281 to a high of 62,563. Following a steep drop in 1990 and 1991, which saw sales fall to nearly 25,000, the Bronco was slowly starting to regain ground. Enter Orenthal James Simpson.

But as SUVs grew more mainstream (thanks, in-part, to the popularity of the Bronco), their actual size did too. Vehicles like the International Scout II coming on the scene in 1971 and Dodge Ramcharger arriving in 1974. They were larger and had more creature comforts, and to respond, Ford unleashed a bigger Bronco in 1978. It was based on the Ford F100 chassis and only lasted two years, giving way to the 1980 model. Also based on the F-Series, the ’80 would be the foundation of the Bronco everyone would know and love.

Through the 1980s, Bronco sales cruised. Between 1985 and 1989, sales rose from 52,281 to a high of 62,563. Following a steep drop in 1990 and 1991, which saw sales fall to nearly 25,000, the Bronco was slowly starting to regain ground. Enter Orenthal James Simpson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUyWS6j5rS4

One of the more interesting aspects of the coverage that day was many people were tuned into Game 5 of the NBA Finals. They aired both the game and the chase, going for the then-cutting-edge screen-in-screen.

There were some insane things that happened during that chase. For one thing, Domino’s claimed that “record sales” were made during the chase. Also, Peter Jennings got pranked by an apparent Howard Stern fan on live television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmoqbR3gto

Cowlings drove Simpson to his home in Brentwood, and finally parked, where O.J. eventually went inside. A SWAT team spread out around the property, waiting for Simpson to make a wrong move. He was in the house for about 45 minutes before he surrendered.

The “Trial of the Century” was still to come, but the role of the Bronco came to a close. In the Bronco, police found $8,750 in cash, a fake beard and mustache, a passport, and a loaded .357 Magnum.

But did the infamous chase mean the beginning of the end for the Bronco? Not like you might think. Sales of two-door SUVs were on the decline in the mid 1990s, as automakers were turning to more versatile four-door SUVs. Chevy made the four-door Tahoe along with the 2-door Blazer, and the Ford Explorer sales were soaring. The full-size, four-door Ford Expedition would arrive in 1996, and the Bronco would be phased out that same year.

If anything, the exposure from the Simpson chase may have given the Bronco a sales boost. The final sales figure for 1994 was 37,367, which was a nearly 7,000-unit jump from the year before, and the best sales year of the vehicle’s final five-year stretch. The exposure probably helped, but the Bronco could not outrun the fact that more practical vehicles of the same size could be found in many dealerships. The Bronco run ended in 1996.

But 20 years later, the trial is finally being dramatized on television, and there are Bronco rumors to boot. There are talks of a two-door 4×4 SUV in the works. Though we’ve taken them with a grain of salt, it hasn’t stopped us from speculating. We’ve also had a rendering commissioned:

It remains a piece of American pop history. When you say “white Ford Bronco,” people instantly know the reference. We’re not sure if that would help or hurt the revived Bronco. One thing we do know–If the Bronco were ever revived, we’re sure dealerships would have to deal with being repeatedly asked, “does it come in white?”

http://news.boldride.com/2016/02/o-j-simpson-chase-ford-bronco/98845/
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built Ford Tough
Hah poor OJ! The man can't even be left alone on a car forum while he's in jail.

For people my age (mid-late 30s) the OJ chase and trial probably put the Bronco on the map. I had just gotten my license when the whole thing went down in 1994 and didn't know much about cars, but definitely knew what the Ford Bronco was after OJ. Not surprised that sales went up afterwards.

Wayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Acura TL
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story is really popular right now and the Bronco is probably in a lot of people's consciousness because of it. If Ford is bringing back a Bronco they could capitalize on the timing and announce it now while the series is still going on.

Shocknawe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story is really popular right now and the Bronco is probably in a lot of people's consciousness because of it. If Ford is bringing back a Bronco they could capitalize on the timing and announce it now while the series is still going on.
Problem is if the Bronco isn't due until 2019/2020 that's still 3-4 years away. If a company announces a new model too early they risk people getting bored of talking and hearing about it by the time the car actually comes out. The new NSX is a good example of a car announced way too early.. by the time it was released it seemed stale already, at least to me.

indyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Any publicity is good publicity some say. But ford might not agree with this one. I think they will want as much distance from OJ as possible. Hell i will not be surprised if it doesn't come in white when it comes back!:D

Sponsored

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just saw this... OJ chase White Bronco has been located after 20+ years. It's crazy how much renewed interest there is in the OJ trial and the Ford Bronco due to the FX mini series being on TV. Ford definitely picked a good time to announce that its bringing more SUVs including possibly an all new Bronco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHIEke4YCI

Kris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fusion
Just saw this... OJ chase White Bronco has been located after 20+ years. It's crazy how much renewed interest there is in the OJ trial and the Ford Bronco due to the FX mini series being on TV. Ford definitely picked a good time to announce that its bringing more SUVs including possibly an all new Bronco.
So this wasn't actually OJ's Bronco, but the one that belonged to Al Cowling? In the new FX mini-series they said that there were actually two white Broncos -- OJ's which was impounded by LAPD and Al Cowling's Bronco which was used for the freeway chase.

broncojohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 1967 1968 1973 bronco1929 roadster 1932 roadster tudo
Who? Memories take us back dreams takes us forward

F M L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Who? Memories take us back dreams takes us forward
True but for those of us who are younger and couldn't drive yet when the OJ thing happened it's his Bronco that introduced the car to us. So I think to answer the thread's question, it's a good thing.

Bronco4GOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco, 1995 F150
The OJ chase definitely helped the Bronco, now a permanent piece of pop culture forever in American lore. Who remembers anything else about the trial besides the white Bronco and the glove that didn't fit? That rendering at the end of the article sux. It looks like a typical, generic, pavement loving crossover. Please Ford, look at the rendering the fine folks at this forum created and duplicate it!!!

Sponsored

wiggy

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OJ was immaterial to the demise. If anything OJ was advertising. I think more appropriately the Expedition and F150 redesign in 97 led to the demise of the Bronco.
Agreed. And the public's changing tastes for 4 door SUVs really helped bring about the end of the Bronco. I wonder why Ford didn't just add a 4 door version to meet the changing demand.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed. And the public's changing tastes for 4 door SUVs really helped bring about the end of the Bronco. I wonder why Ford didn't just add a 4 door version to meet the changing demand.
I always figured they did. You know them as Expeditions now. If they were remaking the 150(which they were), the "new 4 door Bronco" would have to be off of that chassis. They just happened to re-badge it at the same time. It has always seemed seamless to me. Apparently with many others, not so much.

niterider006

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised to see OJ in a Bronco commercial.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hah poor OJ! The man can't even be left alone on a car forum while he's in jail.
He's on parole following his release from prison in July 2017. I wonder if he's got one reserved?
Sponsored