Sponsored

The "Safe" Limit, cutting out all the crap.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Longevity and tweaking an engine beyond factory specs are not compatible. Drag racers rebuild their engines every run, but I don't know how long their transmissions last. I'd expect a short time.

If you drive sanely Ford expects their engines/trans to last 200,000 miles I'd say. I have two personal examples. I had a 1990 Taurus SHO. The long-term reports said it would eat transmissions and it's engine was unreliable. So after many years I sold it so I didn't have to pay for all that.....it had 200,000 miles. Never did anything but clutches and brakes. I drove sanely, didn't smoke tires off every light, didn't speed shift every day. Just drove it nice and at times downshifted and goosed it.

Second example: My current F-150 with Triton V8. Claimed to be an unreliable engine/transmission. I towed a lot with it, about 5500 lbs at least. Towed on dirt too, did lots of offroad, drove through rivers, etc. I'm going on 20 years with it now, 240,000 miles. I don't floor it very often, I don't drive 80 MPH in 75 zones. I drive 73, cruise control. Never did anything to it but brakes and a fuel pump, and some ignition modules.

You drive like a drag racer, you're going to replace your transmission or engine or both at about 100,000 miles. Sorry, but longevity and race tuning don't match.
Sponsored